Mardi Gras itineraries

beachbum53

We're trying to plan ahead for a cruise on the Mardi Gras in 2021. Currently, there are only two itineraries to choose from. 7 day Western Caribbean to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay. 7 day Eastern Caribbean to San Juan,  Amber Cove and Grand Turk.  Neither itinerary really excites me. I hope that by the time the Mardi Gras is home ported in Port Canaveral that more itineraries will be posted. Guess we'll just have to wait a while before choosing. 

Welcome to the biggest downfall of mega ships, only so many ports can currently handle them. That is one of the biggest reasons why I haven't been on an Oasis class yet. I really want to. Every time we were looking at a trip, spending more money to go to the most frequented ports just wasn't our favorite option.

I would pick the Eastern route though.

20 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Welcome to the biggest downfall of mega ships, only so many ports can currently handle them. That is one of the biggest reasons why I haven't been on an Oasis class yet. I really want to. Every time we were looking at a trip, spending more money to go to the most frequented ports just wasn't our favorite option.

I would pick the Eastern route though.

I think that's part of the reason that most people stopped buying Hummers. They're too big to fit in a normal garage. As for the (current) itinerary choice, if those are the only two that are offered, I'd probably choose the Western itinerary. We've been to Amber Cove and didn't care for it. We've been to Grand Turk several times and I'm getting burned out on it. San Juan is the only stop on the Eastern itinerary where I might actually get off of the ship.

I guess it depends on where you're from. I picked the eastern route because there's no way I'm flying to Florida to cruise to the same ports I can go to by driving to Galveston or New Orleans. Besides I've been to Cozumel 10 times and Roatan 3 times. As of now I haven't been to any of those eastern ports but I am going to two next month.

'

Edited by Saint Greg

20 minutes ago, Garf said:

I am also looking to book 2021 too on the Mardi Gras, But have covered both itineraries 2 or 3 times already.

Choices, choices, choices.  I have sailed to Cozumel 13 times on a cruise ship, mostly for the ship.  Carnival tends to the put the new ships in the established itineraries.

I so want to cruise on the Mardi Gras, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when I've done those itineraries countless times (I know, first world problems) cheaper.  I understand it's a new ship so we're paying for that but I was hoping for better ports to go along with the ship.

17 minutes ago, ABCGreys said:

I so want to cruise on the Mardi Gras, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when I've done those itineraries countless times (I know, first world problems) cheaper.  I understand it's a new ship so we're paying for that but I was hoping for better ports to go along with the ship.

You can wait, but this is a common practice.

25 minutes ago, ABCGreys said:

My thoughts exactly. It appears we're in the same boat (no pun intended).

• Haha 1

We actually booked Mardi Gras 2 years early cause of how cheap it was (even splurged for Interior Havana room) to do it this early. We normally book things few months out but doubt we'd ever be able to do that with the Mardi Gras with pricing how it is now 🙂

• 1 month later...

We actually just booked the Mardi Gras for Feb 2021. We chose the Eastern (Amber Cove, San Juan, and Grand Turk). My take is that the ship is going to be our destination and we will be focused more on offerings and activities and things to do onboard more so than the ports. We have done both Grand Turk and San Juan, but have not done Amber Cove. We absolutely love Grand Turk and unfortunately can only visit if we are on Carnival or Princess ships. San Juan we just visited last month while on our Harmony cruise, and probably won't get off the ship there and take advantage of discounted spa services and a less crowded ship. For us, cruising the caribbean is more about what a ship has to offer than the actual ports. That's why we prefer ships like the Oasis class. Honestly, we had sworn off Carnival, but decided to give this new concept a try!

On 11/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, beachbum53 said:

I hope that by the time the Mardi Gras is home ported in Port Canaveral that more itineraries will be posted.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “by the time the Mardi Gras is home ported in Port Canaveral.” The two itineraries you mention include itineraries out of Port Canaveral. All the way through April of 2022, in fact. If they eventually have different itineraries for this ship it will be great, I agree, but it won’t coincide with it arriving at its home port. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

I'm doing the Eastern route in Nov. I've never been to any of the ports before. Excited about Grand Turk and San Juan... less excited about Amber Cove, but I'm sure we'll find something to do. I've never been on a mega ship before and none of the big RCCL ones really spark my interest. Hopefully most of the new ship kinks get worked out before our sailing. Fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “by the time the Mardi Gras is home ported in Port Canaveral.” The two itineraries you mention include itineraries out of Port Canaveral. All the way through April of 2022, in fact. If they eventually have different itineraries for this ship it will be great, I agree, but it won’t coincide with it arriving at its home port. 

After the Mardi Gras arrives in New York for its' welcome to the US,  it will then go to Port Canaveral where it will be home ported until some time in 2022. While it is there, it will alternate between a 7 day Eastern and a 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. The ports for each itinerary will remain the same. We've done both itineraries before, and quite honestly neither excites me. I would like to see a few Southern Caribbean itineraries mixed in. I know that a lot of people will book the Mardi Gras just to be on the ship, regardless of itinerary. When we book a cruise, the itinerary is just as important as which ship we are on. 

4 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

After the Mardi Gras arrives in New York for its' welcome to the US,  it will then go to Port Canaveral where it will be home ported until some time in 2022. While it is there, it will alternate between a 7 day Eastern and a 7 day Western Caribbean itinerary. The ports for each itinerary will remain the same. We've done both itineraries before, and quite honestly neither excites me. I would like to see a few Southern Caribbean itineraries mixed in. I know that a lot of people will book the Mardi Gras just to be on the ship, regardless of itinerary. When we book a cruise, the itinerary is just as important as which ship we are on. 

Thanks, however, I’m aware of all this info already. What I am confused with is your comment about hoping for new itineraries when it gets to its home port. We already know what the itineraries out of its home port are. Which is what I was pointing out. They are already posted. And they are only the two that you mentioned. I think the confusion lies in your reference to when it gets to its home port. What I’m guessing you meant to say is that you are hoping when future itineraries are released, for the rest of 2022 and beyond, there will be some new ones listed. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

19 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Thanks, however, I’m aware of all this info already. What I am confused with is your comment about hoping for new itineraries when it gets to its home port. We already know what the itineraries out of its home port are. Which is what I was pointing out. They are already posted. And they are only the two that you mentioned. I think the confusion lies in your reference to when it gets to its home port. What I’m guessing you meant to say is that you are hoping when future itineraries are released, for the rest of 2022 and beyond, there will be some new ones listed. 

Not exactly. Itineraries can be changed without advanced notice. What I was (and still am) hoping for is that Carnival will change some of the posted itineraries for 2021 to include something other than alternating between the Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries already scheduled.  

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Not exactly. Itineraries can be changed without advanced notice. What I was (and still am) hoping for is that Carnival will change some of the posted itineraries for 2021 to include something other than alternating between the Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries already scheduled.  

Possibly, but prob not till the sister ship comes over in 2022

20 hours ago, MCC retired said:

The Mega ships attract those where onboard features are primary with 

itineraries secondary . 
Ports that can handle them are limited.

Interesting comment about port handling larger ships.  There certainly are restrictions, but would love to know which ports they are.  I realize tender ports are out.  

1 minute ago, tandemcruzr said:

Why are tender ports out?

While I do know that they are, the evidence to date from other mega liners is that the logistics just do not work.  It simply takes to long to get 6000+ cruisers on and off via tenders.