Oasis - Junior Suites oversold for March sailing

klove613

1 hour ago, klove613 said:

I am not sure. They said it is an "offer" and if I want to be considered for it to fill out a survey. I don't think I will respond. Looking at pricing for balcony cabins for next year, it looks like with the refund, I will still be paying about the same had I booked a balcony originally. 

The OBC is fine, but not enough to give up the extra space for 7 days. 

And, you would lose the double points. If, that matters.

2 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

And, you would lose the double points. If, that matters.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe RC assured them they would get the points associated with the original stateroom.

Yes, they confirmed that we would receive the C&A points for the original stateroom.

A disturbing trend, for sure.  My connecting staterooms on the 12/29 Oasis sailing were recategorized TWICE, leading to a bunch of time wasted trying to negotiate something remotely comparable.  It took WAY more effort than it should have, considering the first cabins were booked and paid WELL in advance.  This is not similar to airlines overbooking, where you might get a seat moved a few rows, get a voucher for a flight a few hours later, etc.  This is a very expensive, week long vacation, booked well in advance, with customer who often book their cabin class/deck/location for specific reasons.  It's simply not acceptable to bump or move guests without an overwhelmingly generous offer (that they are equally welcome to decline).

• Like 3

I also received this email for the February 16th sailing 😟.  Additionally, the email I received did not have the “link” on it.  Spent at least 30 minutes on phone with a supervisor.  Here is what I was told.

-  They discovered the problem today when they ran the manifests.  It only affects JR Suites.

-  I booked my cruise on February 12, 2019 and the person who also has my suite booked before me.

-  Only people who respond to the survey will get the offer.  In other words if you do nothing you will probably have your room reassigned and get nothing in return.  

-  There is a special group working on the room reassignments based on the survey responses so I could not get a new room tonight.

-  You will get the same C&A points you were originally going to get in the Jr. Suite plus refund of 2nd passenger’s fare and $300 OBC.

So, I had the email resent with the link and filled out the survey.  I am just praying that it will all be resolved and I will have a room since DH and I are traveling with 2 other couples who have Ocean View Balconies.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

I also received this email for the February 16th sailing 😟.  Additionally, the email I received did not have the “link” on it.  Spent at least 30 minutes on phone with a supervisor.  Here is what I was told.

-  They discovered the problem today when they ran the manifests.  It only affects JR Suites.

-  I booked my cruise on February 12, 2019 and the person who also has my suite booked before me.

-  Only people who respond to the survey will get the offer.  In other words if you do nothing you will probably have your room reassigned and get nothing in return.  

-  There is a special group working on the room reassignments based on the survey responses so I could not get a new room tonight.

-  You will get the same C&A points you were originally going to get in the Jr. Suite plus refund of 2nd passenger’s fare and $300 OBC.

So, I had the email resent with the link and filled out the survey.  I am just praying that it will all be resolved and I will have a room since DH and I are traveling with 2 other couples who have Ocean View Balconies.  

Thank you for the additional information. I find it hard to believe that people will be reassigned from Junior Suites that they paid for to less expensive Balconies and receive nothing in exchange. That just makes no sense and could turn into a PR disaster. I know you are just reporting what you were told, but it sounds like a scare tactic. 

I will definitely contact them on Monday. Thanks again!

• Like 4

Wow! Interesting and what seems to be a more common occurrence. Thanks for letting us know about what occurred and the progression and developments. What an awful thing to have happen to your booking. Your information helps us though, should the same thing happen to us in the future. Thanks! 

50 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Free upgrades would be an acceptable resolution. Any other suites available??

I have checked for my two sailings Feb 23 & March 1 and there are no suites higher than JS  available 😞

• Like 1

By all accounts, the was an OFFER.  Nothing more.  An opportunity to cruise for perhaps a better deal, perhaps not.  It doesn't appear that anyone  who has had a confirmed cabin will be denied boarding or randomly have a cabin downgrade.  It's overbooked (spring break?) so they're offering a "deal."  Take it if you like it or don't if you don't.  But seems a lot of conspiracies are being wound here.  

At least at this point, it doesn't seem all that big a deal.  Run the numbers and decide if it's something you're interested in, or don't.  Try a "counter offer."  You know, call them and agree to a downgrade for a certain price that's much more beneficial to you, and add in free Drink Package and free Ultimate Dining Package and see what they say.  Could be a great deal! 

Edited by papaflamingo

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I fear this may be the way things are moving to.  People may be bidding using RoyalUp and their bids may amount to more than others have paid, so Royal threatens to bump the existing holders of certain categories.  In other words, pretty soon we will get an email that says unless we pay "X" more, we won't be able to go on the cruise.

that better not happen! That would be my LAST cruise with them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

By all accounts, the was an OFFER.  Nothing more.  An opportunity to cruise for perhaps a better deal, perhaps not.  It doesn't appear that anyone  who has had a confirmed cabin will be denied boarding or randomly have a cabin downgrade.  It's overbooked (spring break?) so they're offering a "deal."  Take it if you like it or don't if you don't.  But seems a lot of conspiracies are being wound here.  

At least at this point, it doesn't seem all that big a deal.  Run the numbers and decide if it's something you're interested in, or don't.  Try a "counter offer."  You know, call them and agree to a downgrade for a certain price that's much more beneficial to you, and add in free Drink Package and free Ultimate Dining Package and see what they say.  Could be a great deal! 

Agree it is an offer. We have done the numbers for the benefits in refund/OBC as we are B2B. Very interesting for us especially since they are protecting our double points. We have til Jan 31 to submit the survey. I would like to have the same oceanview balcony if at all possible.   Once you check out the survey in the email to show your interest this last line concerns me.  Phone call will be in order first before I hit submit. . 

"By submitting this information, you're confirming that you're interested in changing your Junior Suite to a standard balcony stateroom. Once you hit submit, all changes are final."

33 minutes ago, emmy said:

"By submitting this information, you're confirming that you're interested in changing your Junior Suite to a standard balcony stateroom. Once you hit submit, all changes are final."

Yes, that part is very concerning. We are celebrating my daughter's birthday onboard, so I would prefer to keep my stateroom. If they were offering half off the entire cruise, then I would consider it.

Edited by klove613
  • Like 1

I am on the March 1 sailing in a GS.  I got a Royal Up email in early January offering the opportunity to bid on several options: CLS, SLS, Aqu 1 and 2 bedroom, OS, 2 bedroom GS and UPS.  At that time, the suite category was showing as sold out, although there were several options available the day before I got the email, including a JS GTY.  Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out-wonder if it will impact the Royal Up process. 

Were any of you in the JS category offered an opportunity for a Royal Up bid, either before this email or after?

15 minutes ago, Southern latitudes said:

I am on the March 1 sailing in a GS.  I got a Royal Up email in early January offering the opportunity to bid on several options: CLS, SLS, Aqu 1 and 2 bedroom, OS, 2 bedroom GS and UPS.  At that time, the suite category was showing as sold out, although there were several options available the day before I got the email, including a JS GTY.  Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out-wonder if it will impact the Royal Up process. 

Were any of you in the JS category offered an opportunity for a Royal Up bid, either before this email or after?

My daughter received a Royal Up email on Jan 19, which I thought was weird since she is a young adult and never books anything.

According to jmh2006, there are two groups booked into their JS. I wonder how many Junior Suites are affected.

Edited by klove613

13 minutes ago, Southern latitudes said:

Yes I was Offered Royal Up for the Feb 23 sailing. It came on Dec 26.

three sailings are oversold Feb 16, Feb 23 and March 1

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I fear this may be the way things are moving to.  People may be bidding using RoyalUp and their bids may amount to more than others have paid, so Royal threatens to bump the existing holders of certain categories.  In other words, pretty soon we will get an email that says unless we pay "X" more, we won't be able to go on the cruise.

This would be extortion from a legal aspect.  It certainly wouldn’t be in RCs best interest to begin that practice. 

• Like 1

We just booked a JS for an Aug 12 night Baltic sailing.  It was the last JS for sale which makes me worry.  We have 4 with two younger kids so moving to a regular balcony would NOT be something I'd be interested in.  Connecting balconies I would be interested in, but again I could have received that for a lower price and could have picked the exact location.  I would absolutely not accept the offer and it shocks me that it is such a low offer.  Generally a balcony at an unknown location sells for much less than passengers who want to pick their location.  

I have to say I find the wording of refunding the cost of the 2nd passenger to be the odd part of the offers.  Seems to me like they should just be offering like a refund of half your cruise fair paid.  The way they do their odd sales and weird calculations of the second passenger, I wouldn't want that offer. I have seen Princess have these issues in the past on occasion.  I knew a couple who agreed to switch weeks, got a suite on the new sailing and a refund of their cruise fare.  Eventually Royal might up the offers?  

9 hours ago, emmy said:

Yes I was Offered Royal Up for the Feb 23 sailing. It came on Dec 26.

three sailings are oversold Feb 16, Feb 23 and March 1

I guess I can go ahead and cancel my RoyalUp bid for a JS on 2/23 then...

In all seriousness I’m very sorry to hear about this for everyone affected