TRAVELING WITH PRINCESS AS A SINGLE PERSON

2old4this

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Here’s a few words on singles cruising alone.

For many singles, the losing of a beloved mate doesn’t mean cruising has ended.  It remains within reach, albeit, delayed because of a recent tragedy and loss.  To survive, one must push on, get happy again, focus the mind on great joys just ahead.  For you and I who cruised with mates who loved cruising, too, we must carry on for us and in memory of them.  Cruising in our lives was meant to be.   So, let’s get aboard and shove off.  For me, I join the 16-day Fire and Ice Adventure London to NYC on 23 July, 2020.

That above opening statement illustrates my situation as a devotee of all things cruising who now travels as a single senior male in search of the joys just ahead.  Since I dislike going places alone, I’m always looking for a friendly female face, a senior like me, who, too, likes company.  I did exactly seek out people alone and friendly on my cruise from SF to Hawaii and back last month.  See my travelogue below as my introduction and for pictures of me.  I joined different ladies at dinner, at coffee in the International Café, and just chatted with them in various places while onboard.

The several ladies filled a void for me.  The wonderful Grand Princess, and my suite, plus those many perks did the rest.  I came home a ‘lifted’ person.

Jack

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

• Like 2

There are many of "us" in this same boat.  I wish that there was a way of introducing ourselves so that we wouldn't have to sail alone.  Way back when....they used to have single guarantees.  Very nice write up of Hawaii.  One of my favorite places on earth.  Grew up there, sailed there, semi-retired there...

Happy cruising

23 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There are many of "us" in this same boat.  I wish that there was a way of introducing ourselves so that we wouldn't have to sail alone.  Way back when....they used to have single guarantees.  Very nice write up of Hawaii.  One of my favorite places on earth.  Grew up there, sailed there, semi-retired there...

Happy cruising

My dear cr8tiv1 - quite a title there, cr - thanks for the comments.  I'm one year beyond my loss of my one and only love and I got my head up again due in major part to the great responses I got from three beautiful ladies.  They were slightly younger than me; they being in their mid-80s each with love stories of their own.

Princess hosted two 1-hour sessions for veterans and they were well attended.  They allowed we war guys to intro one another and to simply converse.  More could have easily been done with the program with very little forethought.  It was Princess' way to say thanks to we who served.  I mention this because I think something to bring singles together could be promoted easily, too.  Perhaps my chat here which caught YOUR eye will nab others, as well.

"Hi there, cr, how about joining me tonight for dinner and talk?"

Jack

• Like 2

Jack, enjoyed reading your journal of your recent sailing on the Grand.

Were you not informed of one of the 'favorite ' perks for passengers booked in a suite on Princess,  which is breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants? The breakfast includes any specialty coffees and mimosa's desired. You do not mention ever going and only note  visits to 'Lido' early in the morning. Also in the future, if you ever book a suite again, you are entitled to complimentary room service of the entire dining room menu during normal dining hours, in case you do not feel like leaving your stateroom or just too tired.

Did you also also take advantage of the perk of complimentary laundry services?

I hope you are able to experience another cruise soon.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Jack, enjoyed reading your journal of your recent sailing on the Grand.

Were you not informed of one of the 'favorite ' perks for passengers booked in a suite on Princess,  which is breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants? The breakfast includes any specialty coffees and mimosa's desired. You do not mention ever going and only note  visits to 'Lido' early in the morning. Also in the future, if you ever book a suite again, you are entitled to complimentary room service of the entire dining room menu during normal dining hours, in case you do not feel like leaving your stateroom or just too tired.

Did you also also take advantage of the perk of complimentary laundry services?

I hope you are able to experience another cruise soon.

I missed some perks and a few of those you mentioned now.  I go again in July, in a suite, and I will tick off the perks that are mine to enjoy.  No more missing the goodies.  See my son Brian in the photo enjoying his half of the suite.  Incidently, he got nailed for $600 worth of phone calls when he got home.  He thinks he may have left open one of his few calls to his wife for a few hours.  Thanks WallyJ!

Jack

BRIAN MIDDAY.JPG

Oh this topic is near and dear to my heart.

I have been doing solo cruising since 1980 when I was in my late twenties.

I developed a love of ships having watched the Love Boat and I did one with my Dad in 1977 (Oceanic)

He passed in 1980 and since various friends and family could not or would not travel, I decided to go on my own.

I alternated between cruises, Walt Disney World, and Bus tours through Europe.

I travel to see the world and to learn and take photos.  It has become more difficult in the last 7 years given social media and smartphones.  Folks have all the friends they can handle since it is easier to keep in touch.

So I take my books (real) and my coloring books and Word Search and park myself somewhere. Eventually folks will stop and chat.  I like to look at the water and see other ships at sea and in port.

I do not drink alcohol (perhaps 1 wine) nor do I gamble.  I love Trivia but since no one is very inviting, I just sit and listen and learn.

So  years ago having lost both parents before I turned 25, I learned to to just go and not care who stares or feels sorry if I am alone.  I have fun watching folks bicker among themselves or parents arguing and angry with kids.  I just smile and glad I am alone. 

In the end I see more folks travelling solo and NCL has those wonderful Studios.

Think of it this way, There are folks in hospitals or nursing homes who can't travel and would love to trade places with any of us who get to travel.  

I sometimes feel sorry for folks who are afraid to be alone and think ya have to have others around to have fun.  so they do without taking vacations and stay home. I meet folks and chat and enjoy the time spent.    

• Like 3

See if his phone provider will negotiate the phone charges. Many passengers forget to set thier phones back to 'airplane' mode after leaving US ports like Alaska and Hawaii and incur roaming fees.

Club class dining is avaible everyday for breakfast and dinner and for lunch on sea days. If in a suite, most passengers do not miss the specialty restaurant breakfast where everything is made to order. Also mimosa's can be made with your choice of juices or plain champagne if desired. I enjoy a bowl of fresh berries and add some to my mimosa.

if you have not researched already, the foreign port stop requirement is the result of the PSVA, passenger services vessels act, not the Jones act.

The princess website details all the benefits afforded suite passengers if you have further questions.

I'm  a single cruiser too and I watch out for particularly American wives or partners claiming their errant one with an invisible chain. They may dress them in the same colours, they may walk around the ship one behind the other with arms firmly outstretched clasping their dearly beloved as if they are glued together. Keep off, mine, my territory: the body language says.  Dare the errant one if his loved one is not with him strike up a conversation with an obviously lone  female  particularly if say up to a decade or two younger . If the conversation is animated and smiling eye contact being made which mutually happens if conversation is flowing  ooh never fear hes being watched. Jealous eyes flash and in a jiffy the errant ones partner will be over to claim and drag the bad one away. "Come on,  what are you doing you know  we arranged to meet so and so"  "oh did we'? and the errant one, head bowed, meekly disappears on his chain . I just laugh. Sometimes if Ive finished ,just to be evil i will wait a couple of minutes and leave the area  very likely they are  still around but the danger has gone and they are doing different things. I just discreetly  try and catch  the eye of the male and smile  as I pass in the opposite direction.:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Minya said:

I'm  a single cruiser too and I watch out for particularly American wives or partners claiming their errant one with an invisible chain. They may dress them in the same colours, they may walk around the ship one behind the other with arms firmly outstretched clasping their dearly beloved as if they are glued together. Keep off, mine, my territory: the body language says.  Dare the errant one if his loved one is not with him strike up a conversation with an obviously lone  female  particularly if say up to a decade or two younger . If the conversation is animated and smiling eye contact being made which mutually happens if conversation is flowing  ooh never fear hes being watched. Jealous eyes flash and in a jiffy the errant ones partner will be over to claim and drag the bad one away. "Come on,  what are you doing you know  we arranged to meet so and so"  "oh did we'? and the errant one, head bowed, meekly disappears on his chain . I just laugh. Sometimes if Ive finished ,just to be evil i will wait a couple of minutes and leave the area  very likely they are  still around but the danger has gone and they are doing different things. I just discreetly  try and catch  the eye of the male and smile  as I pass in the opposite direction.:)

You cracked me up with this post Minya.  Reminds me of a guy I worked with and his wife was so jealous if he talked to any woman.  They would be out walking and she would cross the street if they were walking towards me.  Guess what....two can play that game and I would cross the street and go up and say hi.  The stupid thing was their daughter and our daughter were really good friends so she knew I was happily married lol.  I think I would do what you do....always good for a chuckle.  I am now traveling solo for the first time in Feb. as my husband of 37 years just passed away.  I love to travel and will continue.

3 hours ago, 2old4this said:

I missed some perks and a few of those you mentioned now.  I go again in July, in a suite, and I will tick off the perks that are mine to enjoy.  No more missing the goodies.  See my son Brian in the photo enjoying his half of the suite.  Incidently, he got nailed for $600 worth of phone calls when he got home.  He thinks he may have left open one of his few calls to his wife for a few hours.  Thanks WallyJ!

Jack

BRIAN MIDDAY.JPG

This may help on your next cruise... I purchase the unlimited internet and with my iPad/phone on airplane mode I make phone calls and also video chat free of charge using Facebook messenger. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cormike1 said:

You cracked me up with this post Minya.  Reminds me of a guy I worked with and his wife was so jealous if he talked to any woman.  They would be out walking and she would cross the street if they were walking towards me.  Guess what....two can play that game and I would cross the street and go up and say hi.  The stupid thing was their daughter and our daughter were really good friends so she knew I was happily married lol.  I think I would do what you do....always good for a chuckle.  I am now traveling solo for the first time in Feb. as my husband of 37 years just passed away.  I love to travel and will continue.

I wish you well in February, Cormike1.  I did the single bit last month for the first time and came home pleased.  I made new friends, shared dinners, and had marvelous chats with lady singles.  No boredoms and no loneliness allowed.  I shall continue my MO on my cruise in July with Island Princess.  See my Hawaii travelogue below.   Jack

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minya said:

Interesting take on jealousies and relationships.

32 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

This may help on your next cruise... I purchase the unlimited internet and with my iPad/phone on airplane mode I make phone calls and also video chat free of charge using Facebook messenger. 

I had the same unlimited plan.  I'll pass your tip to him.  Many thanks, MsSoCalCruiser.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh this topic is near and dear to my heart.

I have been doing solo cruising since 1980 when I was in my late twenties.

I developed a love of ships having watched the Love Boat and I did one with my Dad in 1977 (Oceanic)

He passed in 1980 and since various friends and family could not or would not travel, I decided to go on my own.

I alternated between cruises, Walt Disney World, and Bus tours through Europe.

I travel to see the world and to learn and take photos.  It has become more difficult in the last 7 years given social media and smartphones.  Folks have all the friends they can handle since it is easier to keep in touch.

So I take my books (real) and my coloring books and Word Search and park myself somewhere. Eventually folks will stop and chat.  I like to look at the water and see other ships at sea and in port.

I do not drink alcohol (perhaps 1 wine) nor do I gamble.  I love Trivia but since no one is very inviting, I just sit and listen and learn.

So  years ago having lost both parents before I turned 25, I learned to to just go and not care who stares or feels sorry if I am alone.  I have fun watching folks bicker among themselves or parents arguing and angry with kids.  I just smile and glad I am alone. 

In the end I see more folks travelling solo and NCL has those wonderful Studios.

Think of it this way, There are folks in hospitals or nursing homes who can't travel and would love to trade places with any of us who get to travel.  

I sometimes feel sorry for folks who are afraid to be alone and think ya have to have others around to have fun.  so they do without taking vacations and stay home. I meet folks and chat and enjoy the time spent.    

Great reporting, OceansAway.  A good read.  You appear fearless and I hope you have decades ahead during which you never find yourself needing someone near and dear to get you up and going.  Finding yourself far from home and very sick or injured in someway stirs the fears more than a little for many.

Jack1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

Most cruises, particularly longer ones will have a time and place in Princess Patter for singles and solo cruisers to meet,  many people arrange to share  shore excursions with others or just get to know other people on their own.

• Like 1

I traveled alone for many years until my sister retired, so now I have a permanent partner.  When I was in my 20's and went on a Caribbean vacation, a slightly older cousin once asked how I could stand to do it alone.  I told her 'It's 100% better than not going at all!'  I did another solo cruise last month, because my sister and niece (they live with me) went north to visit two other daughters for around 10 days.  I ran away on Island Princess for 4 nights.  EM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I traveled alone for many years until my sister retired, so now I have a permanent partner.  When I was in my 20's and went on a Caribbean vacation, a slightly older cousin once asked how I could stand to do it alone.  I told her 'It's 100% better than not going at all!'  I did another solo cruise last month, because my sister and niece (they live with me) went north to visit two other daughters for around 10 days.  I ran away on Island Princess for 4 nights.  EM

A 4 day cruise is a little short for me but much better than sitting at home . . . alone.  Describe what you liked and disliked about Island.  I will be on it in July for 16 days.  Jack

5 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Most cruises, particularly longer ones will have a time and place in Princess Patter for singles and solo cruisers to meet,  many people arrange to share  shore excursions with others or just get to know other people on their own.

THOUGHTS ON SINGLE TRAVELER MEETING

Per Gwendy above:  More than just meeting, these gatherings need a leader who gets people changing seats, perhaps moving the whispered message from person 1 to person 50 to see where the ending takes us.  How about a punch card tally to see how many paired off for dinners, excursions, and deck games.  Those with the most punches get small gifts from the ship's store purchased with group pocket money collected at the meeting.

To get people conversing, the men take one or two numbered cards from the male hat.  The ladies take the same numbered cards from their own hat. The first man stands, calls out a number and the lady with the same number responds.  They sit together.  In the event more ladies than men are at the meeting, the men draw a second number and that lady responds and joins him, too.  Where great differences between persons, i.e., a lady 29 joins a man 93, the leader adjusts as desired.

Future meetings of the group would discuss how traveling solo is going.

Patter is the place to announce such things.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading your posts on your Hawaii cruise Jack.  I to take CC complainers with a grain of salt as the saying goes.  eople are always saying Carnival is a party cruise line for young party goers.  Well who is cruising late Sept. early Oct. on a Canada/New England cruise to see the leaf colours?  Certainly not the young party goers lol.  Your vacation is what you make it and I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken regardless of the cruise line.  My husband and I always asked to sit at a table with others if we were not cruising with friends, and loved chatting with others during meals.  I will continue to do that myself as I do enjoy meeting new people and hearing about different lifestyles.  It will be different traveling myself but I am looking forward to this new and different time in my life.  I know he is with me and encouraging me to do this so I will.  I enjoyed reading about how you made the best of everything to Jack.  By the way....the Island is a lovely small ship.  We have cruised on her a couple of times and really liked the size.  Happy traveling Jack!

Thanks for posting. Breakfast in Sabatini's was our favorite suite perk when we sailed in one on the Royal. 

I sailed solo twice last year although my husband is still alive. He chose to go back to work in retirement. It's just part time and seasonal, so we did have a chance to cruise together this past fall on the Crown Princess's transatlantic cruise. On the two trips I took without him, I always requested to dine with others at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I met people by playing trivia. The singles and solos group wasn't well attended on my Alaskan trip, but I did meet a few nice people. We ended up meeting at the evening cocktail event for Platinum, Elite, and suite passengers instead of the singles and solos meetings. On my solo cruise last month, there were lots of folks who met for the singles and solos group. I did not attend regularly, but I joined the people at breakfast and lunch, at the wine tasting, and other activities around the ship.

3 hours ago, cormike1 said:

I enjoyed reading your posts on your Hawaii cruise Jack.  I to take CC complainers with a grain of salt as the saying goes.  eople are always saying Carnival is a party cruise line for young party goers.  Well who is cruising late Sept. early Oct. on a Canada/New England cruise to see the leaf colours?  Certainly not the young party goers lol.  Your vacation is what you make it and I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken regardless of the cruise line.  My husband and I always asked to sit at a table with others if we were not cruising with friends, and loved chatting with others during meals.  I will continue to do that myself as I do enjoy meeting new people and hearing about different lifestyles.  It will be different traveling myself but I am looking forward to this new and different time in my life.  I know he is with me and encouraging me to do this so I will.  I enjoyed reading about how you made the best of everything to Jack.  By the way....the Island is a lovely small ship.  We have cruised on her a couple of times and really liked the size.  Happy traveling Jack!

Thank you, Cormike1, for the comments on my Hawaii travelogue.  Much appreciated regarding one of my favorite cruises of all time.  I've enjoyed all of them but this one on the ever so friendly Grand Princess was my best.  Things just came together.

I wish you well and many exciting moments on Carnival.  The time of year and those changing colors should be most satisfying.  As for the 'party-goers' surroundings you will face, I have to wonder the outcome.  Carnival does promote youth and good times and even provides the playground stuff topside.  Being up in years and still grieving the loss of a special person in my life, I'm seem more happy with crowds without children and quiet nights in the hallways after 10 pm.

I'm taken with Princess having been spoiled in November and December in my first suite and then with summer days in Hawaii.  Jack

I've taken 5 solo cruises after traveling with a friend for many decades. There are pros and cons for going both ways, but people on cruises are generally friendly and easy to talk to so I haven't been lonely or bored when going solo. 

Sometimes I attend the solo luncheons or get togethers...some are fun and others are a bust. We solos on the roll call for my next cruise have planned a dinner soon after embarkation. The cruise is 58 days long which can enable solos to get to know each other better than on a shorter cruise. 

Although I enjoy spending  time with fellow passengers, I also like being able to go back to my cabin when I want some alone time. The worst part about going solo is paying the single supplement! Also, sometimes people organizing private tours won't accept a solo...they only want 2 people together...most don't do this but a few do.

I'm not a widow, but am glad that going solo has helped with the healing. Enjoy your travels!☺️

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I've taken 5 solo cruises after traveling with a friend for many decades. There are pros and cons for going both ways, but people on cruises are generally friendly and easy to talk to so I haven't been lonely or bored when going solo. 

Sometimes I attend the solo luncheons or get togethers...some are fun and others are a bust. We solos on the roll call for my next cruise have planned a dinner soon after embarkation. The cruise is 58 days long which can enable solos to get to know each other better than on a shorter cruise. 

Although I enjoy spending  time with fellow passengers, I also like being able to go back to my cabin when I want some alone time. The worst part about going solo is paying the single supplement! Also, sometimes people organizing private tours won't accept a solo...they only want 2 people together...most don't do this but a few do.

I'm not a widow, but am glad that going solo has helped with the healing. Enjoy your travels!☺️

A great read and thanks, Go-Bucks!  I occasionally looked for announcements in the Grand Princess newspaper regarding solo travelers and didn't see one.  True, I didn't look often given I was fully engaged with my two adult offspring.  So much to do and 15 days to do them.  Wonderful!

You must have felt the loss when your travel companion of several decades was no longer available.  You seemed to have adjusted nicely to adopting the solo role and, for you, life and cruising went forward.

I tossed in a photo of my blonde daughter (l), a lady friend in Hawaii, and me at a coffee plantation.  Jack

COFFEE BREAK.jpg

• Like 1