Questions on Ho Ho trolley in Boston Mass.

pattyj 1204

We are going to be staying in Boston 3 days before our cruise on Sept. 11,2020. Has anyone used the Hop on Hop off trolley? I tried to find what sites they stop at, but couldn't locate any specific sites, at least not 18 that they said were on the 1.5 hour tour loop. Our hotel is out of the tourist area so we will be using a taxi or uber  to get to the route. We were thinking of getting the 3 day pass. Has anyone done this? Thanks for the answers in advance.  Pat

We are scheduled to stay at the Ramada by Wyndom on Morrisy Rd. I don't think it is near any of the tourist sites. We did plan on buying the 3 day pass for the Trolley before leaving home. I'm not sure what restaurants are near the hotel, but we'll keep looking. Most of the other hotels were booked up near the tourist sites. Do you have any other suggestions for us? 

We want to see the JFK library/museum, Most of the sites listed on the Trolley stop schedule.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, pattyj 1204 said:

We are scheduled to stay at the Ramada by Wyndom on Morrisy Rd. I don't think it is near any of the tourist sites. We did plan on buying the 3 day pass for the Trolley before leaving home. I'm not sure what restaurants are near the hotel, but we'll keep looking. Most of the other hotels were booked up near the tourist sites. Do you have any other suggestions for us? 

We want to see the JFK library/museum, Most of the sites listed on the Trolley stop schedule.  Thanks again.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/800-Morrissey-Blvd-Dorchester-MA-02122-USA/John-F-Kennedy-Presidential-Library-and-Museum

Uber or taxi, there are no bus routes in this area. Keep looking for hotels closer to Boston, Morrissey Blvd, isn't an area known for restaurants or out and about walking. What you'll spend on taxi/Uber to get into Boston, it might be cheaper to up your hotel budget and find a place closer to the tourist sites and not need transportation.......sitting in Boston's traffic isn't much fun. Look at Cambridge, plus lots of new hotels popping up near the seaport.

Darcy

We realize that we will need to uber or taxi--Never did uber before. You are right about sitting for long periods in traffic. I imagine that the morning commute is awful. I'll bring that up to Gordy. He said that he tried quite a few hotels nearer the historic district. and they didn't have any openings for our time frame. Thanks for the Answers Darcy. We still might have time to change them. 

Pat

I actually stayed at that hotel years ago (was a college student doing a summer job that was scheduled in that area during the All Star Game). Wasn't terrible. When we told the people we were visiting where we were staying, they pulled out the yellow pages to try to find something else. It wasn't a Ramada at that point.

There really isn't anything in that area. 

IMO, that location and being a two star [exaggeration] hotel, would make me look elsewhere. When I sit in outbound traffic on 93,  I wonder if guests at that hotel can sleep with trucks and cars so close to it. You said other hotels are all booked, so time to look at other options. I seem to recall another hotel further on Morrissey, adjacent to the State Police building [safer?].  At least that would be across the street from the Columbia MBTA station, but nothing for restaurants. However, the beach is nearby and a great place to walk along Day Blvd. Now to be really creative....

Are you arriving by air? If so, I'm tossing out a few options. Take Logan Express to Braintree. It's $10-$11. pp. The coach takes you to Forbes Drive and there is a Hyatt Place and another new hotel on this road. Contact them to find out about complimentary shuttles to the closest transit site, [probably Quincy/Adams] and take the red line into Boston. Lots of restaurants and huge shopping mall nearby.  On the morning of your cruise, Uber  to the port. Another options would be to take the Silver line from the airport to South Station, and commuter rail to Westwood [Canton Junction/Rt 128 station]. This is an emerging retail/residential area,  with a Marriott Hotel within a block of the station - ample stores and a few restaurants, too. Love Wegmans for quick meal! Yes, both suggestions are outside of Boston proper, but might offer safer and nicer place to stay for 3 nights. Plus, they might have rooms to reserve and you won't be paying premium Boston prices.

Boston is a very easy walking city. I would HoHo one day and then based on interests, do a walking tour, Red line to Cambridge to meander Harvard, [great museums on campus], maybe Duck Tour starting at the Museum of Science, Freedom Trail - Union Oyster House and cross to the North End for Italian dessert. 

I'm sure 138 East can offer suggests closer to the western 'burbs. 

Darcy

See is you can get a Where Boston Traveler Map of Boston [many Boston Hotels have it - possible download ? or call the # on the map 800-680-4035]. It's a great resource, MBTA subway map, detailed tourist map,  walking routes, too.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, d9704011 said:

Have a great time.  Good thing you’re planning on using the HOHO before your cruise... when ships are in port it’s nearly impossible to get on/off the trolleys due to the crowds.

I was hoping to do the HOHO while in port, would you suggest pre-purchasing tickets? or wait to see how busy it is.

Is there a booth to purchase near the dock? 

1 hour ago, AngVan said:

I was hoping to do the HOHO while in port, would you suggest pre-purchasing tickets? or wait to see how busy it is.

Is there a booth to purchase near the dock? 

We did the tour ‘on our own’.  Pre-purchased tickets on the Old Town Trolley website and took the first trolley leaving the pier (stop 17A on the tour map.... see post #2).  We had no problem getting away early but I have to tell you, getting off and then back on became tough as the day went by due to the crowding.  You ought to keep an alternate strategy in mind to ge back to the ship on time ie.  taxi.

I suggest you consider the ship’s offering if the price is in the same neighbourhood.  As I recall, it wasn’t nearly as crowded and did exactly the same route.

Edited by d9704011
More info

Consider prepurchasing on Hotwire.  Start monitoring prices now to see what pops up.  How much are you willing to pay per night?

If you’re going to spend time at the JFK museum, an extra day of the HOHO could be a waste.  You could Uber to see the museum, take their shuttle bus back to the Red Line, ride out to Harvard Square, ride back to the Redline station nearest the Ramada, and Uber to the Ramada.  The Hoho will not take you to either of these two destinations.

Quite frankly you might do better buying 7 day MBTA pass for $22.50/pp and Uber to and from the nearest Red Line Station. This pass gives you full access to the bus and subway as well as the Charlestown ferry to the Constitution.  Walk the Freedom trail for old Boston and use the MBTA pass to go to Back Bay and Cambridge.  Even though the trains might be crowded, it’s better than wasting time stuck in traffic.

For the Western Suburbs Lexington is accessible by the Red Line to Alewife and bus to Lexington.  Concord is accessible by commuter rail from North Station.

• Like 1

My husband is considering another hotel in a "safer" area. We are not big city folks and don't want to run into any trouble on our trip. What about the yotel hotel? I thought I remembered reading something about it, but for the life of me I can't find it again. If it was in a book instead of the net, I'm sure I could track down where I saw it. I've checked and it is on the Trolley line. 

Speaking of books, I should probably check out our library or the local Barnes and Noble. 

The Yotel is in the Seaport district which is much better located for touring/food/walking/etc.  than the Ramada on Morrissey Blvd.  You will be near the SilverLine (bus) Courthouse stop and also South Station (Red Line and SilverLine) and lots of restaurants (my favorite is the Barking Crab in the Seaport district). You'll also be near a FAB bakery called Flour and you will be near the city and the port.  I've never stayed there (I live in the Boston 'burbs) but  I can tell you the neighborhood is safe and convenient. 

The public transportation system is called the MBTA (aka "the T") their website at www.mbta.com has a Trip Planner which is very very good. Look at the baseball schedule.  If the Sox are out of town you can take a tour of Fenway Park instead which is lots of fun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pattyj 1204 said:

My husband is considering another hotel in a "safer" area. We are not big city folks and don't want to run into any trouble on our trip. What about the yotel hotel? I thought I remembered reading something about it, but for the life of me I can't find it again. If it was in a book instead of the net, I'm sure I could track down where I saw it. I've checked and it is on the Trolley line. 

Speaking of books, I should probably check out our library or the local Barnes and Noble. 

If you’re willing to prepay, the Yotel Hotel is $881.37 for three nights.  It’s in the Seaport District, which is a safe area.  It is also right at the Courthouse Silver Line Station, which means you can easily take the free Silver Line from the airport.  The Silver Line SL1 bus has one low step to board plus luggage racks.  Best to board at the rearmost door with luggage.

Edited by 138east

Yotel is fine, good neighborhood, rooms are small, but you won't be there much.  Right on the MBTA Silver Line.

Correction to a prior post, Fenway tours are offered when the team is home as well as on the road, but they stop a few hours before game time, so if there is a game that night, you'd want to get there in the late AM or very early afternoon at least

I can't thank all of you enough for all the information you have given us. It is hard to be a tourist and try to go on your own. We liked the idea of the HOHO trolley as it does give an idea of what might be of interest to us with the narration. We did one on our cruise to Aukland NZ and it was great, even with the jet lag. 

We just booked reservations at the Yotel. Decided that we could budget somewhere else. Thanks to all for the great ideas and warnings. Sometimes cheaper isn't better. It looks like we might be taking the SL1 bus using the rear door on the bus--Never did that with luggage before. DH says it shouldn't be a problem, we'll see. Might have to be more careful with what I'm packing. Keep it light and small. We'll have to see what happens when we arrive in Boston. 

1 hour ago, pattyj 1204 said:

We just booked reservations at the Yotel. Decided that we could budget somewhere else. Thanks to all for the great ideas and warnings. Sometimes cheaper isn't better. It looks like we might be taking the SL1 bus using the rear door on the bus--Never did that with luggage before. DH says it shouldn't be a problem, we'll see. Might have to be more careful with what I'm packing. Keep it light and small. We'll have to see what happens when we arrive in Boston. 

Do you know which airline you will be flying?  The Silver Line picks up on the arrivals level at each terminal.  Cabs pick up at the terminals, but Uber/Lyft has been moved to a Central Parking area that requires a bit of walking plus Elevators/escalators.  The Courthouse Station is relatively new for Boston and was built with accessibility in mind. 

IMO the rear door access to the Silver Line bus has better luggage storage. Many passengers gravitate towards the front or middle doors.

We will be flying Delta from Chicago, not my favorite departure airport, but whatever, we will be on vacation and looking forward to visiting Boston. So glad to know that the SL is so convenient. Still have lots of time left before we Have to have our logistics figured out. By all my postings you'd think this was my first cruise instead of the 8 or so we've been on. Sorry for all my questions. 

19 minutes ago, pattyj 1204 said:

We will be flying Delta from Chicago, not my favorite departure airport, but whatever, we will be on vacation and looking forward to visiting Boston. So glad to know that the SL is so convenient. Still have lots of time left before we Have to have our logistics figured out. By all my postings you'd think this was my first cruise instead of the 8 or so we've been on. Sorry for all my questions. 

We’re here to answer questions.  Delta uses terminal A. The last time I used the Silver Line at that terminal the stop was forward on the arrivals level.