Can you leave the ship after check in on embarkation day?

Freya4000

Probably a silly question, but I can't find a definite yes or no so I have to ask.

We're going on an Alaska cruise which departs from Seward at 9PM.

Check in time starts at 11:30. (Seems extra early for such a late start)

Since we need to check out of our hotel in the morning can we onboard, hand over our luggage, and then go back to explore the town for a few hours before getting back on the ship?

Edited by Freya4000

18 minutes ago, Freya4000 said:

Probably a silly question, but I can't find a definite yes or no so I have to ask.

Since we need to check out of our hotel in the morning can we onboard, hand over our luggage, and then go back to explore the town for a few hours before getting back on the ship?

I have never been on this itinerary but here is my two cents. They use the public areas for muster drill so it usually is

done before dinner time which starts at 5:30. Usually 3:30. That would be cutting any sightseeing time close.  You might

be better off checking in later and doing sightseeing beforehand.

Rather than breaking up your day in order to dump your luggage,  check out of the hotel, leave your luggage with the front desk, then start exploring!   When you're ready to board, collect your luggage and go to the ship.  

(keep in mind that the train arrives at 11am so avoid that time)

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

Rather than breaking up your day in order to dump your luggage,  check out of the hotel, leave your luggage with the front desk, then start exploring!   When you're ready to board, collect your luggage and go to the ship.  

(keep in mind that the train arrives at 11am so avoid that time)

Wish we could but we're staying at an airBNB style place with no front desk. We're using a luggage storage service  post-train / pre-hotel. We could do that again on embarkation day but I'd rather have one less thing to coordinate.

We may not even feel the need to leave the ship after onboarding but I'd like to know if it's an option. 

1 hour ago, lixogab said:

I did this with other cruise company, not with NCL. Most likely the answer is yes for NCL as well.

Once you have the card you can enter the ship any time but have to be onboard 2 hours before leaving.

Thanks.  That's what I has thinking. 

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Sounds like you’re on a Jewel sailing this summer. Me too! Someone posted dailies from a July 2019 sailing - the main muster drill was at 5:30pm with a second drill at 8:30pm for those who boarded later. 

Awesome!! This is so helpful! Thank you! We're sailing 7/13, what about you? Any excursion ideas yet?

2 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I have never been on this itinerary but here is my two cents. They use the public areas for muster drill so it usually is

done before dinner time which starts at 5:30. Usually 3:30. That would be cutting any sightseeing time close.  You might

be better off checking in later and doing sightseeing beforehand.

That might be what we do but the challenge is luggage storage while we're wandering around town. Also hoping since we'll be in seward before the train we can get in line before the biggest crowd and get it over with quickly. We'll see how we feel that day.

Edited by Freya4000

This maybe isnt the best answer to your question - but when I was 19 and went on the NCL Sky (it was brand new at the time) my wife and I checked in with the friend we were traveling with and then the friend and I went back out to the car.  When we came back in the gate agent looked at our paperwork and asked where the wife was. We said already on board!  I always was like wow we could've snuck someone on board so easy.

it's been 20 years so the policies may have changed.

Edited by jlowe420

1 hour ago, Freya4000 said:

Awesome!! This is so helpful! Thank you! We're sailing 7/13, what about you? Any excursion ideas yet?

I’m on the June 1 sailing. I’m due to arrive in Seward around 1:30 and haven’t decided whether to drop my bag and explore the town or just board right away and drink that first Moscow Mule! 

Still considering the options in Icy Strait. I’ve tentatively decided on a bus excursion in Skagway to do some photography if the weather is good. Otherwise, since this is my third trip to SE Alaska, I’ll likely just wander around the towns and then go soak in a hot tub. 

6 hours ago, Freya4000 said:

Yes it is easy to do, but it is about a mile walk  into town and cabs are few and far between. The walk  is easy and flat. Usually you can drop luggage really early  and then go back  and check in, that way your hotel shuttle can drop you back in town so that you only have to walk  one way.

I don't think you can get off once you actually board the ship on embarkation.  You can drop your luggage with the porters, check in at the desks and then leave the building and come back when you are ready to board, as long as you are there by all aboard time.

Seward is not a large town.  They are extremely great at holding on to your luggage if you want to do a tour before you board.  Resurrection Bay was awesome, you can do a 4-5 tour that is over by 5pm (check Major Marine).  They schedule most tours with ship, train and bus schedules.

Look into getting a coupon book (Toursaver), it has a ton of discounts all over Alaska that may save you money over a ship excursion.

Enjoy, Alaska is beautiful.