Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

20 minutes ago, Cash123 said:

For a start be honest with their paying guests, if this problem has been known about since early January and if they know the problem will not be sorted out until the next dry dock then the least they can do is inform all future passengers about this problem and the changes to itinerates including missed ports and timing changes.

We have some excursions booked for our cruise next week, some direct with Princess which Im not worried about as im sure they will make adjustments but also have a private tour booked in Barbados and would like to do something in Antigua but as we havnt heard anything from Princess yet im a little worried about sending people deposits without knowing if our time on the island will be cut short. 

I don't think that's to much to ask.

Yes, if you know what you know from a technical aspect why not share it and set reasonable expectations?  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Thank you for your always rational posts.

What are 'technical' electrical loads?

Thanks.

Technical load is the load needed to keep the ship generating electricity.  For example, the pumps (sea and fresh water cooling pumps, fuel pumps, lube oil pumps, transfer pumps) for the various engines, boilers and auxiliary equipment, along with all of that auxiliary equipment (boilers, fuel and oil purifiers, waste water treatment plant, vacuum toilet system, water makers, steering gear, navigation and communication equipment, automation systems, etc, etc).  Basically everything that is not propulsion, thrusters, AC, or hotel (galley, laundry, dining, bars, entertainment, lighting).

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, paul929207 said:

We are currently on the Crown.  We skipped Princess Cays and had some minor schedule  changes. Got $75 pp refundable OBC for disruptions

It sounds like the generator issues are still on-going, during the current 2/25 sailing. While the Caribbean islands are close by and have minor impacts on the itineraries, the same can not be said for the transatlantic sailing on 3/26. A short time ago, the Crown captain had said he would not take this ship across the Atlantic without the generators fixed. I wonder if you could get the captain to update his position on this issue. Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, PatFromGrove said:

It sounds like the generator issues are still on-going, during the current 2/25 sailing. While the Caribbean islands are close by and have minor impacts on the itineraries, the same can not be said for the transatlantic sailing on 3/26. A short time ago, the Crown captain had said he would not take this ship across the Atlantic without the generators fixed. I wonder if you could get the captain to update his position on this issue. Thank you in advance.

We are booked on the 3/26 cruise and have been worried about this since the primary reason we had picked was for the ports of call, not for endless sea days with abbreviated or missed stops...  You say that the captain said he would not take the ship across the Atlantic without the generators being fixed.  If you don’t mind me asking, where exactly did you hear or read this?

thanks

4 minutes ago, MAKZ06 said:

We are booked on the 3/26 cruise and have been worried about this since the primary reason we had picked was for the ports of call, not for endless sea days with abbreviated or missed stops...  You say that the captain said he would not take the ship across the Atlantic without the generators being fixed.  If you don’t mind me asking, where exactly did you hear or read this?

thanks

Between the propulsion issue and now a level 3 travel advisory to not go to Italy I am so very glad I cancelled. Think about getting back into the US after this cruise maybe quarantined for being in Italy not to mention ports may be closed and airlines may not fly. What a mess...............

Kathy.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Technical load is the load needed to keep the ship generating electricity.  For example, the pumps (sea and fresh water cooling pumps, fuel pumps, lube oil pumps, transfer pumps) for the various engines, boilers and auxiliary equipment, along with all of that auxiliary equipment (boilers, fuel and oil purifiers, waste water treatment plant, vacuum toilet system, water makers, steering gear, navigation and communication equipment, automation systems, etc, etc).  Basically everything that is not propulsion, thrusters, AC, or hotel (galley, laundry, dining, bars, entertainment, lighting).

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  If there were a way to give you points here ... like some other forums ... I would do so!

Edited by pablo222

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks for this information!

13 hours ago, MAKZ06 said:

thanks

I read a post from someone who was on the Crown in January, and went to an information session with the captain and staff (typically not too many passengers like to attend this type of talks, may be 100 out of 3000). He/she stated the captain made such comment. I have a hard time (spending hours) trying to find that post from thousands of posts I have read from various forums. I will let you know if I can pinpoint it.

Given that they have modified the itinerary of the Feb. 25 sailing, it indicates the problem is not fixed at this point. There is one more sailing, March 6, before the transatlantic. We will see if they have to modify that one too.

3 minutes ago, PatFromGrove said:

I read a post from someone who was on the Crown in January, and went to an information session with the captain and staff (typically not too many passengers like to attend this type of talks, may be 100 out of 3000). He/she stated the captain made such comment. I have a hard time (spending hours) trying to find that post from thousands of posts I have read from various forums. I will let you know if I can pinpoint it.

Given that they have modified the itinerary of the Feb. 25 sailing, it indicates the problem is not fixed at this point. There is one more sailing, March 6, before the transatlantic. We will see if they have to modify that one too.

And one more after that on March 16, 2020, 10 Day | Southern Caribbean Medley

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatFromGrove said:

Thank you for the response.  

5 hours ago, goneall said:

This was just posted on the TA roll call suggesting the generator problems have been fixed.  Any other news or updates from folks on the more recent cruise?

I really hope that's true about the generator but I wouldn't want to place a bet on it.

55 minutes ago, cyndyga said:

Just got A email from Princess and Princess Cay is going to be skipped because of the speed issues also adjusted other port times this is for the March 6 sailing

Thanks for the update.  I got the same update on the TA roll call - looks like they are having generator issues.  Darn.

8 hours ago, Cash123 said:

Same just got our email confirming the itinerary changes, it does make me wonder why some people pass on misleading information ?????

I think it was an innocent miss-interpretation of the situation based on no information, and perhaps a bit too much optimism.