Do Sky Suites have Micheal Club Access?

wwwfla

Your assigned dining is in the suite restaurant, Luminae, much quieter than MDR with fantastic service. If you are on a "revolutionized" ship you have access to the Retreat "pool" deck. You will have a butler for special requests. There will be concierges in MIchael's Club, also called the Retreat Lounge on revolutionized ships. They can make special arrangements of all sorts. for you. I made a private appointment with a future cruises consultant, so no waiting in the future cruises area. The bar there is open pretty much all day until around 1 AM. 

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes, the drinks are available there, but what if you want to sit and sip by the pool?  Or go to the martini bar?  Or have a drink in the theater?  Things to consider.......

You don't need a drink package to sit and sip by the pool or go to the martini bar or have a drink in the theater.  All those things are available on a pay as you go basis.  You have to drink an awful lot to justify a drink package, particularly when you have access to the retreat lounge or Michael's.

• Like 1

We normally get drink package even with suite but pretty easy to skip it which we did once , I really don’t drink much at pool , can always get a large glass of wine or beer from micheals and bring it in luminae or any lounge . Micheals staff is always great with a nice selection of liquor, on last cruise we did not like there wine and asked for decoy Cabernet and they had it for us for rest of the cruise. 

There are other suite-only perks unpublished because they vary by sailing and concierge.

For example, our November cruise in a Silhouette Sky Suite had an officers’ cocktail party in Michael’s on the first Evening Chic night. It was nice to avoid the big crowds at similar officers’ events, and photos taken with the captain were provided at no cost. There was also a sail away gathering on the heli-pad as we left one night, and there was live music some evenings in Michael’s before dinner.

One of the best services at the end of the cruise was that the concierge led people in small groups out the “back way” of Michael’s directly to a side access for the disembarkation station to have cards exit-swiped, completely avoiding any lines.

Some concierges seem to do a better job than others at arranging extras, but all in all, I think X does a great job of making even entry-level suite passengers feel like it’s worth the hefty price tag.

We don’t often go to shows in the theater, but one evening, we arrived early to get a row seats we liked, forgetting that there are reserved seats somewhere for suite guests. Our butler suddenly appeared and said he’d been looking for us and offered to bring us drinks. 

We almost never use the services of the butler, but this one also did a fabulous job of arranging a small cocktail party with four friends in our suite one evening with huge platter of shrimp, very big cheese platter, and our provided champagne iced down. There was no charge and of course we thanked him with extra tips. Then we all went to Luminae, so the one couple, who hadn’t yet tried a suite on X, could check it out as our guests.  (IIRC, the guest charge was $20pp.)

I was surprised at how well the little Sky Suite worked for a party,  by the way, with a long “buffet” space beneath the TV. We could have easily had six more people (and had enough food for them)!  The couch is big enough for three people to sit comfortably, and of course the balcony is a good size. Looking forward to doing that again sometime if friends are on board.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

16 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We dined in Luminae, but Michaels was not an option.

You are right, it didn’t come until LATE 2015 after Luminae was established. I remember that our Dec 2015 cruise had both Luminae and benefits for Michael’s for the first time - found an article about the timing:

.https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6655

Edited by Caribbean Chris

4 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

When we had a Sky Suite on Millie in 2015, we didn't have access to Michaels.

That was then, this is now.  I believe the OP is looking for the current situation.  Which is that, yes, sky suites have access to Michael's/The Retreat Lounge.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Generally in Luminae they will ask to see your card or get your room number on the first visit.  Then they keep track for the duration of the cruise.

This.

I strongly suspect that behind the scenes they also make notes about your preferences because they remember the little things remarkably well.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The drinks in the Retreat Lounge (formerly Michael's) are complimentary.  Apparently they charge for them on the pool deck in the suite area if you don't have a drink package.  That's what I've heard.  Never been up there.  No elevator access.

Hi Linda

Edge actually has elevator access to the 16th Deck where the Retreat is located. 

When we sailed on Edge in November of this year, we were in an Edge Villa and were asked for our cards for the first 2 days as the staff got to know the passengers. After that, our cards were not necessary. I did see some chits produced for some passengers when we were up there.

I don’t recall us ever having to show our cards in the Retreat Lounge.

Randy

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The drinks in the Retreat Lounge (formerly Michael's) are complimentary.  Apparently they charge for them on the pool deck in the suite area if you don't have a drink package.  That's what I've heard.  Never been up there.  No elevator access.

A small elevator from deck 11 to deck 12 was recently installed at the front of the Summit.

This is in addition to the small elevator that was previously installed at the back of the ship.

I don't know about the other ships, so maybe someone else can chime in here.

For anyone reading this who is not familiar with the layout of the M-class ships, deck 12 does not go all the way across  from the front of the ship to the back,  so you need to go down to a lower deck to  cross and then come back up at the other end.

The original  standard elevators only go up to deck 11. 

A  small  elevator was added at each end  of the ship to make the new features on deck12 accessible for  passengers with disabilities who cannot use the stairs.

18 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Hi Linda

Edge actually has elevator access to the 16th Deck where the Retreat is located. 

When we sailed on Edge in November of this year, we were in an Edge Villa and were asked for our cards for the first 2 days as the staff got to know the passengers. After that, our cards were not necessary. I did see some chits produced for some passengers when we were up there.

I don’t recall us ever having to show our cards in the Retreat Lounge.

Randy

I know that, but I haven't sailed on Edge and likely won't at its current prices.  And I've heard that the elevator tends to be broken.  Haven't sailed Summit since renovation, that's next year.  Equinox had no elevator access.  From what I hear, there isn't any shade up there anyway.

Contrast that with Yacht Club on MSC which really gets the ship within a ship concept.  Elevator access to everything.  A gorgeous lounge with live music, 180 degree views, food & drink and butlers.  When I was on Equinox this fall, no butlers in evidence in Retreat Lounge and only one bartender who was so slow a person could have died of thirst.  It was basically a self-service deal.  Not impressed.  Food and drink service from a dedicated bar/restaurant in the sundeck area.  Tables in the shade.

Cards are not needed in the Retreat Lounge because that is an amenity for suites.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143