Do we need to change for Afternoon Tea or dance lessons?

lissie

We cruising on the Queen Elizabeth - out of Sydney to PNG next February.  I'm in the process of making flight bookings - the  amount of luggage we take makes a difference to the airline  and fare type we choose. 

Given the time of year the temperatures will be 30 plus with a chance of humidity and rain for this trip.  I'd expect  for both of our  day attire will consist of shorts - short sleeved shirts or tshirts for him and sleeveless tops for me. 

I know we have to change after 6pm - that's fine. But during the day for Afternoon Tea and for dance lessons - is there any additional requirements?  From what I've seen on youtube the Afternoon Tea doesn't involve dancing correct? So we'll just be sitting an eating?  Also how wide is the ban on denim during the day? I have black (not blue) denim jacket which goes with everything - would that be acceptable during the day? Its not faded - looks new. 

Also for Smart Attire nights - I"m still struggling with this. I keep on reading black trousers for ladies and a sparkly top. I only own winter weight black trousers - and I hate dancing in trousers. I do have lots of long (mid-calf) black dance skirts - which are pretty and I'd wear to a formal business event would that be OK? 

Also given that men have to keep their jackets on - I assume he can wear short sleeved shirts - because no one would know?  Also for evening wear - I'm thinking of  just bringing 3 or 4 outfits and rotating them - is that acceptable. Normally  I wear clothes multiple times when travelling - knowing that the only person who will see me wearing the same thing every day is my partner - and he doesn't care. But on a cruise - particularly with fixed seating - is it a no no to rotate the same 3 or 4 outfits? Don't tell me I can mix it up with jewelry  and accessories - I don't really do either - and if we are dancing every night (I hope!) - then I don't want to be dragging around shawls and bags etc just to lose them LOL. 

I really want to keep  our luggage to one checked bag between us - I'm pretty sure my partner can get away with a tux and a pair of chinos with a sports jacket and 3 -4 shirts for the other evenings. I'm trying to work out how little I can get away with, but still go to the "formal" parts of the ship. 

You don't need to dress for afternoon tea, but I would avoid shorts.  There may be a tea dance which will be advertised in the daily programme.  On a normal day, it is a case of sitting down and being offered as much tea as you can drink and as much food as you can eat. 

As for dance classes, there is no dress code, but you are advised to wear appropriate shoes. 

39 minutes ago, lissie said:

We cruising on the Queen Elizabeth - out of Sydney to PNG next February.  I'm in the process of making flight bookings - the  amount of luggage we take makes a difference to the airline  and fare type we choose. 

Given the time of year the temperatures will be 30 plus with a chance of humidity and rain for this trip.  I'd expect  for both of our  day attire will consist of shorts - short sleeved shirts or tshirts for him and sleeveless tops for me. 

I know we have to change after 6pm - that's fine. But during the day for Afternoon Tea and for dance lessons - is there any additional requirements?  From what I've seen on youtube the Afternoon Tea doesn't involve dancing correct? So we'll just be sitting an eating?  Also how wide is the ban on denim during the day? I have black (not blue) denim jacket which goes with everything - would that be acceptable during the day? Its not faded - looks new. 

Also for Smart Attire nights - I"m still struggling with this. I keep on reading black trousers for ladies and a sparkly top. I only own winter weight black trousers - and I hate dancing in trousers. I do have lots of long (mid-calf) black dance skirts - which are pretty and I'd wear to a formal business event would that be OK? 

Also given that men have to keep their jackets on - I assume he can wear short sleeved shirts - because no one would know?  Also for evening wear - I'm thinking of  just bringing 3 or 4 outfits and rotating them - is that acceptable. Normally  I wear clothes multiple times when travelling - knowing that the only person who will see me wearing the same thing every day is my partner - and he doesn't care. But on a cruise - particularly with fixed seating - is it a no no to rotate the same 3 or 4 outfits? Don't tell me I can mix it up with jewelry  and accessories - I don't really do either - and if we are dancing every night (I hope!) - then I don't want to be dragging around shawls and bags etc just to lose them LOL. 

I really want to keep  our luggage to one checked bag between us - I'm pretty sure my partner can get away with a tux and a pair of chinos with a sports jacket and 3 -4 shirts for the other evenings. I'm trying to work out how little I can get away with, but still go to the "formal" parts of the ship. 

Never known or encountered a ban on denims during the day many wear denim jeans whatever the colour. If you want to wear a jacket during the day a black denim jacket would be perfectly acceptable.

Edited by majortom10

57 minutes ago, lissie said:

You're overthinking this. Some passengers treat a cruise as a fashion parade and that's fine but the majority dress well and to their baggage allowance and if that mens  rotating three or four outfits, that's fine. If you take a couple of dancing skirts to change into,  can find a pair of lightweight evening trousers with a selection of different lovely silky  tops to go with them, you'd ring the changes,  save on baggage weight  yet go dancing. Just a thought.

No one will judge you on your clothes and if you feel good, then that's all that matters.  If we take afternoon tea, I make sure I'm showered and dressed respectably , which in a hot climate is a lovely floaty top and cut off denims, usually white.

• Like 1

When there is a Tea Dance, you will probably find the clothes worn  are ramped up a little for afternoon tea. Some ladies enjoy wearing dresses for the occasion and partners suitably attired. This is not something to worry about if you are just taking refreshments. 

Have you considered sending a large bag via Luggage Forward, Cunard's recommended luggage forwarding service? You can pack up to 50 lbs in a suitcase and have it sent to and from the ship for a modest charge. That will eliminate the need to carry a large suitcase on the air flight, and will give you more choices in your clothing. The laundry and dry cleaning services on board are excellent as well so you can always be neat and clean. I live in S.E. Texas where the summer temperatures are usually in the 90degrees f day and night and the dew point is in the high 60's so I understand heat and dampness, but I have no problem wearing long sleeve shirts in the properly air conditioned in doors as you will find Cunard's ships to be as well. 

• Like 1

I don't know whether this happens to other people, but,  when holding a cup and saucer, I occasionally manage to spill a drop or two into the saucer, and thence, unhappily, onto my legs. When this occurs, I should prefer the hot tea drips to land on my clothing rather than bare legs. For this reason, I would avoid wearing shorts for tea.😀

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

There is usually one Tea Dance in the Queens Room  per week, as a dancer your self I presume you occasionally attend a local Tea/informal dance afternoon  . Smart casual attire would be considered appropriate . 

Its rare in NZ - but I would wear a cotton summer skirt and  top.   I think its the term - smart casual  doesn't exist here - we have business casual and we have casual which doesn't really involve shoes or tops (for men) LOL 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Have you considered sending a large bag via Luggage Forward, Cunard's recommended luggage forwarding service? You can pack up to 50 lbs in a suitcase and have it sent to and from the ship for a modest charge. That will eliminate the need to carry a large suitcase on the air flight, and will give you more choices in your clothing. The laundry and dry cleaning services on board are excellent as well so you can always be neat and clean. I live in S.E. Texas where the summer temperatures are usually in the 90degrees f day and night and the dew point is in the high 60's so I understand heat and dampness, but I have no problem wearing long sleeve shirts in the properly air conditioned in doors as you will find Cunard's ships to be as well. 

I don't think Luggage Forward extends to NZ - and "reasonable" NEVER applies to courier companies around here LOL.  We  normally travel carry on only (7kg each) - but that won't work for this - so one airline allows 23kg one bag each - another has a max of 30kg each - unlimited bags. I just can't even imagine lugging that amount of stuff from airport to hotel (we're be in Sydney for a few nights before cruising) and then walking them to the cruise terminal (hotel is close and traffic makes taxis impractical ) 

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I don't know whether this happens to other people, but,  when holding a cup and saucer, I occasionally manage to spill a drop or two into the saucer, and thence, unhappily, onto my legs. When this occurs, I should prefer the hot tea drips to land on my clothing rather than bare legs. For this reason, I would avoid wearing shorts for tea.😀

LOL - that's what the saucer is for - to catch the drips!  I'd rather have shorts on - otherwise I'm going to have spot wash the skirt to get rid of the stain! 

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You're overthinking this. Some passengers treat a cruise as a fashion parade and that's fine but the majority dress well and to their baggage allowance and if that mens  rotating three or four outfits, that's fine. If you take a couple of dancing skirts to change into,  can find a pair of lightweight evening trousers with a selection of different lovely silky  tops to go with them, you'd ring the changes,  save on baggage weight  yet go dancing. Just a thought.

No one will judge you on your clothes and if you feel good, then that's all that matters.  If we take afternoon tea, I make sure I'm showered and dressed respectably , which in a hot climate is a lovely floaty top and cut off denims, usually white.

Yes I am - I've read too much CC I think. Saw one thread where it was seriously suggested that cocktail  dresses were appropriate wear on smart casual nights!  And los of threads  by people complaining about what others wear. I've often overdressed for events on land - because I have some lovely long evening dresses and I like wearing them. Its never bothered me in the least to be over dressed and I've never cared that others wore jeans to the same event. It seems to  me based on CC that people on Cunard do care what others wear! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Yes I am - I've read too much CC I think. Saw one thread where it was seriously suggested that cocktail  dresses were appropriate wear on smart casual nights!  And los of threads  by people complaining about what others wear. I've often overdressed for events on land - because I have some lovely long evening dresses and I like wearing them. Its never bothered me in the least to be over dressed and I've never cared that others wore jeans to the same event. It seems to  me based on CC that people on Cunard do care what others wear! 

They tend to get seriously upset if people attend formal nights in shorts and sweaty Tshirts. Not unreasonably, perhaps.

Don't go crazy--I find a mid calf black (or other neutral color) skirt to be the most important item I pack.  I bring a variety of tops, lightweight jackets, and sparkly (ie, fashion jewels, not the good stuff) jewelry and I am ready for just about anything.  Since I am notorious for spilling a little tea/lunch/etc. right on my chest, I pack tank tops--which I can easily switch out under a jacket or shrug and have a "new" outfit.  I usually buy them in colors or patterns to brighten up a black ensemble.  For my last 14 day cruise, I packed 2 long evening gowns (wore each one twice for formal themed nights), 2 cocktail dresses (wore each one twice for formal nights), mid calf skirt, black silk trousers, and the tops to mix and match.  Wore everything at least twice and had plenty to choose from for each night at dinner.  During the day, my go to are yoga pants and cotton tunic tops....easy to roll up and pack.  Had one medium size suitcase (checked, less than 50 lbs) and a carry on.  Just a tip for evening dresses--lace doesn't wrinkle, so just roll it up and shake it out!!  Have fun.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Saw one thread where it was seriously suggested that cocktail  dresses were appropriate wear on smart casual nights!

Just to clarify, the nights are smart attire not smart casual so cocktail dresses are perfect and appropriate.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

lissie,

Getting back to your original question, regarding the need to change for afternoon tea, the attached picture was taken on a crossing in September of last year. Perhaps this will give you some idea of typical attire.

Jack

IMG_6859.thumb.JPG.878a771186040a4b22eb64f2e799eba0.JPG

Nice picture but has the appearance of a rugby scrum not a fancy afternoon tea as it was supposed to be before the standards were reduced to fill the ships. Afternoon tea was begun by one of the royalty to tide the lady over until dinner which was served at a proper 8 - 9 pm. As it progressed in popularity it retained its royal flavor and up until recently did so on the Queens with ladies to be found in afternoon tea dresses with an occasional hat. Gentlemen to not embarrass their well dressed ladies made the effort to don a blazer over their casual shirts. But never ever shorts for afternoon tea.

However, that is a personal taste and opinion and to date there have been zero reports of any passenger being off loaded at the next port for violating the ambiance of afternoon tea.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

They tend to get seriously upset if people attend formal nights in shorts and sweaty Tshirts. Not unreasonably, perhaps.

Must be a  cultural thing - I live in a culture where for some people who live here  formal dressing involves bare feet a formal skirt-like garment for men. No one would care less. 

52 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

lissie,

Getting back to your original question, regarding the need to change for afternoon tea, the attached picture was taken on a crossing in September of last year. Perhaps this will give you some idea of typical attire.

Jack

IMG_6859.thumb.JPG.878a771186040a4b22eb64f2e799eba0.JPG

Thank you  that is indeed very helpful!  I've struggled to find day time pictures which aren't of empty rooms!  

11 minutes ago, lissie said:

Must be a  cultural thing - I live in a culture where for some people who live here  formal dressing involves bare feet a formal skirt-like garment for men. No one would care less. 

When in Rome ------ as they used to say.

8 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Nice picture but has the appearance of a rugby scrum not a fancy afternoon tea as it was supposed to be before the standards were reduced to fill the ships. Afternoon tea was begun by one of the royalty to tide the lady over until dinner which was served at a proper 8 - 9 pm. As it progressed in popularity it retained its royal flavor and up until recently did so on the Queens with ladies to be found in afternoon tea dresses with an occasional hat. Gentlemen to not embarrass their well dressed ladies made the effort to don a blazer over their casual shirts. But never ever shorts for afternoon tea.

However, that is a personal taste and opinion and to date there have been zero reports of any passenger being off loaded at the next port for violating the ambiance of afternoon tea.

In what possible way is this like a rugby scrum? 

There is no grass.

There is no mud. 

Almost everyone is sitting calmly at a table.

No-one has their arms locked round each other's shoulders.

Only one person appears to be wearing a striped shirt.

Nobody looks sweaty. 

The most energetic activity appears to be conversation.

Persons are of varied sexes.

And, on the whole, people look rather too old for rugby.

I have rarely seen anything less like a rugby scrum, though I don't know the game very well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lissie said:

... Saw one thread where it was seriously suggested that cocktail  dresses were appropriate wear on smart casual nights!  A... It seems to  me based on CC that people on Cunard do care what others wear! 

Well, yes, cocktail dress are indeed appropriate wear on smart casual nights. Of course. (Even though a number of people are constantly working on dumping the standards as low as possible there are others, too.)

And yes, many people do care what others wear. They do so for many reasons, one of these: The whole atmosphere and ambiance changes. A room with people dressed in suits and nice dresses does have a different atmosphere than the same room with people in rugby shirts and jeans.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

Cunard do give quite a lot of guidance as to what they mean for the dress codes in the evenings, with helpful pictures.

Bare feet? In restaurants, even? Apart from anything else, aren't they worried about what they might step on/in?

• Like 1