Bliss 1/5/2020 sailing from NYC

PistolPete13

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

You're very welcome!  

It's not quite over yet, I still have a lot of interior ship photos and the Verrazzano bridge crossing at night to process and post.

What time should I head up to deck 20 for sail away to get pictures 

btw I saw your New York photos in your file and they were AMAZING!!!!

48 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

What time should I head up to deck 20 for sail away to get pictures 

btw I saw your New York photos in your file and they were AMAZING!!!!

Thank you!

Scheduled departure time is normally 3PM but I've noticed it being closer to 3:30-4PM as the norm recently.  You'll feel the ship moving definitely.  Head upstairs at that point and it should be a non-stop show until you pass under the Verrazzano Bridge.

Be sure to dress warmly because it will be windy out on the top decks!

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

... very impressed seeing the MSC Divina up close in Costa Maya so I looked to see if they had any sailings from NYC.  It looks like they have several 10-day fall trips up to Canada for very reasonable pricing (~$120 a day for example)

As a cruise rookie, what am I missing there? What's the catch?  Maybe they're trying to break into the US market?

LOL, you'll become an expert in cruising quicker/faster than you realized, especially when lurking here & learning the ropes.  Quite a few NCL "vets" switched/also cruised lately MSC - they are considered new to the USA and only started doing very limited runs out of NY last year.  The same BIL doing the Bliss sailed the MSC Meraviglia inaugural NE/Canada run last Fall, they like the ship - itself a destination & is very different vs. NCL.  Arzeena & RJ gave MSC a try too but ... For a while, the status match program from MSC to attract others were very generous & you only need to sail them once every 3 years to maintain the tier.  We haven't sailed and perhaps, we should've submitted our match before - but for being P+ on NCL, they will still match us + 5% discount on fares. 

MSC is doing C/NE again this Fall and I was pricing out their 10 or 11 nighters out of NY for September - Inside stateroom (it's bigger in size) w. port taxes/fees included can be booked for around $1,600 - choice of cabin; plus DSC.  They don't have solo cabin but this is very competitive and good.  NCL's Pearl & Breakaway sailing from NY for 7 nights (1 or 2 five nighters) simply, cannot, compete against MSC on prices alone.  Go check out the posts & feedback/reviews on MSC forum here and do a mock booking ... apples vs. oranges, perhaps/or not.  While food is subjective, I'm told that "their" pizza did put NCL's to shame ... well, actually - our local pizza joints easily do that against NCL. 

• Like 1

Will be on the Bliss in April from NYC to SEA....and that pool deck picture makes me very happy that I've got my Spa pass already and can hang out there to get my water fix, and who doesn't love those warm rock loungers!!  I'll be channeling my inner lizard for sure. 

Day 13

1/17/2020

At sea.

Got up at 0300 to get some photos of the ship interior without hoards of people around.  How wrong I was!  The ship's overnight cleaning crew was hard at work wiping down all the surfaces and cleaning the carpets.  They also had to put up with roving groups of folks who've had a bit too much to drink.  

One such group stopped me thinking I was one of the ship photographers and insisted I take their photos.  I had a good time watching to them trying to slur their room numbers back to me.

I was in the gym around 5PM when I saw the most unusual sunbeams punching through a few holes in the clouds on the horizon.  Ran back down to my room to get my cameras and ran back out to deck 8.  That was the worst things about my interior cabin, 12677.  I had to make U-Turn to get to the elevator banks.  There is no direct path unless in a emergency through the crew corridor.

I'm slowly understanding the strategy of picking a room that will ease my access of getting in and out.  Of course a balcony would be ideal, one can dream...

IMG_4221.jpg

800_1525.jpg

ZE6_0424.jpg

ZE6_0386.jpg

ZE6_0341.jpg

ZE6_0336.jpg

ZE6_0334.jpg

ZE6_0324.jpg

ZE6_0320.jpg

ZE6_0316.jpg

ZE6_0311.jpg

ZE6_0307.jpg

ZE6_0301.jpg

ZE6_0298.jpg

ZE6_0294.jpg

ZE6_0290.jpg

ZE6_0285.jpg

ZE6_0283.jpg

ZE6_0279.jpg

ZE6_0276.jpg

ZE6_0271.jpg

ZE6_0267.jpg

ZE6_0261.jpg

ZE6_0258.jpg

ZE6_0254.jpg

ZE6_0250.jpg

ZE6_0248.jpg

ZE6_0242.jpg

ZE6_0236.jpg

ZE6_0234.jpg

ZE6_0230.jpg

ZE6_0220.jpg

ZE6_0218.jpg

ZE6_0213.jpg

ZE6_0212.jpg

ZE6_0209.jpg

ZE6_0206.jpg

ZE6_0205.jpg

ZE6_0196.jpg

ZE6_0192.jpg

ZE6_0188.jpg

ZE6_0184.jpg

ZE6_0181.jpg

ZE6_0178.jpg

ZE6_0175.jpg

ZE6_0173.jpg

ZE6_0167.jpg

ZE6_0165.jpg

ZE6_0160.jpg

800_1497.jpg

ZE6_0376.jpg

ZE6_0369.jpg

ZE6_0364.jpg

ZE6_0354.jpg

ZE6_0348.jpg

ZE6_0345.jpg

ZE6_0155.jpg

ZE6_0152.jpg

ZE6_0147.jpg

ZE6_0144.jpg

ZE6_0142.jpg

ZE6_0131.jpg

ZE6_0129.jpg

ZE6_0127.jpg

ZE6_0123.jpg

ZE6_0119.jpg

ZE6_0118.jpg

ZE6_0116.jpg

ZE6_0113.jpg

ZE6_0111.jpg

ZE6_0109.jpg

ZE6_0107.jpg

ZE6_0103.jpg

ZE6_0099.jpg

ZE6_0098.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 15

1/19/2020

Arriving back in NYC.

Anyone still following this thread?   Thanks for sticking with this all the way to the end.

And the grand finale, arriving back in NYC.  We crossed under the bridge precisely at 5:07 AM thanks to the GPS time stamp on the photos.

I was not the only person up on deck 20 trying to get this, there were three more nuts besides me.  The winds were howling and air temps were in the 20's.  A few quick snaps of the bridge and I went back indoors.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to get decent shots of the night skyline from a moving ship so I didn't bother.

IMG_4256.jpg

ZE6_0510.jpg

ZE6_0505.jpg

ZE6_0502.jpg

ZE6_0501.jpg

ZE6_0498.jpg

ZE6_0496.jpg

ZE6_0489.jpg

ZE6_0487.jpg

ZE6_0485.jpg

ZE6_0482.jpg

ZE6_0479.jpg

ZE6_0469.jpg

ZE6_0454.jpg

ZE6_0435.jpg

ZE6_0441.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thank you!

Scheduled departure time is normally 3PM but I've noticed it being closer to 3:30-4PM as the norm recently.  You'll feel the ship moving definitely.  Head upstairs at that point and it should be a non-stop show until you pass under the Verrazzano Bridge.

Be sure to dress warmly because it will be windy out on the top decks!

Thanks for the tip. I have been debating wearing my winter coat vs. a London Fog spring-type coat; I think the winter coat wins!

29 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Thanks for the tip. I have been debating wearing my winter coat vs. a London Fog spring-type coat; I think the winter coat wins!

Good call.  It’ll take about 45 minutes or so from the pier to the bridge.  That’s a long time to be outside with the wind if not wearing the right coat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Whoa, seeing the Atrium bar closed down is weird! What time was that? It was always open before I woke up in the morning and after I went to sleep at night!

I took those photos between 3:30AM and 4:30AM.  The only place still open was The Local and it was loud in there!

10 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

😭😖😰🙄

#cough #cough - shall I say, let's keep that between us.  @Dexddd is sailing them soon, let's hear/read about his upcoming feedback & review. 

You must still be following Bob's Almost Live From NY thread - we are getting tired of coming back under the VZB to disembark, definitely putting that on the bucket list ahead ... since we can just pack & go.  Although, I think - strictly, IMHO only, of course - the days of bargain last minute deals are much harder to come by.  It was tempting to tap the buttons & book one of the Jade's Asian itineraries next month, dirt cheap to book an Oceanview - inexpensive airfares with non-stop and 1-stop connection, but ... oh, well. 

For Pete's purposes, correcting - MSC Mera is SOLD OUT on their studio cabins for solo  (it looked nice) on 9/22/2020's 10 nights C/NE cruises - Inside, pricing for 1, taxes & fees, with the Fantasica option - just $1,262 plus DSC.  There is no way for NCL to price match even on the 7 days C/NE sailings, no matter what/how & the best "sales" offer.  He would be up all day & night, and evenings - walking around with his camera & video gears ...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

#cough #cough - shall I say, let's keep that between us.  @Dexddd is sailing them soon, let's hear/read about his upcoming feedback & review. 

You must still be following Bob's Almost Live From NY thread - we are getting tired of coming back under the VZB to disembark, definitely putting that on the bucket list ahead ... since we can just pack & go.  Although, I think - strictly, IMHO only, of course - the days of bargain last minute deals are much harder to come by.  It was tempting to tap the buttons & book one of the Jade's Asian itineraries next month, dirt cheap to book an Oceanview - inexpensive airfares with non-stop and 1-stop connection, but ... oh, well. 

For Pete's purposes, correcting - MSC Mera is SOLD OUT on their studio cabins for solo  (it looked nice) on 9/22/2020's 10 nights C/NE cruises - Inside, pricing for 1, taxes & fees, with the Fantasica option - just $1,262 plus DSC.  There is no way for NCL to price match even on the 7 days C/NE sailings, no matter what/how & the best "sales" offer.  He would be up all day & night, and evenings - walking around with his camera & video gears ...

Dex had good experiences. Maybe due to YC or maybe just subjective.

As For Pete's sake😉😁....Pete has to try it out himself and form his own opinion.

MSC price is VERY hard to beat, as RJ says. He is willing to go again, but not in the very near future.
I am quite sorry that Bob got off and busted my daily entertainment, but hopefully someone else will continue that thread for the return journey.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shidah said:

There is a picture of Spice H20 with a bunch of Bud Lite towels.  Were those some sort of complimentary gift promoting the super bowl?

At first I thought it was chair hogs but realized later it was a promotion during our cruise. 

Not sure if you got to keep the towel however. I didn’t wander back there again. 

On 1/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, Arzeena said:

Pete,

The Roatan pictures: where is that beach with the island? it looks great!
We went to Tabyana Beach and then moved over to Infinity Bay.

Wildlife spotted this cruise:

Pod of small dolphins on the morning of Cape Canaveral.
Turtle from pier in Harvest Key close to the mangroves.

Big Barry.... the pet Barracuda from pier in Costa Maya. This guy is always around the same spot with a mate. Alone this time.

Service at Los Lobos was painfully slow the night we went. It wasn't that busy. Perhaps just an "off" night.

Chocolate mousse cake in Ocean Blu was to die for!

Mason Jar Banana Pudding at Q was yummm, although I was not that impressed with the food. I enjoyed the experience though.
Le Bistro food was good but the experience was meh since one of the stupid people in our dinner group got up to complain to the head waiter that our waiter did not bring her the mint jelly that was supposed to be eaten with her lamb, almost at the end of the main course!!!!!!🙄....so everyone had to wait for the princess's mint jelly to arrive and then for her to take her sweet time finishing the meal before they gave us dessert menus.🙄 By this time I was ready to throw my glass of water at her!!!! There! you would have had another story !!!! My patience was tested in this way by the same person at many a meal in the Manhattan Room as well. The staff and waiters were so cooperative that it was just wrong to get up and go to the head waiters to complain about the chewy potsticker or the brand of free wine bottles they got every other day!!! What else could I  do but go out and sit on deck peacefully to watch the sunset!😉

Leave this person home next cruise!

On 1/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, kmb4567 said:

Just a quick question.  Is there a recommended place to get a lounge chair in the shade on sea days?  

Plenty of shady spots on deck 16, the pool level.  There is also a small 10-12 chair nook on deck 18 on the port forward section I think.  It's right next to the stairs and that section had a cover to shield the sun.