Gala Nights

larrythelabrador

B&W is easy! Dinner suit and black or black and white dress with suitable accessories.

Roaring Twenties is becoming evermore popular. Fringed dresses, bling, pearls, feather boas etc. For gents perhaps a white silk evening scarf. Look on- line for ideas, it needn't cost a fortune. This evenings are lovely, and you feel good when you participate.

The first theme the OP is asking about is the "Ice White Ball", not the more typical "Black & White Ball". I understand that has been introduced on QE for the Alaska voyages. I haven't seen a description of the suggested attire for that ball. I wonder if Cunard is suggesting white dinner jackets for the gentlemen for the "Ice White" theme.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if it is being left open so that people can choose any suitable attire for the ice white theme - perhaps even white trousers, white shirt, white bowtie and white waistcoat and jacket for the men, along with white ballroom shoes?  Pure white glittery ballgown for the ladies, with ice sparkling crystals glued to the outside, and white crystal covered dance shoes - would all look pretty spectacular if most people went themed in similar fashion - wish we were on that voyage! For the men even white hair would be a pretty nice additional feature!

38 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

But not for the women?  If she were to read this, my dear (white-haired) wife would be not only lovely but livid.  For shame.

Oh of course - ladies always have the option of choosing colours of all their clothes and also hair.  So if a lady wishes to go to the Ice Ball with pure white hair, or variations on the white theme, then that is perfectly OK.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, larrythelabrador said:

I see we will have both Ice White Ball & a Roaring Twenties gala nights on our cruise, it would be interesting to hear what attire others suggest for those evenings?   Both for male & female, Images would be nice! 🙂

larrythelabrador,

On our next cruise, we will be having Black and White again and Roaring 20's for the first time. 

We too are researching what we need to get and bring.....we are having fun and hope you too with what you decide to bring and wear...Bon Voyage...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on the QE to Alaska and are about to give up on the Ice White Ball theme. I wish someone at Cunard had researched the glacial ice of Alaska which often is a mixture of white and aquamarine or blue. A Glacial Ice theme would have been much easier to achieve without looking like a mass wedding. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jer_l said:

We are booked on the QE to Alaska and are about to give up on the Ice White Ball theme. I wish someone at Cunard had researched the glacial ice of Alaska which often is a mixture of white and aquamarine or blue. A Glacial Ice theme would have been much easier to achieve without looking like a mass wedding. 

I just purchased an ice blue dress for that evening.... with glaciers in mind! 😊

• Like 1

"Ice" theme for AK sounds good....until one tries to carry it out.  I have to agree that white formalwear, for both men and women, can be quite unattractive, especially if it looks like wedding attire.

We just did an MSC Caribbean cruise.  Almost everyone dressed for White Night, with attire ranging from white linen sheath dresses, white slacks, shirts, and a couple of men in white dinner jackets.  That worked well.  In AK, for a Ball, I just wouldn't have the same enthusiasm.