Wine Question?

GranysT

Getting ready for our Friday cruise, and have a couple questions.  I assume you are allowed to take 1 bottle of wine, or champagne per person on board?  Like  Carnival, do you have to take it on the ship in your carry on?  Thanks for any info. 

14 minutes ago, GranysT said:

Getting ready for our Friday cruise, and have a couple questions.  I assume you are allowed to take 1 bottle of wine, or champagne per person on board?  Like  Carnival, do you have to take it on the ship in your carry on?  Thanks for any info. 

Yes, must be in your carry on. 1 per person , 2 per cabin, I think adults only. 

9 hours ago, GranysT said:

not per person/.   the limit is 2 per cabin, regardless of how many  adults are in the cabin.  yes it must be carry on.  

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

And, it is two per cabin regardless of the length of the cruise. So  two bottles to bring a board if you are on a three night cruise but the same amount  if you are on a 7,10,12 etc night cruise. 

Yeah, that's a bummer there.  Puts a thirst pinch on my 19 night TP.  😮😉 

1 minute ago, cruisinfanatic said:

So what happens if you check it instead? Aside from possibly being called to the naughty room, nothing.

Probably nothing.  Maybe they hold it until the end of the cruise.  Maybe they confiscate it.    We've seen all three.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

If you send your wine through checked bags (though against the rules)  your bag could get to the room dripping lovely red wine from the seams.  Those porters are NOT delicate with your luggage. 😮 

AND...…..that wine could have dripped into someone else's luggage.  😡 😡😡

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I thought it was only soda and water that was mandatory to be carried on. While not recommended by most and would most likely involve a trip to the naughty room I thought that you could still put your wine in checked luggage. 

From RC FAQ page:

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine or champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

AND...…..that wine could have dripped into someone else's luggage.  😡 😡😡

Oh yeah...eewww!!  Hope that did not happen to you!  😞 Definitely not smart to put wine through checked bags, for a number of obvious reasons.  😮 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I thought it was only soda and water that was mandatory to be carried on. While not recommended by most and would most likely involve a trip to the naughty room I thought that you could still put your wine in checked luggage. 

I think they changed the wine guideline at the same time they started allowing the 12 containers of non-alcoholic beverages.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, cruisinfanatic said:

Don't go through security together. More than likely you'll get a bottle through with no problem.

If you figure out a way to skirt the system, it would be best not to put it on a public message board. I would hate if the opportunity to bring two bottles of wine was taken away because folks posted a way to bring more. There are countless ways to bring wine and liquor onto a cruise ship, (Or any place for that matter)  but it seems best not to advertise it on a public message board. 
Thx. 

m

On 11/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

If you figure out a way to skirt the system, it would be best not to put it on a public message board. I would hate if the opportunity to bring two bottles of wine was taken away

I found out (the hard way) that security knows...  We just took the Empress last week and having 3 adults in two cabins we brought three bags with 2 bottles each.   The Empress is a small ship and security was remarkably fast, just two lines, almost no wait.   We took two bags through one line and I stood in the second line.  The couple in front of me seemed to have never been through a security line before and was having trouble with the idea of putting all their stuff on the conveyor...   A security screener kindly told me to use the other line and not thinking.... I did.   The  x-ray screener pulled my bag and called her supervisor.  I heard her tell him that she just saw  6 bottles and what to do?   Initially he told her that 2 bottles per bag was fine, but then she pressed on how 4 people could have 3 cabins and the supervisor reluctantly asked us to all come over with our bags...   He was really nice about it and even let me pick which bottles to keep and which two he needed to take.  I asked him... so if I'd just gone through the other line, then what?   His answer was, so next time you will know...  🙂

It ended well though - they take the bottles, give you a receipt, but them on board... and then deliver them to your room around 5:30 the last night - just in time for dinner!

On 11/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

If you figure out a way to skirt the system, it would be best not to put it on a public message board. I would hate if the opportunity to bring two bottles of wine was taken away because folks posted a way to bring more. There are countless ways to bring wine and liquor onto a cruise ship, (Or any place for that matter)  but it seems best not to advertise it on a public message board. 
Thx. 

m

I agree completely.  We love the opportunity to bring our favorite wine onboard to enjoy.  I would hate for the privilege to be taken away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davelinde said:

I found out (the hard way) that security knows...  We just took the Empress last week and having 3 adults in two cabins we brought three bags with 2 bottles each.   The Empress is a small ship and security was remarkably fast, just two lines, almost no wait.   We took two bags through one line and I stood in the second line.  The couple in front of me seemed to have never been through a security line before and was having trouble with the idea of putting all their stuff on the conveyor...   A security screener kindly told me to use the other line and not thinking.... I did.   The  x-ray screener pulled my bag and called her supervisor.  I heard her tell him that she just saw  6 bottles and what to do?   Initially he told her that 2 bottles per bag was fine, but then she pressed on how 4 people could have 3 cabins and the supervisor reluctantly asked us to all come over with our bags...   He was really nice about it and even let me pick which bottles to keep and which two he needed to take.  I asked him... so if I'd just gone through the other line, then what?   His answer was, so next time you will know...  🙂

It ended well though - they take the bottles, give you a receipt, but them on board... and then deliver them to your room around 5:30 the last night - just in time for dinner!

You probably would have been fine if you just spaced it out more

7 hours ago, davelinde said:

I would say 4 people could have three cabins in likely the same way 3 could have 2.   There could be 2 in one cabin and singles in the other two cabins.   Just like I would imagine there would be 2 in one cabin and a single in the other (so that' s definitely 4 bottles you should have definitely been able to keep).   Heck for that matter, 3 people could have three cabins- with each person able to bring aboard 2 bottles each for a total of 6 bottles.  
Sounds like the supervisor was willing to let it slide initially but the screener who was following the rules pressed the issue and forced him to enforce the rule.  
I mean, it is the rule and I get why the end result was what it was, but it sounds to me like he understood mathematically how it was possible and plausible how 4 people could have three cabins, or even how 3 people could have three cabins.  

2 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I agree completely.  We love the opportunity to bring our favorite wine onboard to enjoy.  I would hate for the privilege to be taken away.

Yes. Don't flaunt it so publicly.  I think most people know it is "possible" to do this, but most folks don't make a public announcement about it.  I would hate for the cruise line to take away even the possibility of the currently allowed bottles of wine.