Bottled Water

Tennant

35 minutes ago, Tennant said:

What brand of bottled water is available on board and included in the premium beverage package?

Thanks!

I get the bottled water each cruise and I get different brands.  I guess I get whatever they buy in bulk at the time of purchase for our particular cruise.  No fancy brand, though.

Pooh

On 12/16/2019 at 12:27 PM, Tennant said:

What brand of bottled water is available on board and included in the premium beverage package?

Thanks!

I never understood why someone would pay for water. Most all bottled water is regular tap water using reverse osmosis to do extra filtering. Same as water at the bar. If there is extra vitamins or something added, well I can see that for those that need it. Otherwise what a waste of money. Plus disposal of the plastic bottle.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 9:27 AM, Tennant said:

Thanks!

As has been posted it varies & it’s been my experience that it’s based on region...on the West Coast it was Crystal Geyser; in the Med as I recall it was a Spanish brand.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I never understood why someone would pay for water. Most all bottled water is regular tap water using reverse osmosis to do extra filtering. Same as water at the bar. If there is extra vitamins or something added, well I can see that for those that need it. Otherwise what a waste of money. Plus disposal of the plastic bottle.

We bring/buy bottled water as it is easier to carry off the ship in ports.  We drink a lot of water and a refillable water bottle may not be useful if the place you are going doesn't have safe water to drink so therefore we cant refill our bottle of water.  Have also read that some bottled water sold on some islands is just reused bottles the locals fill back up with tap water which may or not be safe to drink.  But if we have bottled water we can bring as many off as we think we will need for our excursion and we bring the empties back and put them in the recycled bin on the ship...or if we see a recycle can in port. 

• Like 1

I don't care about anybody else's agenda.

I buy and drink bottled water.

I try to make sure it is spring water.

I make no apologies.

I would have no problem with other water if didn't have added toxins like fluoride and aluminum, etc...

It seems that the water onboard can vary.

When we sailed, we did have Spring Water! 

Drink Happy and stay hydrated!!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

We bring/buy bottled water as it is easier to carry off the ship in ports.  We drink a lot of water and a refillable water bottle may not be useful if the place you are going doesn't have safe water to drink so therefore we cant refill our bottle of water.  Have also read that some bottled water sold on some islands is just reused bottles the locals fill back up with tap water which may or not be safe to drink.  But if we have bottled water we can bring as many off as we think we will need for our excursion and we bring the empties back and put them in the recycled bin on the ship...or if we see a recycle can in port. 

Ok good reason. Sounds like you drink an awful lot of water when off of the ship. A quart each for us is more than enough.

On 12/17/2019 at 7:59 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

The best reason to drink bottled water is that it tastes significantly better than tap water. Of course, sometimes you get hit with a bad batch that has a strong plastic smell.

Agree. But reverse osmosis filtered tap water is as good as any bottled water and that is what the bars use.

2 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Princess doesn't use reverse osmosis.   They either bunker water, or use flash evaporators.

Very amusing. Do you know what bunker water is. Nothing more than stored water. As for Flash Evaporation. I doubt that very much. Flash (or partial) evaporation is the partial vapor that occurs when a saturated liquid stream undergoes a reduction in pressure by passing through a throttling valve or other throttling device. This process is one of the simplest unit operations.

Ships have the ability to filter salt water. You may not know that either. Very excellent drinking water. The water on many ships that you get our of the faucet might be bunker water if there filter system goes now. It is for emergencies. A ship in no way carries all the drinking water it needs stored. NAVY ships do.

I don't worry about "regular" bottled water. We only use it when going ashore as it's quick and easy to grab a bottle or two. Onboard we just drink the ship's water for the most part. If I have the beverage package I usually ask for San Pellegrino as my last drink of the day. It's good to hydrate before bed and I prefer it to Evian which is the "other" snazzy water carried by Princess.

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I don't worry about "regular" bottled water. We only use it when going ashore as it's quick and easy to grab a bottle or two. Onboard we just drink the ship's water for the most part. If I have the beverage package I usually ask for San Pellegrino as my last drink of the day. It's good to hydrate before bed and I prefer it to Evian which is the "other" snazzy water carried by Princess.

I think Perrier is a little fizzier, but I don't mind either.  

12 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Very amusing. Do you know what bunker water is. Nothing more than stored water. As for Flash Evaporation. I doubt that very much. Flash (or partial) evaporation is the partial vapor that occurs when a saturated liquid stream undergoes a reduction in pressure by passing through a throttling valve or other throttling device. This process is one of the simplest unit operations.

Ships have the ability to filter salt water. You may not know that either. Very excellent drinking water. The water on many ships that you get our of the faucet might be bunker water if there filter system goes now. It is for emergencies. A ship in no way carries all the drinking water it needs stored. NAVY ships do.

I find your comments rather insulting

Bunkered water is water taken on in port.

Perhaps while you're on board, you'll be able to watch a behind the scenes video where they mention flash evaporation,

and how many tons per day they produce.  They have a lot of waste heat...

They also collect air conditioning condensate, and use it for general purposes -- like deck washing.

With regard to which is in use during your cruise...

It depends on the number of hours sailing.

It the ship only sails for a few hours per day, it can't produce enough water, and bunkers.

On other itineraries, there is plenty of sailing time, and plenty of waste heat for flash evaporation.

Maybe you could be a little less condescending.

Edited by pablo222

Sorry if you were insulted. You are only mentioning the old way. Reverse osmosis has been used for many years now. Please read. You are correct. But so am I.

Most cruise ship water is desalinated sea water. The process usually involves steam evaporation -- essentially turning saltwater into distilled water. That water is then mineralized for flavor and chlorinated for extra safety. For several years now the newer ships are fitted with a reverse-osmosis system for filtering and/or desalination.

12 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Sorry if you were insulted. You are only mentioning the old way. Reverse osmosis has been used for many years now. Please read. You are correct. But so am I.

Most cruise ship water is desalinated sea water. The process usually involves steam evaporation -- essentially turning saltwater into distilled water. That water is then mineralized for flavor and chlorinated for extra safety. For several years now the newer ships are fitted with a reverse-osmosis system for filtering and/or desalination.

Princess says they use flash evaporation.   Both in their behind-the-scenes video, and when someone asked on the ultimate ship tour.

In the video, they show the evaporators.

I believe them.

Here is a post by a very well respected chief engineer who posts here from time-to-time:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2535512-drinking-water/?do=findComment&comment=54646975

And, another post which discusses how reverse osmosis is more expensive than flash evaporation:

(Particularly, the last paragraph)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2565972-princess-cruises-and-shower-water-rationing/?do=findComment&comment=55320632

So, which part of what I originally wrote was "Very amusing"?  ...as you said?

On 12/16/2019 at 9:27 AM, Tennant said:

Thanks!

If I have the premium beverage package, can I ask for more than one bottled water at a time?  I have to take medication before bed and in the morning, so I need two bottles before I retire to my cabin.  Also, would I get the bottled water from the cabin steward or at a bar?  Thanks!

On 12/22/2019 at 11:26 PM, Californian said:

If I have the premium beverage package, can I ask for more than one bottled water at a time?  I have to take medication before bed and in the morning, so I need two bottles before I retire to my cabin.  Also, would I get the bottled water from the cabin steward or at a bar?  Thanks!

You would get the bottled water from the bar. I don’t know if they would give you two at a time.   I suspect you would have to make two stops on your way to your cabin or get a bottle, wait a bit and order another one, Or perhaps just pick up one bottle at some point during the day, say after breakfast or lunch, and another at night before you retire. That way by the end of the day you will have two ready to go.