Two days between cruises.

misguy

We are doing 2 NCL cruises in Miami, but on different ships.   What is the best budget option for a place to stay.  It looks like the aiport area is cheaper, and there is public transportatio to town, is that a reasonable plan?

With two days I just wouldn't stay at the airport.

I am not sure if this fits your budget but take a look at the Hampton Inn in downtown.  Remember it includes a nice breakfast.

If you want to say at the airport Marriott has several different hotels at a range of prices.

Keith

Thrifty in January (high season) is much more expensive than 'thrifty' in August (low season).  Around the airport is cheaper.  I know you can take the Airport Express bus to Miami Beach for only a couple of dollars each way for a day of sightseeing.  Take your hotel shuttle back to the airport to catch the bus - https://lincolnroadmall.com/from-mia-to-south-beach-the-airport-flyer-express-bus-is-fast-easy-convenient-and-only-2-35/; http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/routes/150.pdf.  Reverse the route to return to your hotel.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, misguy said:

We are doing 2 NCL cruises in Miami, but on different ships.   What is the best budget option for a place to stay.  It looks like the aiport area is cheaper, and there is public transportatio to town, is that a reasonable plan?

Many recommend the Blue Lagoon area out by the airport. The bus ride into downtown will be a long one. It’s 7 miles from airport to downtown, a little longer to South Beach. 

From airport hotel you can shuttle back to the airport and then ride the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for about $3 each. Thrifty but not convenient or quick.  Blue. Lagoon hotels are in a nice area with nearby dining and shopping.

Key West is a long 4+ hour drive from Miami, and also very popular and expensive in January.  National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer shuttles between their MIA airport location and the port. Show the driver your reservation paperwork.

I was able to book a HI with points in Marathon, about the same as staying at the airport, and found a deal through Expedia so I can have an SUV for both days for 28 per day.  I will pick it up after we get off the Sky, go to Key West and spend the rest of the day, and then travel back up stopping for pictures till we get back to Miami.  I may try to get sunrise pictures from Miami Beach, how is the traffic back toward town if we do that on cruise day?

• Like 1

Traffic on the bridges coming back from the keys can get busy or can stop with just one accident - I would leave plenty early if you are driving back on your cruise day.  coming from Marathon is better than coming all the way from Key West. 

In Key West try to eat at El Siboney - a family run Cuban spot I have been enjoying for 30+ years! 😎

Good luck and have two great cruises.