Alexa in cabin

Mslmesq

22 hours ago, HoneyBubba said:

You could just stream from your device (phone) to a bluetooth speaker rather than some complicated setup.

Your phone can do most of what Alexa does esp with the Alexa app.

We just stream from our phone to the TV via Bluetooth.

My Echo Dot stays at home. It turns various lights on and off for me so my house doesn't appear quite so vacant when I'm gone for a month. I kind of find it amusing that it will still "remind me" to take out the trash on Wednesdays and to take my evening pills every night at 8 PM. I'm not there to hear the reminder but it still "reminds" me anyway. (I do get the reminders on my phone but they come at the proper time "at home" rather than the time where I am on a cruise.)

• Like 1

• Thrak
  • September 15, 2012
  •  
  • 14,646 posts
  • Butte County, California

" My Echo Dot stays at home. It turns various lights on and off for me so my house doesn't appear quite so vacant when I'm gone for a month. ".....

Thrak you don't need Echo for that, PG&E provides that service.   😄

From a tech perspective, your problem is that ship wi-fi is what's known as a "captive portal" - IE you need to do something more than just connect to the WiFi for the data to flow to the device. So you'd want to google "Using Echo with a captive portal" or similar, to understand how this would be done. If it can be done, then you can use ship's wi-fi.

We took ours last summer to use as a Bluetooth speaker which worked just fine. We didn’t want to use it with the internet (and didn’t pay for internet on our cruise) so we didn’t use it for any additional Alexa features. It meant we could play our music (quietly) when we wanted! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MGillie said:

We took ours last summer to use as a Bluetooth speaker which worked just fine. We didn’t want to use it with the internet (and didn’t pay for internet on our cruise) so we didn’t use it for any additional Alexa features. It meant we could play our music (quietly) when we wanted! 

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, itf said:

From a tech perspective, your problem is that ship wi-fi is what's known as a "captive portal" - IE you need to do something more than just connect to the WiFi for the data to flow to the device. So you'd want to google "Using Echo with a captive portal" or similar, to understand how this would be done. If it can be done, then you can use ship's wi-fi.

That's why one would use a Travel Router as noted in posts #4 and #14 in this thread. 

I'd seriously doubt that Alexa is a blocked site as well since Siri works and it's actually not easy to "block" AWS.  Not having an Alexa I can't confirm that I've done it, I've used the router for streaming TV (on MedalionNet Unlimited) and talking to Siri.  Plus PCL advertises MedallionNet use for streaming.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, joe0928 said:

Hmmm.. I would be interested in knowing how you do that.

Just connect your phone to the TV's HDMI input & follow the onscreen instructions. I couldn't stream video from the phone but it worked fine for music. 

For the video I used my WD-TV unit I bought years ago & it's worked on all the ships so far. Of course you have to change the TV's signal input first.

I suppose a Roku unit would also work but I haven't tried it yet. 

Oh- I don't stream content but use a thumb drive for my mp4 files. 

My trick is to use my Amazon Fire Tablet with Alexa.  I have a case that will set up like an Alarm clock and set it in display mode.  Since it is a tablet it works without needing a separate router.  Granted this was on the Regal with medallion net. 

24 minutes ago, willyt25 said:

My trick is to use my Amazon Fire Tablet with Alexa.  I have a case that will set up like an Alarm clock and set it in display mode.  Since it is a tablet it works without needing a separate router.  Granted this was on the Regal with medallion net. 

You probably also purchase unlimited internet.

We don't and use the minute plan. 

On 11/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, c-boy said:

wonderful, I can drown out my neighbors whinning about the food, no straws, no bar soap, no barrel chair. Alexa play smooth jazz 

Don't forget the cheating at trivia and how the dinner was ruined because somebody wore jeans on the optional formal night.

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just connect your phone to the TV's HDMI input & follow the onscreen instructions. I couldn't stream video from the phone but it worked fine for music. 

For the video I used my WD-TV unit I bought years ago & it's worked on all the ships so far. Of course you have to change the TV's signal input first.

I suppose a Roku unit would also work but I haven't tried it yet. 

Oh- I don't stream content but use a thumb drive for my mp4 files. 

Thanks...

I can confirm that Alexa does work as expected using an unlimited MedalionNet (with a travel router). I was even able to make phone calls with her (Alexa call home). I did the with both a FireStick and the Alexa App on my phone.

I'm positive that an Echo Dot, Echo Spot, or Echo show would work just as well.

I needed the travel router to connect the FireStick.

This was on the Coral Princess from San Fran to Port Everglades through the Panama canal.

If one just wants to stream media you can use the new TVs as bluetooth speakers from your phone.