Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

For those of you who may never have an opportunity to take this type of cruise, or are contemplating doing so, I produced an extensive two part phtoshow that you might want to view, based on my doing this itinerary back in 2008.  One part covers the Antarctica portion of this itinerary, the other part covers the southern portion of South America and the Faulkland Islands (lots of penguins in this one). 

All the photography is "near professional" quality, most of it with captions and explanations of what you are seeing, and detailed information about the areas being visited.  Viewing these is the closest thing to have actually taken the cruise.  Of course, nothing replaces being there in person, seeing this most spectacular place on earth. 

Here is the link to the site where they reside.  http://www.photodex.com/share/cruisedoctor  (You may have to download the Photodex Plug-In to view them.)  Viewing on a large screen monitor (in FULL SCREEN mode) is recommended, and don't forget to turn your speakers on.  Then dim the room lights, have a big bowl of buttered popcorn ready, and your favorite adult beverage (or soda).   Enjoy!

Dr. J

12 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

Thank you so much. Super pictures and keeping everyone updated on a unique itinerary>

Add me to the list of thank yous for all your pictures and comments to our questions.  You did an incredible job!  The biggest take away is the weather conditions will be our “guide” to where we will be able to cruise and what we will be able to see - but no matter what it will all be incredible and we are all fortunate to see this part of our incredible planet earth.  God’s creation is truly amazing to behold. Happy New Year.  We board 1/21

Ushuaia! Beautiful weather today. Cool and clear. 

Happy New Year. 

As for formal night attire, we are not eating in the MDR for formal nights this trip so I don't know about the jacket issue. My husband does not bring a jacket on cruises any longer and we have gone to the MDR on occasion on many other cruises on Princess without a problem.  

IMG_20191231_080455.jpg

IMG_20191231_073807.jpg

IMG_20191231_070212.jpg

IMG_20191231_070148.jpg

IMG_20191231_093954.jpg

• Like 2

So for everyone trying to be efficient in packing, layers is the key. If the weather for you is similar to what we've experienced you need a packable down jacket, good warm socks, hat or ear warrmers, (scarf and gloves were really not used much  but I did use them some)and a windbreaker. I never needed long underwear. I've worn long pants every day during the day. So far never have worn my capris as it was cold even at the start of the trip. Maybe when we dock in Santiago it will finally be warm! 

While I wore boots for my penguin tour, I could have easily done fine without them. Yes, you walk on dirt and peat and there are penguin droppings, but all was dry. Perhaps if it had been rainy boots would have been a good idea. 

As the cruise has gone on, the ship seems colder in common areas, so bring a sweater too. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, erber said:

Tonight is the second formal night by the way. 

Thank you!  I saw lobster on the menu and don't want to miss that.  We skip formal night these days but we took an upsell to a suite and will order that from the MDR menu through room service.  Our friends gave us a specialty restaurant dinner as a gift and we were planning on doing that on the second or third formal night so I think we will now make that reservation for the third formal night.

By the way I bet it felt weird to be on land again after so many sea days!

Edited by azbirdmom

4 minutes ago, erber said:

So for everyone trying to be efficient in packing, layers is the key. If the weather for you is similar to what we've experienced you need a packable down jacket, good warm socks, hat or ear warrmers, (scarf and gloves were really not used much  but I did use them some)and a windbreaker. I never needed long underwear. I've worn long pants every day during the day. So far never have worn my capris as it was cold even at the start of the trip. Maybe when we dock in Santiago it will finally be warm! 

While I wore boots for my penguin tour, I could have easily done fine without them. Yes, you walk on dirt and peat and there are penguin droppings, but all was dry. Perhaps if it had been rainy boots would have been a good idea. 

As the cruise has gone on, the ship seems colder in common areas, so bring a sweater too. 

The packable down jacket was just needed for going out on deck, correct?  The temperatures don't seem cold enough on land for that.

15 minutes ago, erber said:

Ushuaia is very hilly so it was odd having "moving boat syndrome" on a steep incline. 

Packable down jacket was for on deck. Windbreaker was for Falklands. 

Thank you again!  You have been a tremendous help.

We have been to Ushuaia before so I completely understand the hills, and the moving boat issues too!  🙂

I am planning on taking a larger fleece jacket which I think will do fine with layers underneath.  I have most of what I want to take laid out.  We leave Thursday for Santiago and I really am getting excited for this trip.  And your info and pictures have helped to heighten that excitement - thank you so much for everything you have shared.

I want to thank you so much for all this info. We are not going until March, but already getting excited and now I know a bit better on what to pack. Did you go to the falls, or are you going to? We booked a Princess Tour to the falls and hope the ship will be in port in time for this tour to take place. Thank you for all the patters, it was fun reading what we may be able to do each day. By the way, just curious did you hear how many days it took to be invited to the top 40 Most Traveled Passenger event? On the Sky in Nov you needed over 750 days, will be quite a while before we have anything close to that. We will only have about half the number of the most traveled folks you had on your cruise, but curious how many days it took ti be invited to the MTP event. Thank you for all this info, and Happy New Year.

I have no idea about the MTP cut off. We are mere mortals with days in the low 200s. We have been invited to the MTP events on several Princess  Alaksa cruises! Most Alaska cruisers are first timers!

No we did not go to the falls and we have to go straight back to the U.S. I have to go back to work next week! Talk about anticlimactic!

Leaving Ushuaia. Captain just told us we will be passing some gorgeous Chilean hanging glaciers in 3 hours or so. We will be on our balcony then as they will be on the starboard side! Yes... I'll post some photos! Happy New Year!

IMG_20191231_143256.jpg

IMG_20191231_145638.jpg

IMG_20191231_145650.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Thank you!  I saw lobster on the menu and don't want to miss that.  We skip formal night these days but we took an upsell to a suite and will order that from the MDR menu through room service.  Our friends gave us a specialty restaurant dinner as a gift and we were planning on doing that on the second or third formal night so I think we will now make that reservation for the third formal night.

With tonight being New Year's Eve, they may not be following the usual order for menus. Note that the menu he posted says New Year's Eve on it. I would not count on tonight's menu being the one you'll have for your second formal night.