Hotel in Covent Garden or Westminster

Will be staying in London after a cruise in July.   

Looking for a hotel room that costs around 150 pounds per night which will be in the range of $250-300 Canadian.

Several years ago we stayed in Westminster in what is now a double tree hotel near the Lambeth bridge. It was an excellent location as good bus service and pilmico station was a 5 minute walk. The ho ho bus had a stop on the other side of  Lambeth bridge.  I would consider going back there but the hotel changed from a businees hotel to be more of a tourist hotel  and the prices are will into the $500 range.  

I have started to look and maybe have found one or 2 possibilities but wondering what hotels people could recommend based on my criteria. 

If its not in Convent Garden or Westminster that is fine, I would still be interested in what you would recommend. 

Cheers!

We stayed at the Strand Palace this past September for two nights before our cruise. It was a great location--easy walking distance to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, etc. The two shows we saw were in nearby theaters. I'd love to stay there again if we have another short stay. It may cost a bit more in July than we paid in September. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

We stayed at the Strand Palace this past September for two nights before our cruise. It was a great location--easy walking distance to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, etc. The two shows we saw were in nearby theaters. I'd love to stay there again if we have another short stay. It may cost a bit more in July than we paid in September. 

Thanks GeoHerb, I will check it out. 

That’s not much of a budget for the heart of London in summer. I’d be surprised if you can get something like the Strand Palace for £150. You are really at the small, budget hotel end of the market, and their quality can be a bit of a lottery. 

The Luna and Simone Hotel near Victoria gets well reviewed and has been previously recommended on this board. 

Premier Inns are the usual ‘go to’ at this sort of price point and the ones in the cluster of hotels just over Westminster Bridge at County Hall feature here from time to time. The hard product is pretty consistent across the chain (unless aircon is important to you, in which case check each hotel), but you are not going to get much space, anywhere to sit and relax in the room, or indeed a proper wardrobe. But as a base for a couple of days, many find them perfectly adequate. 

I presume you are referring to the Doubletree in John Islip Street, which as the City Inn and then the Mint Hotel used to be an undiscovered gem. It appears to have been well and truly discovered, and priced accordingly! 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I have 4x at Premier Inn Westminster.  It’s has a/c, bar, restaurant, close to Big Ben .Westminster Abbey, Parliament, London Eye, Thamas river,  tube, regular bus, HOHO, restaurants/pubs, Waterloo train station.

Premier Inn County Hall, is a block away from Premier Inn Westminster, with no a/c and a few steps up to the front door.

Park Plaza Westminster and Park Plaza County Hall are in the same area.

Edited by phabric

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

But unlikely to match the OP’s price criteria, I would think? 

Just giving more hotels in the area.

I have stayed at Premier Inn Westminster (4x) and Park Plaza Westminster (1x) and prefer Premier Inn Westminster as I just use the hotel to sleep.  The hotels are a short block apart.

Edited by phabric

A few minutes search on the Premier Inn website shows that the following PI hotels should be within the OP's budget for a July stay:

---  Farringdon (Smithfield).  I spent a few nights here this past April, paying less than £100 p.n. My room seemed slightly smaller than those in other PI's in which I've stayed, but was more than adequate for my needs. I love the location -- a bit off the usual tourist track but within easy walking distance of the kinds of places I love to explore when I'm in London: St Bartholomew the Great, Smithfield Market, Charterhouse Square, the Barbican, Christchurch Greyfriars Church Garden, Postman's Park, the Old Bailey (from the outside), the Viaduct Tavern (from the inside!).  And ten minutes' walk from St Paul's Cathedral.

I haven't stayed at any of the following PI's, but I would not hesitate to choose any of them based on location, ease of travel/access, and on reviews in general:  Blackfriars (Fleet Street)Holborn; St Pancras; Euston.

(Note:  Premier Inn uses the sort of dynamic pricing model practiced by the airlines, so the further in advance you can book, the less you will pay. The chain offers both "non-flex" and "flex" prices, explained on the website.)

If you prefer "quaint" independent places to modern chain hotels, there are several concentrations of small B&B-style hotels in Bloomsbury and the Kings Cross/St Pancras.  (There are quite a few along Gower Street, in Cartwright Gardens, and in the Argyle Square area.)  It's been some years since I last stayed in any of these, but I do like the Bloomsbury area very much.  Some of these establishments (many of which are in Georgian townhouses) are very well-regarded, while others (according to reviews) are reputed to be dumps, so due diligence is required when choosing!

I find TripAdvisor a useful website in compiling lists of possible places to stay and in narrowing those down to a manageable shortlist, but I always book directly via the hotel's own website rather than through a third-party website.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot that our room at the Strand Palace did not have air conditioning. I booked the room through Hotwire. The clerk at reception offered to upgrade us for an additional 30 pounds to an air conditioned room. We did not need it in September.  The high on our full day was 74 degrees F.

On 7 December 2019 at 7:02 PM, Post Captain said:

A few minutes search on the Premier Inn website shows that the following PI hotels should be within the OP's budget for a July stay:

---  Farringdon (Smithfield).  I spent a few nights here this past April, paying less than £100 p.n. My room seemed slightly smaller than those in other PI's in which I've stayed, but was more than adequate for my needs. I love bthe location -- a bit off the usual tourist track but within easy walking distance of the kinds of places I love to explore when I'm in London: St Bartholomew the Great, Smithfield Market, Charterhouse Square, the Barbican, Christchurch Greyfriars Church Garden, Postman's Park, the Old Bailey (from the outside), the Viaduct Tavern (from the inside!).  And ten minutes' walk from St Paul's Cathedral.

On 7 December 2019 at 7:02 PM, Post Captain said:

(Note:  Premier Inn uses the sort of dynamic pricing model practiced by the airlines, so the further in advance you can book, the less you will pay. The chain offers both "non-flex" and "flex" prices, explained on the website.)

The Premier Inn in Smithfield (Farringdon is a great location and I echo all that Post Captain has said. So great to see the Postman's Park mentioned too - it really is a hidden gem that few people know about ......would also recommend a visit to the church of St Sepulchre Without which is opposite the Viaduct Tavern, also known as the Musicians Church (my daughter was married there) and it is the resting place of John Smith of Pocahontas fame.  This area of London is a must for history buffs : there is so much to see as Post Captain has pointed out.

Edited by Morgans

@Morgans It would be helpful in future if you put your comments outside of the quote box (the area with the line to the left of it) so that it is clear what part is the quote and what part is your response. Alternatively, change the colour of the font for your response, so it can be differentiated. It isn't obvious when quickly looking at the previous post what parts were contributed by Post Captain and what parts were yours (although in this case you left enough blank lines that it was possible to figure it out). Your post is more likely to be read if you make it easier for all of us.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

@Morgans It would be helpful in future if you put your comments outside of the quote box (the area with the line to the left of it) so that it is clear what part is the quote and what part is your response. Alternatively, change the colour of the font for your response, so it can be differentiated. It isn't obvious when quickly looking at the previous post what parts were contributed by Post Captain and what parts were yours (although in this case you left enough blank lines that it was possible to figure it out). Your post is more likely to be read if you make it easier for all of us.

Thanks.

I tried to do what you have suggested but for some reason it would not work. It has however this time....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I indicated that i would report back on where we chose to stay. We have not chosen just yet but have come to realize that we will need to spend more to get what we want.  I did find a few places that for around our $300 price in the locations we were looking at.  A place like the Premier inn would typically be ok if we were spending 1 or 2 nights but were looking to spend 5-6 nights and would like something more. Found places with cute names like shoebox and snug in their description of their room. If we were in our twenty's and thirty's, that would be fine as well  but were in our late fifties and want space.  Some other things we want are air conditioning, at least a queen size bed  and a room safe. Also want to book a refundable room and have found that some places don't offer that.  A place like The Strand Palace is now a strong option for sure.  

In my searching, I have been looking further west of Westminster and Covent Garden. I found a couple of places very near the Earls Court tube stop that would serve our need. The tube stop serves the Piccadilly and District lines so they would travel to the bulk of the places we want to see in London. I wanted to ask your opinions about the Earls Court area if you have stayed there? 

Earl's Court has long had a reputation as Budget Hotel Central, and for that reason is popular with lots of tourists.

It's been some years since I've stayed there, but that's more because I prefer particular other neighborhoods (e.g., Bloomsbury; Holborn; Farringdon; etc), not because there's anything "wrong" with EC.  It's a primarily residential area, with lots of local shops, restaurants, pubs on the main streets, but not "picturesque," and less intrinsically interesting than Westminster, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury, the South Bank, the City, etc etc.  It used to be (I'm talking about 30-40 years ago!) considered a bit down-market/ shabby-genteel (in the nicest possible way, of course), but nowadays its perfectly suitable as a place to lay your head, and if I weren't as wedded to my current favorite parts of London as I am, I would be happy to stay there.  I would certainly recommend it in preference to Paddington.  The access to the Tube at Earl's Court Station means you can get to Covent Garden, for example, in 15 minutes or so.  It's also very well placed for getting to Heathrow.

However, be aware that many if not most of the budget hotels in Earl's Court are just as liable to lack all the amenities you seek (a/c, safe, queen bed, "space", etc.) as budget hotels in other neighborhoods.  By the same token, Earl's Court certainly has no lack of "snug" shoebox/ cupboard-size rooms!  But if you've found a hotel that meets your requirements, go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally booked a place. Went with K&K Hotel George Kensington which is a 2-3 minute walk to Earls Court Tube Station. Its on the Piccadilly and District line so its only a few stops away from most things we would want to get to during our 5 day stay.  It is a good compromise for us based on location  to the city centre and what we would be willing to spend and what amenities we would want. Will be paying about $460 for a refundable Twin/King room. Room size will be fine for us. I liked that the hotel  has a court yard to venture out into and by accounts should be quiet. 

On 1/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, Post Captain said:

However, be aware that many if not most of the budget hotels in Earl's Court are just as liable to lack all the amenities you seek (a/c, safe, queen bed, "space", etc.) as budget hotels in other neighborhoods.  By the same token, Earl's Court certainly has no lack of "snug" shoebox/ cupboard-size rooms!  But if you've found a hotel that meets your requirements, go for it!

Thanks for your views on Earls Court. It was helpful for me to choose this area. Looking forward to Staying there for a few days next summer. 

I just booked Strand Palace for 4 nights in August @ $262 CAD with free cancellation.   Non-refundable rate was $206.  An English friend recommended the hotel and its location seems ideal for our needs.

12 hours ago, yvr49 said:

I just booked Strand Palace for 4 nights in August @ $262 CAD with free cancellation.   Non-refundable rate was $206.  An English friend recommended the hotel and its location seems ideal for our needs.

You got a really good deal. I just checked again, for my dates in Mid July, the prices are double that for both refundable and non-refundable. I'll keep checking back on the Strand as I would of preferred to stay there as well but the refundable price for a superior King was $620 a night.