Amex offer 11/16/19 — 3/31/20

ZoeyVictoria

On 11/16/2019 at 11:34 PM, 4_THE_HALIBUT said:

Doesn’t work for Cruise Cash, but you can use it to pay on an existing reservation. I usually only pay $500 on Amex, then pay the rest on my credit card that has travel insurance. If you don’t have a PVP, the website allows split payments.

Careful; usually to get the benefits (insurance, baggage protection, etc.) of a credit card the entire trip needs to be on that card 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Use the back door americanexpress.com/wlcl 

I was able to do this on the card I use less frequently, but not the card I use all the time.  Should I be able to apply to both?  Thanks for sharing the link 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:09 PM, RWolver672 said:

I did load the card on the offer before I made the payment and it is listed as two separate charges both on Nov 17th.  What I get a kick out of it is that instead of one at $500 or two at $250, they did $238 and $262.  Why the odd combination?

I will give it a couple of days to see if the rebate comes through.  Naturally the charges popped up instantly.  It will be interesting because I made the reservations in June and the deal said something about having to make them between two dates that were after June.

Update - I just checked my AMEX account.  The $100 rebate was posted on Nov 19th.  Two days after I made the payment.  Apparently even though the offer said the reservation needed to be made after Nov 15th, they still honored it if it was made before that.

13 minutes ago, cmptrwiz said:

I need to prepay the gratuities for 3 cabins (6 people) for $587.58.  Do you think the transaction would appear as one charge on the credit card and qualify for the $100 credit or as 3 separate transactions?

It will come through as three separate transactions but as long as they hit all on the same statement and you add the offer to your card before you pay you’ll get the credit. You will not get the immediate email from Amex stating you’re getting the credit but once the charges post to your next billing statement and they add up to $500 or more the credit will be triggered.

7 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It will come through as three separate transactions but as long as they hit all on the same statement and you add the offer to your card before you pay you’ll get the credit. You will not get the immediate email from Amex stating you’re getting the credit but once the charges post to your next billing statement and they add up to $500 or more the credit will be triggered.

I have added the offer to my card.  So I think I’ll call my PVP and see if she can make it one transaction.  I have carnival gift cards so I could save 10%, but I would really like to get the 20% AE offers.

My PVP volunteered to put $500 on one booking so the charge would appear as one charge of $500, then transfer part of the money to another booking.  That would have worked because it was a brand new booking, therefore more than $500 was due.  Not sure that could be done if there is less than $500 due on one booking.  Still very nice of him to volunteer to do that.

Is there anything in the offer that says it has to be for one transaction?  Or is it just "spend $500 with Carnival, get $100 back" as a credit to your card?  Why would AMEX care whether you spent $250 in 2 separate charges as long as the payments are against your bookings?

Since I don't have the offer (yet), I can't read the fine print.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, aaronm120 said:

Any idea if this works to buy Cruise Cash? I'd rather use one of my other credit cards that offers trip insurance and better rewards for travel to actually pay for the reservation itself.

DETAILS

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend $500+ on cruise line sailings with Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, or Cunard by 3/31/2020. See wlcl.com/amex. For reservations only. Terms and exclusions apply.

OFFER TERMS

Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Offer valid only for reservations booked between 11/15/2019 and 3/31/2020 with (1) Carnival Cruise Line at Carnival.com or phone 1-800-764-7419, (2) Holland America Line at Hollandamerica.com or phone 1-877-932-4259, (3) Princess Cruises at Princess.com or phone 1-800-774-6237, (4) Seabourn at Seabourn.com or phone 1-866-755-5619, or (5) Cunard at Cunard.com or phone 1-800-728-6273. Valid only on purchases made in US dollars. Must be booked on the respective cruise line’s US website only. The respective cruise line’s standard booking requirements, policies, restrictions and ticket contract apply. Cruises are subject to availability and capacity controlled. Please note that cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Offer is non-transferable. Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member. The enrolled Card account must not be cancelled or past due to receive statement credit. Any benefit earned from this offer is in addition to the rewards (i.e. Membership Rewards or cash back) earned as part of your existing Card benefits, but your ability to earn spend-based rewards for the purchase will be based on the amount after any statement credit or other discount is applied. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 3/31/2020, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: GEDC:0001

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Is there anything in the offer that says it has to be for one transaction?  Or is it just "spend $500 with Carnival, get $100 back" as a credit to your card?  Why would AMEX care whether you spent $250 in 2 separate charges as long as the payments are against your bookings?

Here you go

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

You can use the offer for multiple transactions that add up to at least $500 on one billing statement. It’s just that with multiple transactions adding up to $500 or more you don’t get the immediate alert email from Amex that you’ve redeemed the offer. From my experience the charges have to hit your billing statement and then the credit is generated.

7 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

So you can't use it to make a payment on an existing booking?  I have 4 cruises booked.  Last offer, I was able to simply make a payment toward an existing booking and got the credit. 😒 

Yes it’s always worked on existing reservations and still does.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

The new Amex offer just appeared, $100 off $500, reservations only, expires 3/31/20.

Thanks, I usually catch these but hadn't seen it yet.  It was on my regular green card but not the Delta Gold.  Will save me $100 on my upcoming Horizon trip.  Used one a few months back as well.     

OFFER TERMS

Offer valid only for reservations booked between 11/15/2019 and 3/31/2020 with (1) Carnival Cruise Line at Carnival.com or phone 1-800-764-7419   Not true.  I booked our cruise in June, 2019 and I got the rebate.  Must be booked on the respective cruise line’s US website only.  Again, not true.  I booked our cruise through our PVP over the phone.

I would suggest that if you have an AMEX card with the offer, put the offer on your card and try it.  It looks like as long as you spend the $500, you'll get the $100 back.  The worst that could happen is that you didn't get the rebate but you've knocked down what you owe by $500.

• Like 1

Apparently spouses can no longer redeem this on separate online accounts if they are tied to the same rewards program. Per my phone call earlier tonight this is effective 11/1. For those of you redeeming multiples this may come into play.   

8 hours ago, figdu said:

Apparently spouses can no longer redeem this on separate online accounts if they are tied to the same rewards program. Per my phone call earlier tonight this is effective 11/1. For those of you redeeming multiples this may come into play.   

I don’t think this is correct information. There’s nothing in the terms and conditions about this change and if they didn’t want additional card holders to take advantage of these benefits they wouldn’t offer them on their accounts.

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I don’t think this is correct information. There’s nothing in the terms and conditions about this change and if they didn’t want additional card holders to take advantage of these benefits they wouldn’t offer them on their accounts.

Someone posted in another thread that they were able to redeem on both spouses accounts. IIRC the thread is in Princess and of course is about the AMEX offer.

I will see later if it disappears as available on DW's account after I use it on mine.

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Someone posted in another thread that they were able to redeem on both spouses accounts. IIRC the thread is in Princess and of course is about the AMEX offer.

I will see later if it disappears as available on DW's account after I use it on mine.

I loaded it on my two additional card holders on both my accounts like I always have. I don’t plan on redeeming them until closer to the expiration of the offer since my next unpaid cruise isn’t until 10/2020. I’ve done this several times and there’s nothing different this time. I think the poster just got bad information.

Just an FYI.  There are actually 2 separate offers available if you are lucky and have multiple Amex cards.

One is $100 off of a $500 booking and the other is Get 10,000 Amex points for a $500+ booking.  They are independent and you can qualify for both if you use more than one card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I loaded it on my two additional card holders on both my accounts like I always have. I don’t plan on redeeming them until closer to the expiration of the offer since my next unpaid cruise isn’t until 10/2020. I’ve done this several times and there’s nothing different this time. I think the poster just got bad information.

It seems to vary by account.  I can load the offer on my blue card, but not on my wife's Hilton/American Express card.  It gives an error message saying we've already taken advantage of the offer.

Garnett

I was able to load on my SkyMiles card this morning and take advantage of this offer. I just had to add the offer to my card. I have done this many times in the past and it has always worked on new and existing reservations. I have to find my wife's card and use that next to get the offer. Especially if it's a different account # like her's, nothing should prevent her from getting the offer too if available with her card. 

I'm just a little sad the AARP cards are not available right now. May have to check out that All-State program.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

It was an additional offer from Amex.  I rolled my eyes when I first saw it, but added it to my card just in case.  All those small amounts add up.  Since 11/29/15, I have received $1,475 from those offers, which is $40 more than the cruise I booked today on the Mardi Gras.

Edited to add:  It takes even less than $10 to get me to book another cruise 😄

I started adding every AMEX offer that pops up, had a couple surprise me that I forgot about! 🙂