Just got off my. Crystal Ravel Cruise Vienna to Vienna

SuiteTraveler

Have yet to try Crystal but their product looks fabulous ocean and river, in terms of food/service and comfort.

Albeit some say the ocean cabins in some categories are smaller than some other brands, but we would be happy to try them.

So much depends on the staff on board on the sailing, including the quality of the cruise directors. Even menus can look good but the food delivered can differ.

we had a cruise with a well known and popular dessert on offer, when it was delivered it looked nothing like we and others have experienced. We all laughed, tasted ok but nothing like what it was meant to be. 

Also if there are issues with interruptions related to water levels or other matters how these things are managed, especially the communication of information on board and pre/post travel.

Nothing is perfect and its wonderful to have choices.

Finding a good fit is important because we are all different and have variable requirements and budgets. 

I have booked my first cruise on the Ravel with my sister for next October - Vienna Return. My husband and I did this exact itinerary a couple of years ago on Crystal Mozart and loved it. If Mozart was still available we would have chosen her but alas that's not the case. Ravel is the only Crystal river ship to offer a 10 day itinerary at that time. Can anyone tell me if the Ravel is identical to the Bach? I've never cruised on the Bach but my sister and I did go on board for a visit when it was docked in Amsterdam in July. We thought the Bach was lovely and it actually didn't feel as small as I was expecting it to, even compared to the Mozart although of course it is much much narrower.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 6:30 AM, kent9xxx1 said:

Currently on the Crystal Bach and it is wonderful.  I highly recommend Crystal river cruises.  
They do have a few areas to improve on, but overall, top notch.

I want to do a few other rivers but Crystal does not serve those markets.  I wonder how Uniworld is compare to Crystal.  

I've been on Uniworld and it is fairly similar EXCEPT you need to be in a Junior Suite on Uniworld for it to be similar to a Deluxe Suite with Panoramic Balcony-Window which means it is much more expensive.  The food is almost as good on Uniworld, but I liked the overall atmosphere on Crystal Ravel better.  I did like the Old World luxury interiors on Uniworld - very beautiful how they have designed each ship for the area in which it is cruising.  I heard a rumor that Crystal will begin cruising more rivers in Europe - apparently around 2022.  I desperately hope this rumor is true because I would love to do a France cruise on Crystal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

I have booked my first cruise on the Ravel with my sister for next October - Vienna Return. My husband and I did this exact itinerary a couple of years ago on Crystal Mozart and loved it. If Mozart was still available we would have chosen her but alas that's not the case. Ravel is the only Crystal river ship to offer a 10 day itinerary at that time. Can anyone tell me if the Ravel is identical to the Bach? I've never cruised on the Bach but my sister and I did go on board for a visit when it was docked in Amsterdam in July. We thought the Bach was lovely and it actually didn't feel as small as I was expecting it to, even compared to the Mozart although of course it is much much narrower.

Shirin,

All of the 4 remaining Crystal river boats are identical in layout. I don't know if things like soft goods - carpet, drapes, upholstery, etc. are identical - but I'm sure all is of the same quality. Yes, I too am sorry that the Mozart won't be available to the "western" market. It was very special, wasn't it.

Patty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yes, I too am sorry that the Mozart won't be available to the "western" market. It was very special, wasn't it.

Who would have thought one of the older boats on the Danube would be "so special" to many of us. Not one person ever said anything negative about her and not only that - she was very highly praised! She will probably always be one of my favorites if not "the favorite". My vacation last year on her will probably be one of my fondest memories for vacations.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I agree with you Patti and Coral - I can only cross fingers that Mozart and river cruising might not appeal as much as Genting think it will to the Asian and mainly Chinese market and that it reverts back to what it was, but somehow I don't think that will happen. 

I'm pleased though that the other Crystal river ships are also getting very good reviews. Plus one for a Crystal river cruise in France!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

I agree with you Patti and Coral - I can only cross fingers that Mozart and river cruising might not appeal as much as Genting think it will to the Asian and mainly Chinese market and that it reverts back to what it was, but somehow I don't think that will happen. 

I'm pleased though that the other Crystal river ships are also getting very good reviews. Plus one for a Crystal river cruise in France!

Remember that Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel have French composer names because they were originally going to be a smaller design to sail on French rivers.  Crystal changed that at the last minute to make them identical to Bach and Mahler.  So the sudden shift of Mozart to their Asian marque is actually the second about-face for Crystal since announcing the river cruising project.  I hope their current management has finally worked through all the ill-thought-out plans and set the company on a realistic expansion course.  It would be good if they continue to expand in river cruising with the high standards they have set.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Remember that Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel have French composer names because they were originally going to be a smaller design to sail on French rivers.  Crystal changed that at the last minute to make them identical to Bach and Mahler.  So the sudden shift of Mozart to their Asian marque is actually the second about-face for Crystal since announcing the river cruising project.  I hope their current management has finally worked through all the ill-thought-out plans and set the company on a realistic expansion course.  It would be good if they continue to expand in river cruising with the high standards they have set.

There was originally supposed to be 6 ships also. I am glad we are past the "Edie era" and there are no more planes scheduled. 

I also hope they will expand their presence on the rivers. Though, it is a very crowded field. They really need to get their new ocean ship out.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

There was originally supposed to be 6 ships also. I am glad we are past the "Edie era" and there are no more planes scheduled. 

I also hope they will expand their presence on the rivers. Though, it is a very crowded field. They really need to get their new ocean ship out.

Four new directions at the same time was always crazy.  Even without the airplanes they still have oceans [should always have been no. 1 priority – their present ships are a big liability against all their competition, and the recent changes are basically lipstick on a pig as those ships just keep getting more obsolete], yachts [do they need this?  so many others seem to have read the same focus group report...], and rivers [a good move, IMO, since they have been able to put themselves at the very top of the pack].  But even if the parent organization's money is unlimited, Crystal management's attention and ability isn't.  [Thankfully Edie doesn't seem to have ruined – or even impacted in any way – Ponant...]

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Four new directions at the same time was always crazy.  Even without the airplanes they still have oceans [should always have been no. 1 priority – their present ships are a big liability against all their competition, and the recent changes are basically lipstick on a pig as those ships just keep getting more obsolete], 

Of all the ships I have been on, I still think the Serenity is the most perfect ship. Right size, right layout, etc...

It doesn't have the larger cabins that newer ships have or bells and whistles but honestly, I am not into the bells and whistles. Right now, I will take an older ocean ship over a new one any day. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 12:58 PM, ClefsDor said:

Can anyone tell me if the Ravel is identical to the Bach?

We've sailed both Bach and Ravel and actually spotted a minor difference between them!  It's the location of the public washroom on Deck 2.  On Bach, it's next to the the pantry in the reception area while on Ravel it's behind the stairs/elevator that lead to the stateroom corridor.  We thought the location on Ravel was an improvement over Bach since it's in a less trafficked area and therefore more private.

We rafted with Mozart a couple of months ago and had a brief tour as we passed through.  The vessel is gorgeous!  We lamented that we wouldn't get the chance to sail Mozart unless the Asian market fails to meet expectations and it returns to the Crystal river fleet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

We've sailed both Bach and Ravel and actually spotted a minor difference between them!  It's the location of the public washroom on Deck 2. 

Thanks MightyQuinn, does that mean that things like colour palette and soft furnishings are also identical in the public spaces such as Waterside?

3 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Thanks MightyQuinn, does that mean that things like colour palette and soft furnishings are also identical in the public spaces such as Waterside?

Hi Shirin.  It was 18 months between our sailing on Bach and Ravel but, as far as we could remember, everything was the same except the location of the Deck 2 public washroom.  Waterside, Palm Court and the Bistro had identical furnishings and colour palettes on both vessels, as did other public spaces.  We also stayed in the same stateroom on both cruises and they were identically furnished and outfitted.  Hope you love your Vienna-Vienna sailing as much as we did!  Kate

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

and the recent changes are basically lipstick on a pig as those ships just keep getting more obsolete], 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd hardly call the Symphony and the Serenity a pig. The latest in bells and whistles isn't necessarily an advantage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd hardly call the Symphony and the Serenity a pig. The latest in bells and whistles isn't necessarily an advantage. 

Not looking for bells and whistles, just larger cabins, larger bathrooms, dining room designed for (not retrofitted to) anytime dining.  The competition in the luxury ocean cruising area has passed Crystal by – but they do finally have new ships in the planning stage [planned for 2022, if no further delays].

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not looking for bells and whistles, just larger cabins, larger bathrooms, dining room designed for (not retrofitted to) anytime dining.  The competition in the luxury ocean cruising area has passed Crystal by – but they do finally have new ships in the planning stage [planned for 2022, if no further delays].

I'm one who isn't exactly anxious for that as all of those things will cause me to be priced out of the single supplement as many of us solo cruisers are on the new "fancy" ships. Isn't it great that you can get what you "need" and I can get what I "need", at least for a few more years?

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

... their present ships are a big liability against all their competition, and the recent changes are basically lipstick on a pig as those ships just keep getting more obsolete]...

Maybe so.  But have you noticed the many new posters on the Crystal forum who are migrating over from mass market and premium lines?  It's been noticeable for a few months that Crystal ocean is attracting renewed interest here on CC.  Some have already returned from their first Crystal cruise and report being crystallized while others have yet to sail.  Will they stay with Crystal?  Who knows?  Is CC representative of the cruising population?  Probably not.  But I don't think Crystal can be written off that easily. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I guess I don't care if a ship is retrofitted for anytime dining or setup originally. If I remember correctly, Crystal reduced passenger count when they made adjustments to their ships. How many lines are doing that?

Again - the Serenity for me is the perfect ship. Not too large, not too small - just the right size with the right amenities, service and quality of food. 

I am one who doesn't care about size of cabin. I used to sail with someone who always wanted a suite or minisuite/junior suite. So I have been in every type of cabin on main stream lines. For me - I am perfectly fine with the smallest size room on the ship. I don't spend much time in there. I also don't need a very large bathroom. Really - how much time does one spend in there?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Hope you love your Vienna-Vienna sailing as much as we did!  Kate

Thank you, Kate! I've done this itinerary before on the Mozart and loved it but it will be a first for my sister. It's a great itinerary - only thing I would change is I would love a 10 day cruise that started in Vienna and ended in Budapest or vice versa. On our last cruise we were in Budapest overnight but it was freezing and there was even some snow and this was in April. No one had packed for that kind of weather so it was really hard to see as much as we would have liked in beautiful Budapest. Hoping that an October cruise won't be as cold but we will at least be better prepared.