Weird question-electric toothbrushes

I’ll be on a 40 day cruise on the Navigator and want to bring my electric toothbrush. From past cruises on other lines, the only outlet in bathroom is only for shavers. Can toothbrushes be plugged into that outlet or is there another one in the bathroom, and is it 110 or 220. Thanks. 

The "shaver" designation is to indicate that it is a low wattage circuit, and only low-draw items should be plugged in.

Checking an electric toothbrush here at home, I see that it is listed at 0.9 watts (900 milliwatts).  That's even less than what your phone or iPad charger would draw.  On the contrast, hair dryers can draw over 1500 watts in operation.  That's what they want to avoid be plugged into the outlet, as it would blow the circuit in no time.

As a tip, one should always check the electrical specs on devices of any kind.  Know if it is "dual voltage" (can it run on 110 AND 220) or just single.  Know the approximate wattage of the device, so that you aren't overloading a circuit.  Easy to find - it's the small print on your device or power supply.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The "shaver" designation is to indicate that it is a low wattage circuit, and only low-draw items should be plugged in.

Thanks for the explanation.  I thought that was probably why they said "shavers only", but nice to have it confirmed.  I plan to plug my toothbrush charger in there when necessary as it will be more convenient.  I suspect the other outlets will be reserved for our other devices!

Edited by baz48
move reply from quote section

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not sure why it matters, since most such toothbrushes aren't plugged in when you're using them.  At least mine's not.  So I can charge it anywhere.

What matters is the electrical rating of the charger.

One thing to be sure to check is the voltage rating.  Plugging a 110v device into a 220 outlet isn't the best way to start your day.

For example, a Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush charger is a 110v ONLY device.  So you don't want to plug it in "anywhere", even with a plug adapter (which does NOT convert voltage).

• Like 1

Your toothbrush charger will work in the "Shaver" plug in the ceiling of the NAV bathrooms. Been doing this for at least 10 years with out any issue. HOWEVER, this "shaver" plug is connected to the light switch, and the toothbrush will not charge with the bathroom lights off. Usually not an issue unless, like me, you have been on the road for several days before getting on the ship and  the toothbrush is dead and needs 12-15 hours to charge.

J

We use ours in the shaver outlet. It works as I do not want to see this item out of the bathroom. 60 days and we are off to join Mariner the WC in San Francisco.  So excited. I have a new packing strategy. To pack in 3 small see through bags 10 underwears, 10 day and night tops and 10 pants, including shorts, capris and evening Sparkles.  3 sandals 2 walking shoes and 1 beach. 3 pashmina.  2 bathsuits 2 swim coverups.  2 sunhats. Buying all drug store stuff in San Fran. Anything else?

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

a Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush charger is a 110v ONLY device

As with most electrical appliances, it depends where purchased.

Our Braun Oral-B toothbrush charger is 220-240v, which we charge from the 240v side of the twin outlet, two-pin shaver socket in our bathroom.

Edited by flossie009

On 11/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, JMARINER said:

HOWEVER, this "shaver" plug is connected to the light switch, and the toothbrush will not charge with the bathroom lights off. 

Thanks for sharing this.  I wouldn't have thought of that so will be sure to check that it still charges with the lights off.

• Like 1

Here in Australia the Braun toothbrush has a moulded mains plug on it so we have no option but to plug it into a gang plug we carry and all our charging (phones, iPad etc) is done on the table in the "lounge" But it does come with a dual voltage charger!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 11:10 PM, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Thanks everyone. I’m going to look into the Quip. 

Oral B makes a terrific battery operated electric toothbrush. Very reasonably priced and works as well as our rechargeable version. Available at most drug stores.