Balcony vs Ccean View Cabin?

Maryscooking

Is a balcony cabin worth the two or three thousand more they often seem to cost over an ocean view?  Given the cost difference, I am surmising that having a balcony is very nice on an Alaska cruise, but I am really struggling with the extra cost.  You can do some really cool excursions with that kind of cash!

I have had everything from an inside to a suite in Alaska. I will do an inside in Alaska any day.

I say go with an inside/outside cabin and just plan on being on deck a lot to watch scenery! Save the money for excursions.

Besides - the views are best when you can walk around and see all the angles on deck. Even when I had a balcony, I am on deck on Glacier Days (and most other times).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I have had everything from an inside to a suite in Alaska. I will do an inside in Alaska any day.

I say go with an inside/outside cabin and just plan on being on deck a lot to watch scenery! Save the money for excursions.

Besides - the views are best when you can walk around and see all the angles on deck. Even when I had a balcony, I am on deck on Glacier Days (and most other times).

Good info, thank you! We are going to rent an RV after the cruise and do an extensive land tour on our own. Spending less on the cruise equals more land time and/or better excursions.  Space wise the ocean view will feel tight but I don't want to spend so much to upgrade just for a little more space.  Lots of pressure to make the right decisions on such a big trip!

1 hour ago, Maryscooking said:

Good info, thank you! We are going to rent an RV after the cruise and do an extensive land tour on our own. Spending less on the cruise equals more land time and/or better excursions.  Space wise the ocean view will feel tight but I don't want to spend so much to upgrade just for a little more space.  Lots of pressure to make the right decisions on such a big trip!

I spend a lot of time on deck, so it is not a big deal for me to have an inside/outside. If the choice is excursions or balcony - choose excursions!

Depending on when you are going...an inside stateroom could be a better option than the OV.

We did an OV stateroom for our 2018 Alaska cruise. I was concerned over the ability to see out of the window clearly and so I wasn't attracted to the lower level deck OV rooms. We had one of those forward OV rooms on a higher deck. It was fine for the early part of the cruise when we were in protected waters but when we were in the Gulf of Alaska, the motion of the ship was too much for DH. It was significant motion in the Gulf...like take the hangers down because they are clacking so much against each other now that you are all packed up and they don't have clothes on them.

While it was nice to be able to look out the window in the mornings to see out...I don't think the window was necessarily worth it. I wouldn't book an OV again. If you are interested in good sleep...go for that inside room. OMG...I finally tried out an inside stateroom on a shorter cruise...the sleep was AMAZING and after having dealt with the struggle of the curtain for the OV in Alaska...I would definitely pick an inside over an OV for future Alaska trips. Remember that the days are much, much longer in Alaska.

As for the balcony...while the idea of sitting in a private space to enjoy the view is tempting...moving around to enjoy the view has it's own appeal. There is so much to see from the ship in Alaska...so much more than the Caribbean...I think I would have the FOMO on other views if I stayed in my stateroom too long in Alaska.

Unless we're talking about an aft facing balcony. THAT would be amazing for me and I would go for that. Otherwise, my philosophy would be to just get on the ship...and be able to spend more on excursions, if that was my budget.

One thing I am wondering about balconies in Alaska - with one wall being glass, are there any issues keeping the cabin warm at night?  I've always done Caribbean cruises & I have noticed that interior cabins are easier to keep cool than the balcony cabins.  Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with cabin temperature in Alaska.

6 hours ago, dmdiver said:

One thing I am wondering about balconies in Alaska - with one wall being glass, are there any issues keeping the cabin warm at night?  I've always done Caribbean cruises & I have noticed that interior cabins are easier to keep cool than the balcony cabins.  Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with cabin temperature in Alaska.

No, there isn't an issue on the ships I have been on. I worry more about keeping the light out.

Though sometimes Alaska can get warm.

• Like 1

Not sure which line you are looking at but I did RCL inside room with a virtual balcony and thought it was great. It is a large tv that shows you a live videofeed of the outside. I could even close the curtains and it was bigger than an oceanview porthole. The only time I was in the room was to sleep as I spent 99% of my time in the Solarium or at the pool so for me it may sense. Some people who had the balcony said it was too cold for them to really use. 

Depends on who you are as a person. I do not want to hang out on deck with other people. My whole life is full of other people lol, and on vacation, I want as little interaction with humans as possible. So we always get a balcony and I would never cruise without one. If you're a people person, and don't think you'll spend much time in your room, save the money and stay in an inside and enjoy the scenery from the public spaces.

• Like 3

Our first cruise to Alaska we did an inside on the promenade deck.  I booked a room a couple of doors down from the door leading to the outer deck and it was perfect!  Like having a balcony without having to pay for it.  My 2nd cruise to Alaska we were able to upgrade to the Owners Suite (before all this bidding for upgrades on all the lines went into effect) where we had our own  huge balcony with a hot tub.  It made glacier day cruising memorable! 

We are going again this summer and have a balcony booked.  We debated on just doing an inside again, but thought we would get a balcony and see if we use it.  When we went to Europe we had a balcony and didn't use it due to the long port days.  I have a feeling that we will probably feel the same way on a regular balcony.  Not worth the price due to the limited time to enjoy it.  

Book whatever room is comfortable and affordable for you.  Excursions are expensive in Alaska.  I don't remember too much about the rooms I have had in my travels; but I have great memories of the adventures we have had! 

It's always up to you and what your budget will allow, but I could never go back to an ocean view cabin. I love my own personal place on the railing 🙂 and these views with a cup of coffee and still in my pj's?? You just can't beat it.

IMG_8612.thumb.JPG.7c0c860f664c579708b692cb8080bb77.JPG

IMG_8627.thumb.JPG.87d6677a205bd070ff6de66ac8409cfd.JPG

Or seeing these while I was supposed to be getting ready for dinner

P1050208.thumb.JPG.72a040f0442ba4ca92915541296c3313.JPG

P1050210.thumb.JPG.3ea667cba95f10f44f036b5c8d51c381.JPG

Edited by Kevin's girl
  • Like 1