Gratuities

Swedish Viking

Read up on MSC...their literature should say one of two things....either "gratuities included" which mean they're not expected.  Or, "gratuity guidelines", where they'll tell you what is expected.

Ok..I looked for you....They do expect tips, and for your convenience, they will add about $12.50 pp per day ($6.25 for kids under 12)   to your bill, so you don't have to figure out anything, or tip additionally.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Swedish Viking said:

Are gratuities compulsory on MSC Seaside? Please no negative comments, I only want to know if it’s yes or no. Thank you

OK, straight answer with no negative comments.

i believe it depends on where you book from. In the US, no, not compulsory. They'll be added to your bill, but you can get them removed.

For other countries, I'm not 100% sure...it might be mandatory there.

Good luck.

Kevin

2 hours ago, denmarks said:

They can still go but why cheat the staff out of the majority of their pay?

Why assume they will cheat the staff? Perhaps they want to tip directly. Perhaps it is something else? They just asked a question and asked for no negative comments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, denmarks said:

Gratuities are never compulsory but if you do not want to give them then don't go on a cruise.

First, don´t give people wrong answers if you don´t know what you are talking. On MANY cruise lines gratuities are compulsory for ALL nationalities, on SOME only for some nationalities. On some the decision is free for all. 

Second, it is not your business at all if somebody is deleting the gratuities or not. Or tipping or not. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Swedish Viking said:

Are gratuities compulsory on MSC Seaside? Please no negative comments, I only want to know if it’s yes or no. Thank you

As you know already about the gratuities, there is another similar topic, the "port taxes/fees/whatever". Same here, some nationalities need to pay, some not. If you are really Swedish I guess not need to pay. These charges cannot be removed, if MSC collects from your "market", you have to pay. Which markets MSC collects? All markets where they legally can do this, so probably all markets outside Europe and some inside Europe. 

On 1/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, cb at sea said:

Read up on MSC...their literature should say one of two things....either "gratuities included" which mean they're not expected.  Or, "gratuity guidelines", where they'll tell you what is expected.

Ok..I looked for you....They do expect tips, and for your convenience, they will add about $12.50 pp per day ($6.25 for kids under 12)   to your bill, so you don't have to figure out anything, or tip additionally.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write to me regarding gratuities. I would just like to say i didn’t say I wasn’t going to give any tips, I just wondered if it was compulsory. It was only a question. I didn’t ask to be judged or told not to go on a cruise if I didn’t intend to tip. This is my decision and not anyone else’s. It’s my money after all. Money I’ve been saving up for over a year to pay for myself, husband and 15 year old daughter flying from Sweden. I always tip so I think it’s very rude to give such opinionated replies when I  asked for no negative comments. 

7 minutes ago, Swedish Viking said:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write to me regarding gratuities. I would just like to say i didn’t say I wasn’t going to give any tips, I just wondered if it was compulsory. It was only a question. I didn’t ask to be judged or told not to go on a cruise if I didn’t intend to tip. This is my decision and not anyone else’s. It’s my money after all. Money I’ve been saving up for over a year to pay for myself, husband and 15 year old daughter flying from Sweden. I always tip so I think it’s very rude to give such opinionated replies when I  asked for no negative comments. 

Sorry for the negative and rude comments. You don't deserve that for just asking a question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about cruise line paying their staff fair wages and not being dependant on the mercy of the cruisers? 🙂

Im shocked that anyone today would earn their salary or most of it through the good will of the customer.

Tips should be fully an extra and a bonus to the working people. Not an essential part. 

You go to a store and buy a carton of milk. Does the cash register girl expect a tip?

You order a package on amazon. Does the guy packing the package get gratitudes?

Someone paves a road. Does he live out of the mercy of the drivers?

Cruise lines, stop with the nonse of the gratitudes, compulsory or not. Its a marketing scam. If people live out lf it, include it in the base price. If not, everyone should stop sh*** about it.

Some people tip a good service, some expect that paying for the service itself covers the service. Good or bad. Dont force people into tipping if they dont feel like it or it isnt in their custom. 

Edited by Urbee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MSC page describing Daily Hotel Service Charge and the increase taking place next summer (2021) to $14.00pp/day. Currently, 12.50pp/day . This is not listed as a gratuity.  Yeah, I know, usual CC semantic discussion here.  

Just noticed they have a section.   

TIPS-MSC does not recommend tipping individual staff members.  

Thought this was somewhat amusing as many do just that.  

Best advice, pay daily HSC and then anything additional should be personal choice.

6 hours ago, yankees111 said:

Don’t be cheap. If you don’t want to tip then perhaps you should go camping instead!

Don't be an ass. If you can't answer the question he asked without judgement then stay off the internet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1