$US from reception?

marylovestotravel

No. I have a ATM debit card from my bank which I use to withdraw money.  I have used it in many countries.  No fee from my bank and they refund any fees from other institutions. Costs me nothing.  Put money into that account and use ATM machines to get cash anywhere there is a machine.  I also have credit cards that have no fee for foreign transactions. I use them for direct credit cards purchases.

24 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

No. I have a ATM debit card from my bank which I use to withdraw money.  I have used it in many countries.  No fee from my bank and they refund any fees from other institutions. Costs me nothing.  Put money into that account and use ATM machines to get cash anywhere there is a machine.  I also have credit cards that have no fee for foreign transactions. I use them for direct credit cards purchases.

If you're going to use that ATM/debit combo card when traveling, you may want to ask your bank to turn off the debit access so that the card can only be used as an ATM card and not for purchases (and potential misuse by someone who gets hold of it).

IMO, the ideal card situation for international  travel is two different credit cards and two different non-debit ATM cards (for all of the obvious reasons).

There are certainly areas where local guides want U.S. dollars rather than local currency.  When we did a Black Sea cruise on Regatta in 2012 (Athens to Istanbul) the majority of our private guides wanted U.S. dollars.  And not just greenbacks but PRISTINE greenbacks.  No small tears or worn looking bills.  (Sometimes if you put bills through a wash load they come out looking brand new ... I found this out by accident!)

But ours was only a two week cruise and it was easy enough to bring a few hundred dollars in cash with us.  Since we boarded in Athens and used a recommended car service for the transfer to the port so we weren't worried about carrying so much cash with us.  I agree that Lima is a different situation.

Using a debit card at an ATM in foreign countries is fine for getting local currency, but not at all helpful if you want U.S. currency!

And I agree, never use a credit card for withdrawing cash from an ATM ... the fees are horrendous.

Mura

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

another option is ask O if you buy yourself OBC before  the cruise (deposit money in your onboard account) if it can be withdrawn through the cruise without issuehttps://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005406034-Can-I-cash-a-traveler-s-check-or-personal-check-on-the-ship-

Thanks, a wealth of information, direct from "O".

Mia

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're going to use that ATM/debit combo card when traveling, you may want to ask your bank to turn off the debit access so that the card can only be used as an ATM card and not for purchases (and potential misuse by someone who gets hold of it).

IMO, the ideal card situation for international  travel is two different credit cards and two different non-debit ATM cards (for all of the obvious reasons).

Yep. After we got pickpocketed in Barcelona, we always have a backup of each in our document case in the safe.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Yep. After we got pickpocketed in Barcelona, we always have a backup of each in our document case in the safe.

Not only that. One should have the numbers of these cards and the contact numbers listed separately somewhere else.

Once the card is stolen, its number and the phone number to notify the bank are a mystery unless one has that list.

I have learned that lesson - the hard way 😥

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Not only that. One should have the numbers of these cards and the contact numbers listed separately somewhere else.

Once the card is stolen, its number and the phone number to notify the bank are a mystery unless one has that list.

I have learned that lesson - the hard way 😥

Good point. We were lucky in Barcelona that our apt. had wifi so we could deal with everything quickly and online. And gratefully we could reach one of our daughters who wired us $500 (which is NOT a cheap way to get funds).

22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Once the card is stolen, its number and the phone number to notify the bank are a mystery

OT - does anyone have any hints on how to make a collect call to the bank with an iPhone.

When you simply dial the number, it just connects at your expense rather than collect.

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

OT - does anyone have any hints on how to make a collect call to the bank with an iPhone.

When you simply dial the number, it just connects at your expense rather than collect.

I honestly can't think of anyplace we've been in eons where we didn't have an internet connection.

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

LOL, Paul you are REALLY giving away your age with that question

I'm hearing echoes of endless pre 1970 Adverts, saying "out of town, please call collect".

The solution is to get the 800 number from your Bank which is accessible from the area of the World where you are vacationing.  

12 minutes ago, clo said:

I honestly can't think of anyplace we've been in eons where we didn't have an internet connection.

I guess I can make a wifi call from my iPad to the bank's number as that would be a call from my home number.

That said, it works most of the time but there are times when the wifi calling does not work.

Are you suggesting to contact the bank with a private message on bank's website rather than calling them?

Edited by Paulchili

9 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

The solution is to get the 800 number from your Bank which is accessible from the area of the World where you are vacationing.  

I have to look into that.

I thought the 800 numbers do not work from outside of US/Canada. I guess I am showing my age 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I thought the 800 numbers do not work from outside of US/Canada. I guess I am showing my age 🙂

Why do they need to be called. We contacted the banks via their websites and handled it that way.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I have only used  a pay phone (now extinct)  but I dialed the operator & asked them to make the collect call..maybe you can still do that ???

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Mine does not have an 800 number outside North America  either so you  are  not alone LOL

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Mine does not have an 800 number outside North America  either so you  are  not alone LOL

I was using 800 number generically, I should have said "toll free number".  

In the United States at least, only a small Savings Bank or Credit Union would not have an international toll free contact #.  

22 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

In the United States at least, only a small Savings Bank or Credit Union would not have an international toll free contact #.  

I verified with Bob that we didn't call either bank. We took care of it all through each bank's website. Why are you thinking you need to call?????

52 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I just looked at the Chase card in my wallet and another, both have a non 800 for international call outside US. Says call collect. Chase card is only a couple months old. I'd be willing to bet I could go look at my Citi and Amexs and they would be the same. 

Just for fun I'll go check them. 

Edit, yep, including Capital One, & BOA, they all have an outside of US call collect # on them. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

I just looked at the Chase card in my wallet and another, both have a non 800 for international call outside US. Says call collect. Chase card is only a couple months old. I'd be willing to bet I could go look at my Citi and Amexs and they would be the same. 

Just for fun I'll go check them. 

Edit, yep, including Capital One, & BOA, they all have an outside of US call collect # on them. 

Yes- all major credit cards have a "call collect" # on the back side since dialing 800 from outside North America gets you nowhere. 

The challenge is the ATM cards, which may not have that nicety.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

USE THEIR WEBSITE.

Absolutely not. Time is of the essence when someone has possible access to your $$$. That's why CC companies print the collect # on the back of the card (as much to protect them as well as you). And for those folks who have not turned off the debit feature on the ATM card, their account by could be wiped clean long before a web transaction is fully processed.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Time is of the essence

Totes. Once we discovered the pickpocketing we were reporting it as quickly as we could get back to our apt. We had a similar, but non physical issue that happened without a card near home when we were in SE Asia.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Totes. Once we discovered the pickpocketing we were reporting it as quickly as we could get back to our apt. We had a similar, but non physical issue that happened without a card near home when we were in SE Asia.

Here's some more info:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unauthorized-credit-debit-card-charges-29654.html

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Absolutely not. Time is of the essence when someone has possible access to your $$$. That's why CC companies print the collect # on the back of the card (as much to protect them as well as you). And for those folks who have not turned off the debit feature on the ATM card, their account by could be wiped clean long before a web transaction is fully processed.

I agree completely.  Calling the bank immediately is essential.  Thieves will waste no time in spending your money.  My ATM card does have an international phone number. Using their website to report a lost card is not the way to go, IMO. 

1 minute ago, sunlover12 said:

Using their website to report a lost card is not the way to go, IMO. 

And you base that on what? Did you read the link I shared? We very much protect our money and we study how to do that.