Oceania Club - Bottle of Wine Benefit

Classiccruiser777

With the newly implemented Oceania Club benefits “bronze” level members and up receive a complimentary bottle of private label wine. Has anyone who has received this benefit had the option to choose a red or white or is the bottle delivered to your cabin the bottle you get?

6 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

With the newly implemented Oceania Club benefits “bronze” level members and up receive a complimentary bottle of private label wine. Has anyone who has received this benefit had the option to choose a red or white or is the bottle delivered to your cabin the bottle you get?

It's red wine - I seem to remember merlot or cab or something like that. Best way to describe it is "pizza wine" (similar to some of the booze package offerings).

Want good wine at a reasonable price? Bring your ow high end wine and eat the $25 corkage. You'll come out far ahead in the equation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

We had 3 bottle of Red, B2B & some consortium perk, we changed 2 of them for White. It's real low end stuff. 

It’s only low end stuff for the first bottle - by the time you are finishing the second it might taste like some fine French wine 😀

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's red wine - I seem to remember merlot or cab or something like that. Best way to describe it is "pizza wine" (similar to some of the booze package offerings).

Want good wine at a reasonable price? Bring your ow high end wine and eat the $25 corkage. You'll come out far ahead in the equation.

I was expecting  Petrus...    Darn,,  well it wont be heartbreaking  I generality like a nice glass of Boones Farm to sip .  I a nice Jagermister...

16 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It’s only low end stuff for the first bottle - by the time you are finishing the second it might taste like some fine French wine 😀

We got a bunch of fruit from the Terrace and made Sangria of one of the Whites. We gave the other two bottles away. 

47 minutes ago, ORV said:

We got a bunch of fruit from the Terrace and made Sangria of one of the Whites. We gave the other two bottles away. 

So you never got to the “fine French wine” level with your second bottle 😀

Did those people still speak to you afterwards? 😀

That’s a new one - I’ve heard of making lemonade out of lemons but not sangria out of bad wine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

So you never got to the “fine French wine” level with your second bottle 😀

Did those people still speak to you afterwards? 😀

That’s a new one - I’ve heard of making lemonade out of lemons but not sangria out of bad wine.

Not a joke and not for "bad" white wine but here's a white wine sangria that I love to make:

750ml. bottle dry Riesling
1 1/2 cups white cranberry-peach drink
1/2 cup peach nectar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons simple syrup -- equal parts sugar and water heated till sugar melts
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 lemons, cut in 1/2 -inch slices
2 oranges, cut in 1/2 -inch slices
2 ripe white peaches, cut into wedges
10 fresh raspberries
Club soda, if desired
Fresh mint sprigs, if desired

Paraphrased procedure: Combine all ingredients and chill, best if chilled for 2-3 days to allow flavors to marry. Serve in pretty glass over ice with an optional float of club soda and sprig of mint. Can make pretty ice cubes by freezing raspberry or other small berry in each cube.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Not a joke and not for "bad" white wine but here's a white wine sangria that I love to make:

750ml. bottle dry Riesling
1 1/2 cups white cranberry-peach drink
1/2 cup peach nectar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons simple syrup -- equal parts sugar and water heated till sugar melts
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 lemons, cut in 1/2 -inch slices
2 oranges, cut in 1/2 -inch slices
2 ripe white peaches, cut into wedges
10 fresh raspberries
Club soda, if desired
Fresh mint sprigs, if desired

Paraphrased procedure: Combine all ingredients and chill, best if chilled for 2-3 days to allow flavors to marry. Serve in pretty glass over ice with an optional float of club soda and sprig of mint. Can make pretty ice cubes by freezing raspberry or other small berry in each cube.

You have a lot to learn about Sangria - perhaps firstly, not a libation made with Riesling (dry or otherwise). Added simple syrup? What are you thinking? Call it "fruit punch" but please don't insult Sangria.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You have a lot to learn about Sangria - perhaps firstly, not a libation made with Riesling (dry or otherwise). Added simple syrup? What are you thinking? Call it "fruit punch" but please don't insult Sangria.

In YOUR never humble opinion. It has changed and expanded over time.

https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/sangria

The most knowledgeable food and wine person I've ever known shared that recipe which came from the LA Times over ten years ago. You really should try to keep up, darlin' 🙂

• Like 1

Being totally ignorant of anything to do with wine or sangria I was surprised to hear that it could be made from white wine.

To me it was always red as it is named after blood in Spanish.

What should the white sangria be called - vodkia? (after water in Russian) 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

In YOUR never humble opinion. It has changed and expanded over time.

https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/sangria

The most knowledgeable food and wine person I've ever known shared that recipe which came from the LA Times over ten years ago. You really should try to keep up, darlin' 🙂

Slice it or dice it anyway you want but, it's fruit punch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Glad that you have that self-awareness. 👀

I'm a universally known as an info-junkie, persuaded by facts and facts alone.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Did you book your next Oceania cruise while onboard your first one?

No. Why do you ask?

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There's a vast difference between "data driven" and "data informed."

I used neither term.

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Why do I ask about booking? Why not?

Well, not exactly about wine but whatever. No.

28 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Being totally ignorant of anything to do with wine or sangria I was surprised to hear that it could be made from white wine.

To me it was always red as it is named after blood in Spanish.

What should the white sangria be called - vodkia? (after water in Russian) 😀

We were having a multi-generation family gathering at the Tahoe house some years ago and I read about this. It tasted great and is just gorgeous.

sangria 2.JPG

sangria 1.JPG

20 minutes ago, clo said:

We were having a multi-generation family gathering at the Tahoe house some years ago and I read about this. It tasted great and is just gorgeous.

sangria 2.JPG

sangria 1.JPG

Somehow you missed Paulchili's appropriate point: That's not Sangria. Kind of reminds me of that oxymoron - "chocolate martini."

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Somehow you missed Paulchili's appropriate point: That's not Sangria. Kind of reminds me of that oxymoron - "chocolate martini."

I miss little. Please just go away. I gave info. You gave opinions. GO AWAY.

2 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I will be getting my first bottle of complimentary wine on my next cruise.  Is that bottle only for cabin comsumption or corkage is not required?

No corkage fee.  Take the wine to any venue you want.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Last cruise  I did this   a Lynch Bages and a L'Evangile  from my little stash.... they stored it and at dinner decanted it as parker suggested  3 hours prior  to my arrival.    ( good service from the somillier .  naturally , as good manners dictates I always offer him/her a glass)     Only trouble with bringing really good wine is that a long air ride requires the wine to rest almost a week... Or so my informants tell me.