Just got off my. Crystal Ravel Cruise Vienna to Vienna

SuiteTraveler

WOW!  What a wonderful cruise it was!  Ship was first class,  cabin was great,  food was outstanding, ports were outstanding, entertainment was outstanding.  We thoroughly enjoyed this vacation.  I just finished writing a review and hopefully it will be posted in the next day or two but I just want to say, this was possibly the best and most perfect vacation we have ever experienced.  If you are wondering if you should take a Crystal river cruise, my answer is yes.  

• Like 4

We got off Crystal Ravel on the same Vienna-Vienna itinerary exactly a month ago and I couldn't agree more!  Crystal really delivers a fantastic experience.  We had no idea how much we'd enjoy river cruising until we sailed Crystal Bach during tulip time last spring.  Now we're hooked.  I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise and look forward to reading your review.

• Like 1

i just got off crystal bach on a basel to amsterdam rhein river cruise.  this was my first cruise on crystal and my first river cruise.  i can only agree with suite traveler 1000%.

the cabin was fabulous.  the crew were incredible.  the food was outstanding and at least 5 star michelin.  the ports were very interesting and the tour guides really knew their facts and interesting places to go on our own.  after this fabulous river cruise, i booked a christmas market cruise on the mahler for december 2020 and i can't wait for that experience.  and since i've never sailed on a crystal ocean cruise, i've booked a serenity cruise for sept. 2021 from quebec to nyc. and a symphony cruise from lisbon to rome in november, 2022.  i'll neve go back to princess or holland america again.  and even though i liked celebrity, i'm a crystal only passenger now!

• Like 4

Currently on the Crystal Bach and it is wonderful.  I highly recommend Crystal river cruises.  
They do have a few areas to improve on, but overall, top notch.

I want to do a few other rivers but Crystal does not serve those markets.  I wonder how Uniworld is compare to Crystal.  

• Like 1

I've been on several Uniworld cruises and one Crystal river cruise, and I think they both offer similar experiences.  Itineraries and offered excursions, staff, customer service, food were very comparable.  My husband and I thought that the entertainment on board Uniworld was generally a little more lively and provided more opportunity to mingle and dance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you are trying to match the quality of food on Crystal, the Berlitz Guide says AmaWaterways has the best food (and spends the most on ingredients).

I wonder if when they elevated that, they even had compared/considered Crystal. I have cruised both and I thought Crystal was quite a bit better. Just my opinion.

Edited by Coral

They have had that rating since before Crystal started river cruises, and they haven't revised the book to reflect their ratings of Crystal.  It may change.  But the question was who's closest to Crystal and that should still be AMA.

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They have had that rating since before Crystal started river cruises, and they haven't revised the book to reflect their ratings of Crystal.  It may change.  But the question was who's closest to Crystal and that should still be AMA.

On the one criteria of food. And if you agree with Berlitz. I haven't sailed enough lines to see if I agree with their views.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

On the one criteria of food. And if you agree with Berlitz. I haven't sailed enough lines to see if I agree with their views.

Actually, no – not just on the one criterion of food.  You forced me to go back and look it up – and what do you know, Berlitz has included Crystal ratings and still prefers Ama for the top three ships overall ratings.

River Cruising in Europe & the USA (3rd edition 2018), page 115:  "The Top 10 Performers":

#1 AmaKristina             427 points (out of 500)   4+ stars (out of 5)

#2 AmaViola                  425 points   4+ stars

#3 AmaStella                 424 points   4+ stars

#4 Crystal Debussy      424 points    4+ stars

#5 Crystal Ravel            424 points    4+ stars

#6 AmaSerena              423 points    4+ stars

#7 Crystal Mahler         423 points    4+ stars

#8 Crystal Bach            422 points    4+ stars

#9 AmaPrima               421 points    4+ stars

#10 AmaReina              421 points    4+ stars

I'm not saying that Berlitz is the be-all and end-all, but they are the most objective source out there and their ratings are based on more experience on more ships than anyone else.  The small point difference among these top-10 ships is basically a statistical draw.

• Like 1

@Host JazzbeauJazzbeau this is a impressive list. I am getting more and more interested in this guide. Do they rate European ships/operators?

Perhaps I can get hold of the guide somewhere, but this being an American edition shipping costs might make me decide against a purchase.

SuiteTraveller good to read you had a lovely time. Who knows, Crystal might decide to add the Rhone. For a foodie this could be a great river to add. The Elbe river and Crystal, that is one that does not compute... But let's see what they come up with in the future.

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually, no – not just on the one criterion of food.  You forced me to go back and look it up – and what do you know, Berlitz has included Crystal ratings and still prefers Ama for the top three ships overall ratings.

River Cruising in Europe & the USA (3rd edition 2018), page 115:  "The Top 10 Performers":

#1 AmaKristina             427 points (out of 500)   4+ stars (out of 5)

#2 AmaViola                  425 points   4+ stars

#3 AmaStella                 424 points   4+ stars

#4 Crystal Debussy      424 points    4+ stars

#5 Crystal Ravel            424 points    4+ stars

#6 AmaSerena              423 points    4+ stars

#7 Crystal Mahler         423 points    4+ stars

#8 Crystal Bach            422 points    4+ stars

#9 AmaPrima               421 points    4+ stars

#10 AmaReina              421 points    4+ stars

I'm not saying that Berlitz is the be-all and end-all, but they are the most objective source out there and their ratings are based on more experience on more ships than anyone else.  The small point difference among these top-10 ships is basically a statistical draw.

Thanks for posting that. Having sailed both, I did not find them even close. It is possible AMA stepped up their game. I have never even looked at Berlitz Guide to see what they have to say.

Oddly - the lines I am looking at outside of Crystal are Uniworld and Tauck. 

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@Host JazzbeauJazzbeau this is a impressive list. I am getting more and more interested in this guide. Do they rate European ships/operators?

Perhaps I can get hold of the guide somewhere, but this being an American edition shipping costs might make me decide against a purchase.

SuiteTraveller good to read you had a lovely time. Who knows, Crystal might decide to add the Rhone. For a foodie this could be a great river to add. The Elbe river and Crystal, that is one that does not compute... But let's see what they come up with in the future.

notamermaid

I think it's actually published in England.  But it is available from Amazon Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/Berlitz-River-Cruising-Europe-Cruise/dp/1785730606/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=berlitz+river+cruising&qid=1574439044&sr=8-3

The next edition will be published in June 2020:

https://www.amazon.de/Berlitz-River-Cruising-Europe-Cruise/dp/1785732234/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=berlitz+river+cruising&qid=1574439145&sr=8-1

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I haven't sailed with AMA, but have a friend and I trust her opinion, and she has said that AMA is no where nearly as good as Crystal. I'd always heard that Uniworld and Tauck were the closest to Crystal. You know what they say about opinions!! 😋😎

I have done both and I didn't think they were in the same league. I am not ruling them out for the future but they wouldn't be my first choice.

On 11/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you are trying to match the quality of food on Crystal, the Berlitz Guide says AmaWaterways has the best food (and spends the most on ingredients).

I’ve cruised AMA, Uniworld and Crystal (twice now) and I think the Berlitz guide is wrong. Crystal’s food is far superior and besides how would the Berlitz people even know how much each line spends on food?  None of the river cruise lines are publicly-traded so where would they get this information from?  Also isn’t it a little suspect that the Berlitz guide was published before Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel came out but yet they have ratings in the book?  How does that work?

40 minutes ago, NJCruiserBoy said:

I’ve cruised AMA, Uniworld and Crystal (twice now) and I think the Berlitz guide is wrong. Crystal’s food is far superior and besides how would the Berlitz people even know how much each line spends on food?  None of the river cruise lines are publicly-traded so where would they get this information from?  Also isn’t it a little suspect that the Berlitz guide was published before Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel came out but yet they have ratings in the book?  How does that work?

You are making a serious charge against the honesty of the Berlitz guide, based apparently only on the fact that you don't know the answer to your question about how they know what is spent on food.  Isn't it possible that they asked?–and with their market power, their questions were answered?  As to dates, Crystal Debussy's maiden voyage started on April 9, 2018 and Crystal Ravel's was on May 10, 2018.  The latest Berlitz guide was published on July 1, 2018.  There would have been press showings before the maiden voyages, which means it is possible that Berlitz staff did visit Debussy and Ravel before the copy deadline–I don't know if they did, but I wouldn't announce a verdict unless I had some evidence.

The Berlitz guides aren't perfect – I am aware of errors in both books that betray sloppy editing – but they are the most comprehensive and objective sources we have.  The actual experience of Cruise Critic members is very good, but statistically limited (and sometimes undercut by hyperbole and conspiracy theories).

Finally, my initial post in this thread was an answer to @kent9xxx1 who wanted a comparison to Crystal for river cruises on itineraries that Crystal doesn't sail:

On 11/21/2019 at 7:30 AM, kent9xxx1 said:

I want to do a few other rivers but Crystal does not serve those markets.  I wonder how Uniworld is compare to Crystal.  

Saying that there is nothing as good as Crystal doesn't help, especially since their river fleet is shrinking rather than expanding.

I walked through some AMA ships when they docked side by side.  The ships are not as nice by a considerable margin.  

If looking at the other stats like guest to crew ratio, room size, they don’t compete well in that either.  

How do the Berlitz guide rate them so high? 

3 hours ago, NJCruiserBoy said:

Personally - I am trusting the people who have sailed both lines or in your case, 3 lines for comparisons and opinions. I know nothing about Berlitz to know how objective they are. 

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Finally, my initial post in this thread was an answer to @kent9xxx1 who wanted a comparison to Crystal for river cruises on itineraries that Crystal doesn't sail:

Saying that there is nothing as good as Crystal doesn't help, especially since their river fleet is shrinking rather than expanding.

Every line has to start somewhere! Amawaterways (also known early on as Amadeuswaterways) didn't start with a large fleet either.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are making a serious charge against the honesty of the Berlitz guide, based apparently only on the fact that you don't know the answer to your question about how they know what is spent on food.  Isn't it possible that they asked?–and with their market power, their questions were answered?  As to dates, Crystal Debussy's maiden voyage started on April 9, 2018 and Crystal Ravel's was on May 10, 2018.  The latest Berlitz guide was published on July 1, 2018.  There would have been press showings before the maiden voyages, which means it is possible that Berlitz staff did visit Debussy and Ravel before the copy deadline–I don't know if they did, but I wouldn't announce a verdict unless I had some evidence.

The Berlitz guides aren't perfect – I am aware of errors in both books that betray sloppy editing – but they are the most comprehensive and objective sources we have.  The actual experience of Cruise Critic members is very good, but statistically limited (and sometimes undercut by hyperbole and conspiracy theories).

Not necessarily a bad thing that Crystal has a limited number of ships.  Rather than mass marketing like some river cruise lines, they can provide a more concentrated effort on what they offer to passengers, and from my experience they excel in almost every aspect of their product.  For me their only real downfall is that their cruises are limited to the Rhine, Moselle and Danube. I agree that you have to sort through some of the subjectivity of Cruise Critic comments, but they are a valuable resource when considering a river cruise.

Hi, I have never sailed with Crystal but I took an AMA cruise in 2016 and am sailing with them again in April.

I loved my first cruise with them and very much looking forward to this upcoming one as well.

I just returned last month from my first cruise with UNIWORLD and loved it too. 

Maybe one day I will try Crystal but I would sail both AMA and UNIWORLD again.

When some of you say there is no comparison between xxx and Crystal? Oh well, I will suck it up and enjoy

myself:classic_biggrin: anyway.