Live-ish -- Dec 20 Thru Jan 5 South America/Antarctica on Coral Princess

erber

When you order a cup of coffee how do you get it if they do not use paper cups? Do they just give out glass coffee cups? I will take my Yeti with me, so I will have it for the trip in March. I am glad they are concerned about the ocean, just want to see if I can still get coffee or hot chocolate while we are sailing by icebergs.

NoWhiners, I wore duck boots to Bluff Point. It wasn't really muddy or wet so I could have worn my sketchers or Sperry's. My boots were totally clean after the visit! I bought them for under $30 online through Walmart, I believe, or maybe Amazon. 

Shaver John, when you order coffee or whatever "to go" they put it in a plastic mug (the ones they have in the buffet) or they fill your own take away container cup. If you elect to drink it at the coffee bar, they will serve it in a tea cup or glass cup. No worries! 

We just left Charlotte Bay, an unscheduled stop just like Paradise Bay ( neither were in the original itinerary for scenic cruising). We saw so many whales I cannot even believe it. It was nonstop for a couple of hours. 

Tonight we saw the production show, On the Bayou. We have seen it several times on previous cruises. It was enjoyable. 

Tomorrow is Deception Island from 9:30 to 11:00. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erber said:

We just left Charlotte Bay, an unscheduled stop just like Paradise Bay ( neither were in the original itinerary for scenic cruising). We saw so many whales I cannot even believe it. It was nonstop for a couple of hours. 

Tonight we saw the production show, On the Bayou. We have seen it several times on previous cruises. It was enjoyable. 

Tomorrow is Deception Island from 9:30 to 11:00. 

OMG. Your sightings just keep getting better and better!  These type of cruises where wildlife is involved can be hit or miss - you appear to be having a hit.  So exciting.

Hi erber, do you think investing in telephoto lens 70-200m will be able to capture the “far away” penguins and whales? My initial plan is to bring my 2 lens 10-24mm and 24-70mm, however looking at wildlife that you saw but unable to capture due to distance, I am considering investing in a telephoto lens. 

Edited by Sumitro Ong

3 hours ago, erber said:

NoWhiners, I wore duck boots to Bluff Point. It wasn't really muddy or wet so I could have worn my sketchers or Sperry's. My boots were totally clean after the visit! I bought them for under $30 online through Walmart, I believe, or maybe Amazon. 

Thanks for this, it is a big help in my prep!

29 minutes ago, Sumitro Ong said:

Hi erber, do you think investing in telephoto lens 70-200m will be able to capture the “far away” penguins and whales? My initial plan is to bring my 2 lens 10-24mm and 24-70mm, however looking at wildlife that you saw but unable to capture due to distance, I am considering investing in a telephoto lens. 

I think that you will need more than that.

Our ship the Silver Cloud had 200 pax and 240 crew. It was a small ice class rated ship that could sail close to the coastlines allowing us to take zodiacs ashore.

The Coral is about 2000 pax?

Hubby took two camera bodies, one with 16-300mm and the other with 100-400mm. He used both of them too in the zodiacs and from the ship. There is no time to change lenses, hence the two cameras. If you want close ups of penguins and their chicks, see lions, albatross, or the various whale species, you will need a longer focal length lens.

Here is a photo of a whale fluke taken with the 100-400mm lens that hubby registered with the Happy Whale tracking site.

Screenshot_20190129-220411_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e20da8ab46e5e69f8ce94bc537243b5f.jpg

Edited by cflutist

I defer to others about camera lenses. Not my area of expertise. Yes, I can't take the awesome shots, but I can enjoy the wildlife with binoculars or just my eyes. I got some good shots of whales yesterday even just with my pixel. One of the whales waa literally just below our balcony! It was crazy how many whales were in that bay. 

We will be at Deception Island in 2 hours. 

• Like 5

Thank you cflutist. I have just got myself Nikkor 70-300mm lens as I can't afford and do not want to bring bulkier telephoto lens.  

We have to thank erber for spending time to update us live from Coral Princess sailing Antarctica and South America. I will be on 21st Jan 2020 cruise with same itinerary and very much looking forward.

• Like 1

Captain just told us Gerlache Strait is totally blocked so we were lucky yesterday we got to do everything we did. Now as we approach Deception Island it is snowing! Very foggy too. We can't cruise  into the inner coast of the island and will only be able to cruise the outer coast due to weather. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for taking the time to post.  I know it hasn't been easy with the Internet situation but you've provided a wealth of information for those of us who will soon be on our own Antarctic adventures and for that I am grateful!  Hoping the forecasts of heavy seas aren't accurate!

Julie

• Like 2

Julie, 

Thanks. It has been frustrating trying to upload photos so many times and just have them fail. I'll try to post some when internet improves. 

Gottagocit,

Laundry has been a 3 day turn around. We got some back yesterday. So, no, laundry service is not closed during Antarctica portion of the trip. 

Now captain estimates 5 to 6.5 meter seas ahead and strong winds.

Captain Circle party is tonight. Will go as long as it is not to rolly!

• Like 5

Great! Thanks once again. 
We’ve seen a couple instances where they closed them to limit water treatment needs for periods of time and understood it had to do with limiting water discharges but there cold have been other issues involved. 

Edited by gottagocit

If anyone is interested in doing so you can add some of the islands (or ports for that matter) to your smart phones weather app and easily check out the weather forecast for the upcoming 10 days.
A couple of the islands the Coral sailed near while in Antartica this week on the same itinerary were Elephant and Deception Islands. I found both were available to add to my iphones weather app which I will check periodically when considering clothing we will take as our travel dates get close.  
Today as they began leaving the Antarctic region and heading back toward South America they had temps of 30 deg and 40 mph winds with occasional snow according to a posting read earlier. 
Chris

• Like 2

The Captain Circle party was well attended. There are 1300 Captain Circle members on board. I believe they said 484 are Platinum and 424 are elite, or it might have been the other way around. The top Most Traveled Passengers have 1001 days! 

The seas are really rocking tonight. But we are fine. Lots of creaking and the ocassional banging noises. It's the roughest seas we've ever experienced.  

We ate a smallish dinner in the buffet tonight before going to the Captain Circle party. They had Mongolian stir fry where you choose all the ingredients and they make it to order. It was delicious. After the party we each had hazelnut pudding at the International Cafe. Paper to-go cups for coffee are available once again. Not a straw in sight in any of the drinks at the Captain Circle party, by the way. 

Yes, I tried to post photos AGAIN and the website still rejects them....maybe tomorrow we will be far enough north again for it to work! 

Edited by erber
  • Like 3

Here is the patter for today's activities. Took forever to load (45 minutes) but at least things are finally getting back to normal. Yay!

Seas are between 5 and 6 meters . It was a wild night. It is very rolly!

IMG_20191229_173502.jpg

IMG_20191229_173517.jpg

IMG_20191229_173519.jpg

IMG_20191229_173530.jpg

Weather was very foggy and grim at Deception Island. As I said earlier, we could only cruise along the outer coast. These photos show what it looked like with the fog and grayness. The Holland America ship had to skip going there  due to the weather. 

The second photo shows Bailey Head and the sewing machine needle rocks at Deception Island.

The third photo, I lightened and heightened to see it better. 

IMG_20191229_074257~2.jpg

IMG_20191229_080207.jpg

IMG_20191229_080954.jpg

• Like 4