Changes at Azamara UK

uktog

The news has now been released, Richard Twynam is leaving Azamara UK as of 31 December.

He is being replaced by Patrice Willoughby who is joining this week 

Here is part of the email.

Dear valued guest,

I wanted to personally write to you to let you know about some changes in our business and to let you know I will be leaving the company at the end of the year.

This is not a decision that I took lightly, having spent six years with Azamara setting up the UK team in 2014 and subsequently growing our UK business - backed by your loyal support.  I have been thrilled to be part of Azamara’s growth and expansion into land, working with the global team to deliver over 1,700 pre and post land programs and becoming leaders in Destination Immersion programming.

I am delighted to be handing over the baton to Patrice Willoughby who joined the team this week and will take on responsibility for our global development including the UK & Ireland.  Patrice is a luxury travel professional with lots of experience (and relationships) in our industry, including three years with Cunard and over 15 years with Virtuoso.  She really understands the industry and the needs of our customers and partners.   She is excited to take up role and meet our wonderful guests soon and return to the UK where she lived for over 10 years.

In addition, I wanted to introduce you to both Patricia (Patty) Gonzalez and Sandra Penaranda Hernandez on our loyalty team.  Patty and Sandra will be your key contacts going forward and they are coming to the UK in early 2020 and would very much like to meet with you.

I personally wanted to thank you for your support to me and our business. Our achievements in this market would not have been possible without your support.  Azamara will always hold a special place in my heart and I look forward to seeing the brand and business go from strength to strength in the UK & Ireland under Patrice’s guidance.

Edited by uktog

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

That fits in with what Phil was saying.

The feeling has been there for a while. A friend of mine works for a travel agency in Norway and he said that all the people working for Royal and subsidiaries in Europe had lost their jobs. 

I know many, including me have had valuable input from Richard in the past. I will be sorry to see this aspect of the business disappear and do wish him and everyone else in the Europe offices well. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The feeling has been there for a while. A friend of mine works for a travel agency in Norway and he said that all the people working for Royal and subsidiaries in Europe had lost their jobs. 

I know many, including me have had valuable input from Richard in the past. I will be sorry to see this aspect of the business disappear and do wish him and everyone else in the Europe offices well. 

Phil 

What a shame. We in the UK have been very lucky to have the UK section of Azamara . Like you I’ve had contact with Richard and have always found him very responsive. I’m very sorry that Azamara are closing what has been a huge asset to us and to them.

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this news about Richard Twynam and the loss of the U.K. based centre. They have been very helpful to myself and many other U.K. based customers in the past and I for one think this is another negative action of Azamara. I don’t hold out much hope of getting the kind of response from Miami or the LCV hosts that we had in Richard Twynam and his team. In fact I am still waiting for a response from the LCV team from an email I sent them in August!  

• Like 2

Yes if it’s the UK based support that’s all gone it’s a sad day. 
Richard was absolutely instrumental in keeping us with Azamara. He was passionate but realistic about Azamara and I know he worked hard to champion the non US agenda. 
it may be cultural but I cannot achieve that same level of understanding and support from the US teams. 
Time will tell what impact this change has for us. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this. Maybe that explains the issues with difficulty contacting some UK support that I and others have experienced recently.

I know others have had invaluable help from the U.K. based team in the past.

I suppose it’s watch this space as the new team emerges 

Vicki

Really bad news.  Richard was one of the reasons that Azamara was 'different'.  A Miami based replacement cannot offer the same level of service and knowledge of the UK market.  

I wish him well and hope that there is news of a new job for him soon.  He would be an asset to any company.

• Like 3

We have cruised with Azamara from the "early years" and have incredibly fond memories of Sonia Limbrick , her helpfulness and responsiveness and her team in the UK.

We understood that the appointment of Richard and his (expanded)  team reflected the increasing importance of the UK market for Azamara.  We are not sure where Azamara are going with this decision but time will, no doubt, tell.

Edited by workingtocruise-59
typo

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I am still waiting for a response from the LCV team from an email I sent them in August!  

Hi LottieA,

Sandra, one of our two LCV ambassadors, would like you to email her at LCVambassador@LeClubVoyage.com to help you resolve whatever issue you reference from August.

1 hour ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi LottieA,

Sandra, one of our two LCV ambassadors, would like you to email her at LCVambassador@LeClubVoyage.com to help you resolve whatever issue you reference from August.

Thank you Bonnie, but that’s actually pretty pointless now. My issue was in August after my July Pursuit cruise and needed to be resolved at the time. 
Thanks to you and Sandra for the offer though. I fear she may be rather busy with queries and problems from the U.K. sector now we have sadly lost the admirable Richard Twynam and his U.K. team. 

Sorry to read this...while I never dealt with Richard as I live in the US I know from the boards that he was always very responsive and helpful to you all in the UK. Guess "Management" at AZ decided it was more cost effective to have it all "under one roof in Miami"? Tough for all those people to lose their jobs too!!! :(

We also are sad to lose Richard and the U.K. team and wish them all the best for the future.

As to the future with Azamara I think it’s a retrograde step and the U.K. market will suffer as a consequence, we have 4 Azamara cruises booked for 2020 but will not be placing anymore eggs in the Azamara basket until we see how things work out.

We are currently on a Viking River cruise and found out yesterday that by 2027 Viking Ocean will have 25 ships, that’s a big commitment to this market sector, much more than we are seeing from Royal Caribbean for Azamara.

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Twynam aboard Pusuit last year and have recieved help from him on several occasions. He always responded to emails and was able to put me in touch with someone who could help. Very sorry to see that the UK team is being disbanded. A retrograde step.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

No matter how it's spun, the fact that Royal Caribbean has its hands well and truly on all areas of the Azamara markets does not fill me with cheer.  

Phil 

I’m with you Phil, really beginning to think Royal hasn’t got any long term plans for Azamara.

We greatly value your consistent feedback to help improve our brand, our achievements in this market would not have been possible without your support.

We also understand how this news could have caused some uncertainty and we would like to reassure you that we will not be closing our Azamara UK office. In the UK office we will still have our passionate and dedicated sales team that is thrilled to push the business forward.

In addition to that, we will have a fully supportive team in Miami; Patrice Willoughby will take on responsibility for our global development including the UK & Ireland.  Patrice is a luxury travel professional who really understands the industry and the needs of our customers and partners.

Patty Gonzalez and Sandra Penaranda Hernandez on our loyalty team will continue to be of full support to ensure we’re always providing a pleasant experience before, during and after your voyage.

Thank you again for your support and we thank Richard for all of his hard work these past years.

For any questions please contact Patty and Sandra: lcvambassador@leclubvoyage.com

Would be interested to know the exact function of the UK office now.  Presumably the passionate sales team will be selling to the travel industry rather than individuals (as presumably they have done up until now).  Will the team have any other duties ie will they be able to sort out queries etc as presumably Patrice will have many other global responsibilities.

The UK office has proved so helpful to many in the past.

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

I think this thread demonstrates how wrong or fake news can spread. I don't know why anyone thought that the UK office was closing from the information supplied.I for one never assumed that the UK office was closing.

Hopefully you are right. In Europe in general sales reps and offices are being tuned to service RCI and Miami is to take more responsibility for Celebrity and Azamara. Time will show.