MSC UK Reply re Missing Ocean Cay 20% Discount

nikkiw60

I rang MSC UK on Thursday morning with a view to booking a cruise using the 20% rebate.  The rep told me that she hadn't heard anything about it and asked me to email her a photo of the letter we'd received onboard so she could forward it to booking management, which I did.  I'm still awaiting a response.

Bea , I rang on Thursday also and  the lady I spoke with checked with a manager as she had not heard about it.

The response I got was to allow 10 days for the voucher!!

People in the US are saying voucher valid for 2 yrs but Europeans (Germany) saying 1 year

Liz

Edited by emmas gran
spelling

10 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Bea , I rang on Thursday also and  the lady I spoke with checked with a manager as she had not heard about it.

The response I got was to allow 10 days for the voucher!!

People in the US are saying voucher valid for 2 yrs but Europeans (Germany) saying 1 year

Liz

Perhaps dependent based on national/local laws???

Booking terms seem to vary from US, UK, Germany etc

• Like 1

I emailed MSC yesterday to get an update on last Thursday's enquiry re using our 20% against a VCS cruise.  The rep rang me in reply to say that it couldn't be used in conjunction with the 5+10% VCS discount.  She didn't know the discount total that we are entitled to, so I asked her if she could get confirmation of the amount so that I can make a decision on a booking using it.  I'm still awaiting a response.

Communication is not their strong point Bea! Someone comes up with telling passengers they will get 20% off, passengers go home and no one else knows what is going on.

I did warn that there may be strings attached to this offer and it has not taken them long to prove me right.

• Like 1

It seems like I was supposed to book the cruise I'm considering and then wait for the amount to be disclosed later when MSC decides to deduct it from the booking total - talk about taking a leap of faith!  No way am I putting a (non-refundable) deposit down before knowing what MSC has decided is my 20% rebate.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

As you were not booked on a b2b will they give you back 20% of the overall cost of the cruise or just the NYC to Miami part ?

I can't see how they could separate it out - it's 20% back off what you paid, so we should get 20% off the total.

I think we may be the only ones who booked it as a 23 night cruise;  we met a few people who did it over 2 legs - a 10 night plus a 13 night - but we never met anyone else who had only one booking number for a 23 night cruise.

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I can't see how they could separate it out - it's 20% back off what you paid, so we should get 20% off the total.

I think we may be the only ones who booked it as a 23 night cruise;  we met a few people who did it over 2 legs - a 10 night plus a 13 night - but we never met anyone else who had only one booking number for a 23 night cruise.

Hope you get for the full cruise.

I had been hoping we could use on a VCS one also. We should be able to still get the 5% though?

2 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

Hope you get for the full cruise.

I had been hoping we could use on a VCS one also. We should be able to still get the 5% though?

Thanks, Nikki.

Yes, the rep did say that the 5% discount would be applicable along with the rebate.  Still waiting for confirmation of the amount. 🙄 

Just now, Beamafar said:

Thanks, Nikki.

Yes, the rep did say that the 5% discount would be applicable along with the rebate.  Still waiting for confirmation of the amount. 🙄 

I emailed them again yesterday but no reply yet.

Update, we have finally got our refund email, and it is more than generous!
However it has come via the travel agent we used and only valid for 1 year unlike our American friends! Valid till 28th October 2020.

27 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

Update, we have finally got our refund email, and it is more than generous!

Do you mean that it's more than 20% of what you originally paid for the cruise?

We still haven't received anything, yet.  Must get on to them tomorrow and chase it up.

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Do you mean that it's more than 20% of what you originally paid for the cruise?

We still haven't received anything, yet.  Must get on to them tomorrow and chase it up.

Hi Bea it’s what we expected to receive, it has to be used on a new booking and made before 28/10/20. Did you use an agent as they sent to agents

Liz. 

2 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Bea it’s what we expected to receive, it has to be used on a new booking and made before 28/10/20. Did you use an agent as they sent to agents

Liz. 

Hi Liz ... We booked directly with MSC, which you'd think we'd hear more quickly than them contacting a TA who then has to contact their clients.  🙄

I'm prepared to make a booking now for 2021 but am not willing to make it without knowing exactly how much they've decided our discount is.

50 minutes ago, sidari said:

Nikki ... MSC are taking the proverbial with the time limit, you should go back to them and complain seeing as those in the US were given two years, it smack's of favouritism.

I made this point speaking to them today , USA had the voucher within a couple of days as did Germany. We are always the “poor relation” in these matters but I guess we have to grin and bear it 

25 minutes ago, sidari said:

EG ... You shouldn't have to grin and bear it though should you.

No but that seems to be how it is this side of the pond, there are a whole set of different rules.

I spent 15 min on the phone chasing said voucher this morning, then at around 4 pm recd email stating voucher was sent to TA used for booking yesterday. I don’t even want to try and understand how MSC works!!

Liz