Priest on Board

Sorry if this have been posted, haven’t read through the posts. Going on the Grandeur for 12 days out of Baltimore on 1/11/20. We were wondering if there will be a Roman Catholic Priest on board. Anyone know?? 

Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.

33 minutes ago, Sea and Me said:

Sorry if this have been posted, haven’t read through the posts. Going on the Grandeur for 12 days out of Baltimore on 1/11/20. We were wondering if there will be a Roman Catholic Priest on board. Anyone know?? 

Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.

only for High Holy days./. MAYBE

and even then its a generic non denominational service.  

On RCCL We have always had priests during Easter break, and at other random times - but last year in May we had a priest for a 12 day sailing on Adventure.  It is hit or miss.  We always look at our sailings to see if we will be in port on Sundays and taxi to a catholic service.  We did a "non-denomination service" once when we were at sea without a priest - turned out to be a video of Joel Osteen and basically a commercial for his ministries! Good Luck!

We were on the Celebrity Infinity last month that had a stop in Nassau on Sunday.  St. Francis has services at 8:30 and 11.  We were too late for the 8:30, but stayed for the 11 and what a welcoming experience!  You could tell who the six people from a cruise were. The music and liturgy was fantastic.  I can't wait to plan another Sunday excursion to a island church. 

1 hour ago, Xport said:

Best I know, Holland America is the only cruise line that allegedly--I have no first-hand experience--has a priest aboard on every sailing...

While there is usually a priest on Holland America sailings, it is not the cruise line that provides the priest.

The priests are supplied by an independent organization  that also pays the fare.

I don't remember the organization. It has been mentioned on the HAL forum by some of the posters that  tout giving donations to the group. 

4 hours ago, Sea and Me said:

We were wondering if there will be a Roman Catholic Priest on board. Anyone know?? 

As others have mentioned, chances are that there won’t be one, but I do recommend that you look at your itinerary to see if there will be a church with mass services at one of your ports of call. I have used the Mass Times app several times, and it does have listings at international destinations although I don’t know if it will show every place that you’ll be visiting.

To follow up on the comment about all Holland America ships having a priest,  this is done not so much for the passengers, but for HAL crew members who are overwhelmingly Filipino and Catholic. But they do offer mass services for passengers multiple times a day, and based on what we saw, they are heavily attended.

• Clarea locked this topic