Cagney's Lobster upcharge to the dining package is back?

fstuff1

14 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

yeah i know.

im just commenting on he $16 charge for 3 pieces of bacon hat you can get the same thing for free by doubling up the breakfast bacon at breakfast on every bite

I think it's the same pork belly as before, they just changed the name. I guess "thick cut bacon" is more appealing goatee, tattoo and camo pattern crocs crowd. 

6 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I think it's the same pork belly as before, they just changed the name. I guess "thick cut bacon" is more appealing goatee, tattoo and camo pattern crocs crowd. 

no, i've had it back in sept at cagneys.

it's just 3 strips of thick bacon.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced at $16.

i would very much like the pork belly back!

Edited by fstuff1

now the question is:

does the upcharges pertain to the free meal at cagney's for being Platinum?

can anyone comment who had eaten at cagney's using their Platinum dinner certificate since this new nickel and dime menu came out a couple of weeks ago?

Edited by fstuff1

9 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Whatever they call it, they can keep it !!  Had it on my last cruise...worst thing ever...totally undercooked and greasy. 

A few months ago the surcharge for 3 shrimp was $4.  Then it disappeared.  Now its back for $5.  Charging $5 for a basic appetizer makes me wonder about the low quality of all other ingredients and appetizers.  NCL also got rid of the shrimp on the Haven's lunch menu.  Now its only offered at dinner.  Shrimp in the supermarket is not that expensive so what gives?

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Shrimp in the supermarket is not that expensive so what gives?

like everything else in the supermarket..the raising food prices. I've been going to the same supermarket for about 5 years now and its very annoying when i see my favorite food items prices go up every 6 to 12 months or so.

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Market pricing, seasonally adjusted, for your convenience of course (@dexddd 's favorite tagline these days) in "recognition" of one's NCL brand loyalty.   The size of the serving itself, and side(s) would - surely - be adjusted ... I think.  

Will be doing Cagney next month, memo to self to "document" this ... graphically.  With 2020 almost around the corner, won't surprise me one tiny bit that the values will be reflected & recalibrated again in response to free style dining's popularity, or not.  

Personally, unless its live lobster freshly prepared (nor, frozen jumbo prawn or tiger shrimp cocktail) ... won't bother us.  Surcharge for crab cake ... annoyed but not a deal breaker.  

Uh oh, have I made it that obvious?  Well maybe, but the only thing I can think of that has been for our convenience, of course is the free Asian restaurant.

And yes, what is premium shrimp cocktail, does it have parsley sprinkles? 

Not seeing premium shrimp cocktail unless the reference was to the tiger prawns.

Edited by dexddd

3 hours ago, Niffernay said:

My husband may fight you on this 🤣  He will be so excited if this is true.

No need.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches too.  But its not proper in a steakhouse.  Hot dogs are good too but I don't want one as an appetizer in Cagneys either.  If you want hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches, go to the buffet or the Local.  I think Cagneys is a nice upscale steakhouse.  I think some quality appetizers are missed IMHO.

Just now, david_sobe said:

No need.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches too.  But its not proper in a steakhouse.  Hot dogs are good too but I don't want one as an appetizer in Cagneys either.  If you want hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches, go to the buffet or the Local.  I think Cagneys is a nice upscale steakhouse.  I think some quality appetizers are missed IMHO.

Someone posted a photo of the soup. The "sandwich" is actually cut into little squares like croutons in the soup. They said it was very good. It isn't the typical elementary school lunch!

6 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Someone posted a photo of the soup. The "sandwich" is actually cut into little squares like croutons in the soup. They said it was very good. It isn't the typical elementary school lunch!

I am sure its very good.  That was not my point.  American cheese and white bread are very inexpensive.  Many freaked out when Cagneys removed other sides and added mac and cheese.  That is not a very common side or appetizer in upscale steak houses. THAT is my point.  As I mentioned, hot dogs are good too but not something I want at a steakhouse.  Pizza is good too. 

Sailing on the Getaway in January. Not impressed with the latest and not so greatest info for Cagney's and Ocean Blue menus new pricing upcharge for apps and lobster, and not a lot of difference between the two menus. Have the 3 ni SDP that was a Free at Sea promo, already have Cagney's reserved for one night and Ocean Blue for two nights. Probably going to rethink, redo how my reservations look. Unless NCL rethinks how they have these menus structured. Wow.  Does anyone on this thread have pics of the current menus for La Cacina or Le Bistro? I will be posting this same question to the other thread that is about this same topic.  Have a great day everyone. 

3 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I tried it. It's the same cheese you can get in the buffet, on the same bread you can get in the buffet, with the same tomato soup you can get in the buffet or the MDR during lunch. 

They did trim the crusts for my convenience. 

16 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

now the question is:

does the upcharges pertain to the free meal at cagney's for being Platinum?

can anyone comment who had eaten at cagney's using their Platinum dinner certificate since this new nickel and dime menu came out a couple of weeks ago?

Yes the upcharges apply to Platinum diners. 

They shouldn't. It's tacky, cheap and gross. But they do. 

On 11/19/2019 at 4:01 PM, PortFees45 said:

Yes the upcharges apply to Platinum diners. 

They shouldn't. It's tacky, cheap and gross. But they do. 

Just fight it like I did. I looked the waiter in the eye and said I am not paying a surcharge plus a 20% gratuity for a crab cake. You can get your boss, you can get the hotel director, you can get the captain, but I assure you one way or the other my onboard bill at the end of the cruise will not include this charge. I was not charged.

Some thing are a matter of principle to me. And two can play at this silly game....if you nickel and dime me long enough, I might just nickel and dime you back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Some thing are a matter of principle to me. And two can play at this silly game....if you nickel and dime me long enough, I might just nickel and dime you back. 

The up-charges are getting a bit much. I got the Premium Beverage Plus Upgrade.Which includes select BOTTLES of wine at lunch and dinner in the MDR. According to folks on these boards you can share with other people at your table. I will make sure that my table will have plenty of wine for the 7 days I'm on the Escape. A bottle of Veuve Clicquot “Yellow Label” Champagne will be had at each meal (more if allowed).  Been sailing on NCL since the 80's (SS Norway 13 times) and this company better check their 6 because other lines are taking notice and stepping up. MSC Yacht Club is looking pretty good right now. IMHO.

We just returned from a Jade sailing.  Our menus did not have the up charges so got lucky there. We had the fas sdp and the plat vouchers but purchased additional pkg oop.  It was a longer sailing and I wasn’t willing to risk potentially bad buffet and mdr food. With the specialty a la carte price increases the additional pkg supplements oop were a big money savings over a la carte.  With 24 total meals served from specialty venues, only one of the meals was not up to par.  Imo ncl really upped their game and food/food service was fantastic. My kids college dorm food was far superior to the mdr and buffet food on the Bliss Alaska last year. While I never ate in the buffet on the Jade this year the few times I walked through, the items looked much better prepared.  We did eat mdr on the Jade once and it was good/service was excellent.  

The server telling  us about the  up charges...Practically before saying hello ... can really put a damper on the dining experience .  I didn’t notice that behavior on our recent Jade sailing.  Our servers were very professional, well versed, and the dining experience mirrored that of great land based venues.  

The surf and turf was fantastic.  The 8oz filet is too big a serving even for sharing imo.  There was other notable and appreciated improvements.  Larger shrimp in the shrimp cocktail.  Even nice big shrimp for cagneys suite lunch along with Arugula salad that was fresh.  I for one am happy to pay a little extra for good to excellent food and service so no complaints here!

20 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

The up-charges are getting a bit much. I got the Premium Beverage Plus Upgrade.Which includes select BOTTLES of wine at lunch and dinner in the MDR. According to folks on these boards you can share with other people at your table. I will make sure that my table will have plenty of wine for the 7 days I'm on the Escape. A bottle of Veuve Clicquot “Yellow Label” Champagne will be had at each meal (more if allowed).  Been sailing on NCL since the 80's (SS Norway 13 times) and this company better check their 6 because other lines are taking notice and stepping up. MSC Yacht Club is looking pretty good right now. IMHO.

Yes, we usually do the long haul 14 day cruises out of NYC in January. MSC Meraviglia might be worth a shot out of MIA as a B2B. I've heard good and bad so it would be nice to find out first hand. Might actually find a new favorite cruiseline. Pricing is attractive.