Using trip insurance for first time

blueridgemama

Looking for advise on using trip insurance before I actually cancel my cruise.

I fractured a bone in my foot on Monday and started using a splint boot on Wednesday. 

The orthopedic doc is recommending 6 weeks in the boot which takes me to the 20th of February.

I leave for my cruise on the 21st with the actual cruise on Sunday the 23rd.

My cruise is on the Oasis of the Seas so there will obviously be a lot of walking involved besides the excursions I have planned.

Since I won't know how well I will be walking after the boot comes off I am thinking it would be best to cancel this cruise and reschedule at a later date when I can more fully enjoy the ship and the cruise.

Is this is a scenario where I can cancel the cruise for health related issues and utilize the trip insurance?

The orthopedic doc said he would be willing to fill in the forms needed for the insurance claim.

I don't get to cruise frequently so really want to fully enjoy the cruise.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

You would want to be sure that your insurance covers you before you cancel.  It depends on what insurance you have and the specific coverages.  You are most likely covered based on what you stated in your post but I would be absolutely sure.

Another thing to think about is that cruise prices get higher as you get closer to sail date so you may need to book a year from now to get the same or similar cruise for the price you paid for this one.  Depends on what you paid.

You'll have to ask either the insurance directly or the broker who you purchased the policy with.

My inclinations is that No, it will not be a covered reason. You have a walking boot. Therefore it becomes a he said, she said. The insurance company is going to go thru your medical history to include all of your doctors notes and physical therapy notes. Does it say ANYWHERE that you are being ordered to stay off your feet and therefore must not travel?

Your better option is to find one of those roll around thingys that you can use to help stay off that foot 

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

You'll have to ask either the insurance directly or the broker who you purchased the policy with.

My inclinations is that No, it will not be a covered reason. You have a walking boot. Therefore it becomes a he said, she said. The insurance company is going to go thru your medical history to include all of your doctors notes and physical therapy notes. Does it say ANYWHERE that you are being ordered to stay off your feet and therefore must not travel?

Your better option is to find one of those roll around thingys that you can use to help stay off that foot 

I think it would require the physician to actually say that the patient is not fit for travel.

OP, you could always order a scooter to be available on board to help you get around the ship. You can wait to order it until just before the cruise to make sure (but I'd suggest finding out now what sort of lead time is involved with the rental).

My personal experience, not with cancelation, but with a cruise shortly after the boot came off. 

I fell and broke my foot Labor Day.  Boot, no weight bearing, for a total of 13 weeks.  The boot came off and I was allowed to walk on it again less than a week before the embarcation.  I was not sure that would happen and initially thought I would cruise with the boot on.

I made a few adjustments with walking around and to the excursions we did but it was fine.  Lots of places to rest onboard and prop up my foot.  A nice change of pace to dealing with every day life and work with the boot and crutches for months.

So, my opinion, take the trip and enjoy.  (Everyone's personal experiences may be different.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Looking for advise on using trip insurance before I actually cancel my cruise.

I fractured a bone in my foot on Monday and started using a splint boot on Wednesday. 

The orthopedic doc is recommending 6 weeks in the boot which takes me to the 20th of February.

I leave for my cruise on the 21st with the actual cruise on Sunday the 23rd.

My cruise is on the Oasis of the Seas so there will obviously be a lot of walking involved besides the excursions I have planned.

Since I won't know how well I will be walking after the boot comes off I am thinking it would be best to cancel this cruise and reschedule at a later date when I can more fully enjoy the ship and the cruise.

Is this is a scenario where I can cancel the cruise for health related issues and utilize the trip insurance?

The orthopedic doc said he would be willing to fill in the forms needed for the insurance claim.

I don't get to cruise frequently so really want to fully enjoy the cruise.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

I fractured a wrist weeks before a cruise and decided to cruise anyway.Huge mistake.

Health should always come before pleasure.My doctor would have given me a letter stating he urged me not to cruise.

Another vote for a knee scooter.

My primary care doctor, boss, and ex all had foot/ankle surgery recently.  All of them used and found a knee scooter very helpful.

You can buy them off Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, SRF said:

Another vote for a knee scooter.

My primary care doctor, boss, and ex all had foot/ankle surgery recently.  All of them used and found a knee scooter very helpful.

You can buy them off Amazon.

Please be careful with those knee scooters.  Had a close friend use one with his boot for couple of weeks, due to the point of bending the knee so much while using he developed blood clots in leg which then traveled to his lungs.  This is a very serious condition, Dr. advised no more knee scooter and crutches instead to allow good blood flow to his leg.