A-Z .... The ABC and D Islands on the Zuiderdam

scubacruiserx2

8 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We had our oldest daughter and or teen aged grandsons yesterday and they wanted ribs so I fired up the Barbie and here's the result .

DSC01447 (2).JPG

DSC01448 (2).JPG

Looks fab, total fire ban here at the moment, so all our cooking is indoors.

4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I forgot to mention that we had received a letter with an apology from the concierges about the loss of hot water for the first 3 days . They also credited $ 425 back to our charge card . It was a pleasant surprise and a very nice gesture on HAL's part .

Nice windfall.

2 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Are the fires ( smoke ) affecting you ?

Yes, Canberra has had the worst air quality in the world (at one point 3 x worse than dehli)for a week or so but it is starting to clear now, the fires are devastating but while affecting the areas around us have not come near us as yet.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, Canberra has had the worst air quality in the world (at one point 3 x worse than dehli)for a week or so but it is starting to clear now, the fires are devastating but while affecting the areas around us have not come near us as yet.

Wow , sorry about that . It's good to hear that it's starting to clear .

4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

I forgot to mention that we had received a letter with an apology from the concierges about the loss of hot water for the first 3 days . They also credited $ 425 back to our charge card . It was a pleasant surprise and a very nice gesture on HAL's part .

That's wonderful, and rightfully the thing to do!  Had that happened to us, my DH would not have been happy, at all!  Did you go take your showers in the fitness center/locker rooms?

7 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

That's wonderful, and rightfully the thing to do!  Had that happened to us, my DH would not have been happy, at all!  Did you go take your showers in the fitness center/locker rooms?

We were not too happy about that but DW had a little hot water on long enough for a quick shower on day 2 but it was off when I tried to take one . I settled for a bird bath until it came on in the room .

41 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Wow , sorry about that . It's good to hear that it's starting to clear .

The wind is starting to clear the smoke haze from the valley but the fires have not really slowed down and some are getting larger, the smoke will be back if the conditions continue.

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The wind is starting to clear the smoke haze from the valley but the fires have not really slowed down and some are getting larger, the smoke will be back if the conditions continue.

It sounds scary ! Are there evacuation plans in the works ?

37 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

It sounds scary ! Are there evacuation plans in the works ?

They evacuated the whole south east coast (tourists were asked to leave and residents as well if they wanted to) last weekend, and some places the whole towns had to be evacuated as the fires have trapped them. We have had navy vessels taking some residents out by sea.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They evacuated the whole south east coast (tourists were asked to leave and residents as well if they wanted to) last weekend, and some places the whole towns had to be evacuated as the fires have trapped them. We have had navy vessels taking some residents out by sea.

Yikes ! Are you OK where you and Rosy are ?

Just now, scubacruiserx2 said:

Yikes ! Are you OK where you and Rosy are ?

We are fine, It is just the smoke and the hazardous air quality to contend with luckily. 

https://air-quality.com/place/australia/canberra/6b4d3d4e?lang=en&standard=aqi_us

BTW, we live in Monash.

The historical chart is the daily index, the black ones were for the 1st, 2nd and 5th of Jan.