Haven question

Lattinlady

No more or less than I would if I was in a non-Haven suite.

Consideration for if the Haven is a mini-Haven JEWEL class ship or the biggie -AWAY +

with a full service restaurant and bar.

Tipping is personal unless you want to make it a public forum point here on CC.

Know that certain categories of crew staff are compensated by the DSC and that the

Butler and Concierge are NOT part of it.

Timing of the TIP is fraught with all kinds of CC discussion:

To tip when first boarding contact ?

Salting the service of the staff for potential events ?

To tip at the time of the service event ?

Restaurant Bar SPA ?

To tip at disembarking - usual customary !

Oh the woe "To Tip or not to Tip" whether it is more noble to and not to and when !

There is no protocol average usual recommended tip unless you read on here at CC as to what others have done.

Ships sailing in different parts of the world and with guests from those parts tipping can be an altogether different experience.

Suggestion to be candid about tipping -

It is PERSONAL set your own limits !

Tipping the subject is not taboo it is fair game to ask as you have done but the tip amount is not set in stone or regulated. 

Remember the DSC and consider the fare you paid to cruise and your own budget.

Read on for more on tipping although there is no dedicated section - it usually comes up with other discussion

about other related services. CC has a lot to offer about cruise life and how to enjoy it !

34 minutes ago, Lattinlady said:

So there's no expected amount?

Expected? No.

Appreciated? Yes.

We don't know how much or how little you will use the butler/concierge. We don't know how satisfied you will be with the service. We don't know what tipping culture you are accustomed to and we don't know what amount you are comfortable tipping.

It's your choice. Don't let a bunch of anonymous forum members decide for you.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

No more or less than I would if I was in a non-Haven suite.

Consideration for if the Haven is a mini-Haven JEWEL class ship or the biggie -AWAY +

with a full service restaurant and bar.

Tipping is personal unless you want to make it a public forum point here on CC.

Know that certain categories of crew staff are compensated by the DSC and that the

Butler and Concierge are NOT part of it.

Timing of the TIP is fraught with all kinds of CC discussion:

To tip when first boarding contact ?

Salting the service of the staff for potential events ?

To tip at the time of the service event ?

Restaurant Bar SPA ?

To tip at disembarking - usual customary !

Oh the woe "To Tip or not to Tip" whether it is more noble to and not to and when !

There is no protocol average usual recommended tip unless you read on here at CC as to what others have done.

Ships sailing in different parts of the world and with guests from those parts tipping can be an altogether different experience.

Suggestion to be candid about tipping -

It is PERSONAL set your own limits !

Tipping the subject is not taboo it is fair game to ask as you have done but the tip amount is not set in stone or regulated. 

Remember the DSC and consider the fare you paid to cruise and your own budget.

Read on for more on tipping although there is no dedicated section - it usually comes up with other discussion

about other related services. CC has a lot to offer about cruise life and how to enjoy it !

Certainly appreciate your time and information.  🙂 Thanks

On 1/12/2020 at 1:52 AM, Lattinlady said:

How much do you tip in the Haven?

Your butler and concierge are not included in the Daily Service Charge and you are encouraged to tip them separately. 

When asked, here’s what we do (Since we take advantage of being in a suite) 

Butler $10-$15 per person In room per day

Concierge $5-$10 per person in room per day

Room Steward (who is part of DSC) an extra $5-$10 per person per day. 

NCL: Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Your butler and concierge are not included in the Daily Service Charge and you are encouraged to tip them separately. 

When asked, here’s what we do (Since we take advantage of being in a suite) 

Butler $10-$15 per person In room per day

Concierge $5-$10 per person in room per day

Room Steward (who is part of DSC) an extra $5-$10 per person per day. 

This is consistent with what my TA suggested but I am not sure this is worded accurately.  I have a 4 person family (twin 8 year olds). So to tip the butler, concierge and room steward $140 per day seems like a lot, no?  What do you think?  FYI, I would like to be a good tipper so if I am wrong, please let me know.

Tipping is personal and how happy you are with the service is part of it.  For the person with twin 8 year olds, I would not count them.  Consider you a family of two unless the children require something extra from these people.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:52 AM, Lattinlady said:

How much do you tip in the Haven?

Although the Haven is on the upper most deck (s) of the ship, I have never noticed it to feel as if it is tipping any more than the lower deck levels do.  However, in rough seas, it probably would feel more exaggerated up there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, jgoodm said:

This is consistent with what my TA suggested but I am not sure this is worded accurately.  I have a 4 person family (twin 8 year olds). So to tip the butler, concierge and room steward $140 per day seems like a lot, no?  What do you think?  FYI, I would like to be a good tipper so if I am wrong, please let me know.

Please use your own judgment.  Just the fact that you care to ask means that you are a good person who wants to appreciate those providing service. Go with your gut and DO NOT LISTEN to anyone's numbers - including your travel agent (who probably has never been in the Haven and is quoting those numbers because she/he read them on Cruise Critic.)  TRUST ME, the same people who will tell you to tip $140 a day ($980 for the week) are NOT tipping anyone $980 a week themselves.  People just like to act like an authority on things for which they are not.

You may not find my input helpful because I am not giving you a number - but think about it.  What do you give your mailman for the holidays?  Does it really matter what I give MY mailman?  You will build a relationship with your butler during the course of the cruise, and your gut will tell you what you want to give them.  Same with Concierge. (Note: Your room steward is already included in the DSC you are paying and is not expecting a cash tip.  You can give one IF YOU WANT - but again, your relationship and the level of service provided will guide you.)

Have a great cruise and feel confident that you are already a good tipper!! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Trimone said:

There is no guidelines for tipping, tip what you feel is right, and remember they are on a salary no way near the minimum wage...

Ships are kinda like land-based personnel. A component of their salary is tips. 

Let’s take the nations capital of the United States. The minimum wage there is $14 an hour. But, if you earn tips, your employer can pay you as little as $4.45 an hour. You are expected to use the first $9.55 of your tips Per hour to bring yourself up to the minimum wage (which is barely poverty level).

Crewmember on the ship that earn tips are the same way. Sure they have a contract, but what the company pays them is far less than that contract value. They are expected to use the first portion of their tips, to bring themselves up to their contract level. If their tips don’t bring them up to the minimum contract value, the ship will pay the difference. Only after they bring themselves up to their contract value, will they actually start earning what do you think is a tip.

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Ships are kinda like land-based personnel. A component of their salary is tips. 

Let’s take the nations capital of the United States. The minimum wage there is $14 an hour. But, if you earn tips, your employer can pay you as little as $4.45 an hour. You are expected to use the first $9.55 of your tips Per hour to bring yourself up to the minimum wage (which is barely poverty level).

Crewmember on the ship that earn tips are the same way. Sure they have a contract, but what the company pays them is far less than that contract value. They are expected to use the first portion of their tips, to bring themselves up to their contract level. If their tips don’t bring them up to the minimum contract value, the ship will pay the difference. Only after they bring themselves up to their contract value, will they actually start earning what do you think is a tip.

So you’re saying that it’s NCL who are screwing the staff, and not guests that don’t tip?

• Like 1

On a 7 day cruise in the Haven for 2 people I tip my butler $150. I also tip my room steward $150. I 

use the concierge for priority embarkation and disembark only  so I usually tip them $50. Occasionally

I tip more if I have a party or grandkids my room during the day because their workload for me would be higher.

That is an extra $350 on top of my cruise fare but I can afford it. There are some people who

tip way way more than me and some who don't tip at all. That is their choice and I respect that.

• Like 1

There is no right or wrong answer.  Depends how much you use the butler and concierge.  I agree since they are not part of the tipping pool, that they still should be tipped if you don't use them that much.  However, if you never use the butler for special requests, remember that he/she still brings treats to your room every day.  If you don't use the concierge for bookings that is fine.  However, I bet you use the concierge for priority walk off.  

I've had some concierges that would not even say hello to you if you walked past their desk and some who go way out of their way to make your cruise special.  There are just way too many variables to consider when tipping in the Haven.

8 hours ago, Trimone said:

So you’re saying that it’s NCL who are screwing the staff, and not guests that don’t tip?

This demonstrates how people don’t appreciate how the service industry works. And how important tips are to the workers.

In the, the bar waiter makes $600 in tips in a week. That did not bring him up to his minimum contract value and the cruise line kicked extra to bring him up to his minimum salary. (4 min 40 seconds into the 7 minute video shows the breakdown). 

Sorry, I have been in the service sector all my life, I pay well above the liveable living wage, and also share a good percentage of their takings with each member of staff, this is called commission, if individuals get tips it’s nothing to do with me.

Just remember that tipping is an American invention and is not expected in other parts of the world.  Places like Europe and Asia already pay their working residents a living wage for their services and American tourists do not take the time to learn other countries customs and practices.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

There is no right or wrong answer.  Depends how much you use the butler and concierge.  I agree since they are not part of the tipping pool, that they still should be tipped if you don't use them that much.  However, if you never use the butler for special requests, remember that he/she still brings treats to your room every day.  If you don't use the concierge for bookings that is fine.  However, I bet you use the concierge for priority walk off.  

I've had some concierges that would not even say hello to you if you walked past their desk and some who go way out of their way to make your cruise special.  There are just way too many variables to consider when tipping in the Haven.

Out of our last four trips, we've had two concierges that were the same way, head down at desk, never one attempt to check-in or ask if they could be of assistance.