orange party

esimon

3 minutes ago, lvz2cruz said:

oh my!! That's how I am about orange and some pinks.  They don't make my skin look right.   

I see you're in Nashville--we're on the Hendersonville/Gallatin border.

One time my sister and I were clothes shopping and she tried on an orange top.  I told her she looked like a traffic cone.  😁

Yes, I'm sitting here in Nashville with no electricity due to the storms and I have I hr. left on my laptop.  I don't meet many cruisers from TN, wearing orange or otherwise.

1 minute ago, Roz said:

One time my sister and I were clothes shopping and she tried on an orange top.  I told her she looked like a traffic cone.  😁

Yes, I'm sitting here in Nashville with no electricity due to the storms and I have I hr. left on my laptop.  I don't meet many cruisers from TN, wearing orange or otherwise.

We haven't lost power today but I have made sure our phones stay charged.

We moved here from Chattanooga a few months ago.  While on a HAL excursion to Dunns River Falls in Jamaica we met people from our ship who lived about 5 minutes from us.  Joked we would see each other at Publix on Monday.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Roz said:

Sorry to hear about your power going out--they predicted ice storm up here in the Detroit area, but we lucked out and didn't have any ice, just a bit of snow.

Re "orange", I was surprised that folks from TN, at least those who attended U of T, weren't wearing orange on HAL ships since it's one of the schools colors 😉   Personally, I also never wear orange-my least favorite color except on Halloween.

30 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Re "orange", I was surprised that folks from TN, at least those who attended U of T, weren't wearing orange on HAL ships since it's one of the schools colors 😉   Personally, I also never wear orange-my least favorite color except on Halloween.

I'm not originally from TN nor did I attend UT, so I don't have a dog in the orange fight.  UT's orange is a milky orange, reminds me of an Orange Julius.  I have seen every manner of orange clothing in TN, including men's boxers, so I'm surprised TN folks weren't wearing their orange.

Just off the Zaandam January 9. 2020.  Orange Party held in Crows Nest at 10:15PM after happy hour ended at 10:00PM.  Big turnout including officers and passengers.  Some snacks and dancing.  Left at 10:45PM but party was going full blast.  As usual HAL was trying to make a big bucks.  All throughout the 22 day cruise the shops had Orange Things for sale, most of which were extremely overpriced.  Scarf $20, Orange wrist band $10.  Wigs $20.  Tee Shirts $20.  We had nothing orange and were totally embarrassed and had to leave.  😁   😪

Edited by Billthekid
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billthekid said:

Just off the Zaandam January 9. 2020.  Orange Party held in Crows Nest at 10:15PM after happy hour ended at 10:00PM.  Big turnout including officers and passengers.  Some snacks and dancing.  Left at 10:45PM but party was going full blast.  As usual HAL was trying to make a big bucks.  All throughout the 22 day cruise the shops had Orange Things for sale, most of which were extremely overpriced.  Scarf $20, Orange wrist band $10.  Wigs $20.  Tee Shirts $20.  We had nothing orange and were totally embarrassed and had to leave.  😁   😪

I hope you are kidding about having to leave!

Wanted to correct myself re the House of Orange.  It's the House of Orange-Nassau.  And wanted to throw in another tidbit re the Dutch and the islands many of us visit:  Curacao and Aruba, primarily.  The line of queens before the current king were Wilhelmina, her daughter Juliana, and J's daughter Beatrix.   The current king is son of Beatrix.  Royal landmarks in Curacao:  Queen Anna bridge (the swing bridge, she was Wilhelmina's mother) and Queen Juliana bridge (the highway high over the canal and inland the Q A bridge).  On Aruba:  Queen Wilhelmina Park (go right on the street outside the pier and you'll come to it in about 2 blocks) and Queen Beatrix Airport.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, Aquahound said:

Nothing special on Eurodam.  It was held in the BB King lounge making an already crowded room almost unbearable.  To make matters worse, it was the final stop on a bar crawl, so the bartenders were busy lining the bar with some sort of orange cocktail for the crawlers.  It was nearly impossible to get a drink from the tiny bar in that venue.  

The orange cocktail is for purchase by Orange Party attendees. Might also have been for the bar crawl participants.

There was a guy selling t-shirts and other orange paraphernalia before the orange party on Koningsdam last week.  He didn't understand why I didn't want to buy a $12 t-shirt.

1 minute ago, MisterBill99 said:

The orange cocktail is for purchase by Orange Party attendees. Might also have been for the bar crawl participants.

We might be thinking of something different.  It was an orange drink with a green shot that fell like dominoes into the glasses.  At least on my cruise, they were prepared only for the crawlers.  They were not available to the non-crawlers.  I know because I was sitting at the bar when they made them.  No loss though based on the reactions of the crawlers.  Apparently they were disgusting.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

We might be thinking of something different.  It was an orange drink with a green shot that fell like dominoes into the glasses.  At least on my cruise, they were prepared only for the crawlers.  They were not available to the non-crawlers.  I know because I was sitting at the bar when they made them.  No loss though based on the reactions of the crawlers.  Apparently they were disgusting.  

Probably. They do have some orange beverage available to purchase at the party. The whole party is designed to sell stuff.

I hale from the heart of U.T. Vol country (Knoxville) and don't have one piece of orange clothing.  I'm a complete oddity on game days as everyone around town is donning the orange.  It's a "happy" color and I like it in general, but it makes me look like death warmed over.  My brother (a U.T. alumnus and vol fan) just looks at me and shakes his head 🙂 I went to a different university.

A few years back on a different cruise line we saw a family of 5 - parents and kids - decked out completely in orange on formal night.  I mean full suits for the guys and full dresses for the gals.  They just had to be from here, bless their hearts!

Back to the orange party, it's good to hear orange is not required and sounds like we won't be missing much if we skip it on our upcoming Koningsdam cruise (just our second cruise with HA and still learning the ropes).  

Just sailed on the Zuiderdam, and the Orange Party was no big deal at all.  I thought it was something that the whole ship would participate in, and all day would be "orange day," and it wasn't that at all.  There was a party in BB Kings, which was more crowded than usual, but not standing-room-only or anything.  They passed out snacks to everyone.  I'm not sure if the orange beverage offered was free or not.

I had read about it in advance, so I brought an orange-ish top, and made my husband bring his one shirt that had a little bit of an orange in the pattern.  I'm glad we didn't go out and buy something special, because I'd say only maybe half the attendees even wore orange.  The cruise director and his assistant both wore orange wigs, and those in attendance line danced, and it was kind of fun, but definitely not the big deal that I thought it would be. 

The Orange party/day I like is King’s day celebration on the ship.  That is a big deal and a whole different kettle of fish.

Looking forward to it again on the Zuiderdam.  Hopefully they do it as well as the Prinsendam did.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, esimon said:

I know they do this on all cruises.  What is it?   big deal??  what to expect?

I can see by the replies that the event varies by ship. I attended on the Rotterdam in November: ten pm, Crows Nest. Lots of orange decorations. It looked like all officers and entertainment staff attended and it opened with much merriment, though the passenger average age was high on this TA, SO HAPPILY they weren’t bouncy.

The event started with a (obviously) cheerful crowd pleasing oompah song which unfortunately was solely familiar to the two Dutch couples on board. Hence the rest of us watched sullenly from the sidelines, being puzzled.... although not a Dutch song, YMCA would have gotten the party started. It didn’t take long for us Nightowls to pitter away to the Library for a glass of milk. 🤪

My personal contribution was an orange scarf, having been alerted by this thread.

It could have been fun but for this American majority, it was just a case of Wrong DJ.

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam last April and the Orange Party fell on Kings Day which is a big deal in Holland.  Basically was in the BB King Venue, they some food they passed around, the band played, they had hats and wigs and other orange props you could wear if you didn't have your own.