Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

11 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Some of the policies we read today are very clear that even medical coverage will be denied for policies after March 4. 

Maybe we got Medical Certificates because we had them on the cancelled policy. I’m not sure. Mind you, it wasn’t cheap but then I used them when I broke my ankle skiing in Japan in 2017 and they paid everything (minus the $100 excess on each item) including flying back BC even though I only had economy ticket because my leg needed elevation. 

Anyone who believes they can beat an insurance company is living in another world. Anyone who has respiratory issues cannot in good conscience get on a plane or cruise ship right now, why do it? 
 Give the scientist a bit of time, the oceans will be there, the ports will be there, Seabourn has treated  fabulously given all we see is water every day, and once things settle down, book the cruise of your dreams. I’m on the balcony looking over the Indian Ocean thinking how lucky I am to be here, although not happy how things have gone.

this is still the best way to see the world, and maybe the Sojourn the best of the best, so if you have medical issues etc, postpone your cruise for a year, and if you don’t, things will straighten themselves out within 30 days, and I really doubt the cruise lines will really stiff those that feed them. 
  Good luck to all, and I’ve decided on the Patio tonight, as the sky is clear, and who can beat fresh everything at the pool with an open sky and open bar. 
   To be honest, being stuck out here really isn’t too bad, but we’re not off the ship yet, and never quite sure what they want to do with us, to be continued, 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, westmount said:

Anyone who believes they can beat an insurance company is living in another world. Anyone who has respiratory issues cannot in good conscience get on a plane or cruise ship right now, why do it? 
 Give the scientist a bit of time, the oceans will be there, the ports will be there, Seabourn has treated  fabulously given all we see is water every day, and once things settle down, book the cruise of your dreams. I’m on the balcony looking over the Indian Ocean thinking how lucky I am to be here, although not happy how things have gone.

this is still the best way to see the world, and maybe the Sojourn the best of the best, so if you have medical issues etc, postpone your cruise for a year, and if you don’t, things will straighten themselves out within 30 days, and I really doubt the cruise lines will really stiff those that feed them. 
  Good luck to all, and I’ve decided on the Patio tonight, as the sky is clear, and who can beat fresh everything at the pool with an open sky and open bar. 
   To be honest, being stuck out here really isn’t too bad, but we’re not off the ship yet, and never quite sure what they want to do with us, to be continued, 

You say, why do it? Because my Quest cruise starts in a week, and the cancellations for a FCC only apply for cruises after April 1. So, I'm caught between asking my doctor to lie (as if he would) and get a medical reason for cancelling, or lose my whole cruise fare. So, I will fly to Buenos Aires (two flights), and board the Quest hoping for the best. And when I cough for food caught in my throat, hope that my fellow passengers won't have me committed/quarantined/whatever. And yes, I am of the elderly persuasion. Princess (another Carnival company)is allowing cancellation with 3 days notice. Seabourn? Not that I've heard of yet.

14 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

From what we hear, China has slowly gotten back to "normal." There are traffic jams in the larger cities and factories are back into production. If that be true, we can expect resolution world wide in the next few weeks...NOT months. T

I don't believe any news coming out of China.  Don't even ask why I say this--but suffice to say, there is China experience involved. 

53 minutes ago, Pendle Witch said:

We have just returned off Odyssey and whilst there were no problems, the number of people not using the sanitizers was quite worrying. Not just forgetting to use them, but deliberately bypassing them and seeing other people using them.

Can you please tell us what you thought of the general mood of the passengers? How much discussion was there of the virus? Did you notice a lot of cleaning etc? How about safety instructions from the crew about hand washing etc?

6 hours ago, westmount said:

Westmount, I have truly enjoyed your posts and your point of view.  Are you on the entire World Cruise?  If so, I am very envious.  You have such a good attitude while facing facts and possible uncertainties to come.  

Let's talk about respiratory issues and what they entail.  These are just general questions:  Have you ever had pneumonia?  (Sometimes there is lung damage).  Do you have asthma?   (Or have you ever had asthma--even mild asthma).  Do you have congestive heart issues  with the attendant shortness of breath (learned about  this  through caring for my elderly mother).  Do you have COPD (that's an obvious one).  

Today I saw Dr. Fauchi say that he does not recommend getting on a cruise ship.  Chilling advice from a doctor who is the best in his league.  

Edited by SLSD

27 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Carnival has now matched Royal Caribbean and upped the ante with onboard credit for those who choose to sail.

Will Seabourn follow?

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavirus-carnival-cruise-credits-reschedule

Is Fox News also reporting that Dr. Fauchi, recommends not going on a cruise ship if you are elderly (I assume this is 60+) or have underlying medical conditions.  He is really the main expert in the United States I consider to have credibility.  

As my husband and I are healthy with no risk factors we will still be cruising.   I am sure many others will also continue to cruise.   It’s a transatlantic so I don’t really care if the two ports don’t want us.   It’s a wonderful ship to sail on (Quest).   We will load tons of books on our Kindles and bring a jigsaw puzzle or two to do in our cabin.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark56 said:

Can you please tell us what you thought of the general mood of the passengers? How much discussion was there of the virus? Did you notice a lot of cleaning etc? How about safety instructions from the crew about hand washing etc?

We found it pretty much like a normal cruise. We had our temperatures taken as we went off the ship in Guadaloupe, but that was the only place. What we found interesting was the lack of anything at the airports, we expected temperatures to be taken, sanitizersanitizers all over the place, but none. No one on the ship in masks, and an odd few at the airports.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Is Fox News also reporting that Dr. Fauchi, recommends not going on a cruise ship if you are elderly (I assume this is 60+) or have underlying medical conditions.  He is really the main expert in the United States I consider to have credibility.  

The name is FAUCI. He often jokes that Americans can't speak Italian and use" CH"rather than "C." He's a proud Italian-American and was one of, if not the, first Italian-Americans to graduate from Cornell Medical School.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mahogany said:

You say, why do it? Because my Quest cruise starts in a week, and the cancellations for a FCC only apply for cruises after April 1. So, I'm caught between asking my doctor to lie (as if he would) and get a medical reason for cancelling, or lose my whole cruise fare. So, I will fly to Buenos Aires (two flights), and board the Quest hoping for the best. And when I cough for food caught in my throat, hope that my fellow passengers won't have me committed/quarantined/whatever. And yes, I am of the elderly persuasion. Princess (another Carnival company)is allowing cancellation with 3 days notice. Seabourn? Not that I've heard of yet.

Agree 100%.... and I have severe misgivings as to whether Seabourn WILL do the right thing...

We sail in 12 days, I have not even had acknowledgement of my multiple repeated emails to guest relations @ SB  asking questions...BEFORE we spend OUR extrs $$ on changed flights and hotels to JOIN their 100% altered, mutilated cruise itinerary....

NO REPLY...?  REALLY, NO REPLY...!!

What is wrong with this company. 

Does anyone suggest a direct number or email in order that we, or our agent get some answers...?

Really....?

Just call them up from the phone number on the website.  When I had questions about the new cancelation policy I called them and their travel advisor answered in a couple of minutes and answered my questions.

1 hour ago, cuddles115 said:

The name is FAUCI. He often jokes that Americans can't speak Italian and use" CH"rather than "C." He's a proud Italian-American and was one of, if not the, first Italian-Americans to graduate from Cornell Medical School.

It is always so helpful to have the spelling police onboard.   So, please excuse my spelling error this time.  

However his name is correctly spelled, he IS the expert I'm listening too.  I hope the government does not try to get him removed from his job.  

I just heard another doctor interviewed (from Baylor College of Medicine) who is working on a corona virus vaccine with his team.  The issue now is insufficient funding.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

We boarded the Encore in Sydney yesterday.  Check-in was a lot slower than usual on SB and took us about 50 minutes, when we started at 12:15.

We had a questionnaire with three questions about travel to China etc and if we were in contact with anyone who was.  If you answered yes ( we did not) you were then supposed to answer questions about flu symptoms.

The port and SB personnel thumbed through passport pages a bit but

1.  Temperatures were not taken on us, and on no one we saw in the crowd  ( maybe they were somewhere if they answered “yes” to any of the questions).

2.  Though our pre-boarding online SB cruise info had told us we would be issued personal hand sanitizer bottles  on boarding, we were not ( but we brought our own).

3.  At the Colonnade buffet it was self-serve as before, except for some of the hot entrees.

At muster, we were jokingly advised not to shake hands on the cruise, and to bump elbows instead, but other than that, I have not seen any special visible precautions taken on this cruise.  It is running just like a normal cruise so far ( our port today in Batesmans Bay was cancelled due to unsafe tendering, so I am unsure if Aussie port personnel will be doing anything different either).

2 hours ago, Mr. Manhattan said:

The US State Department is now advising US citizens not to take a cruise.  

Watching this develop with obvious great interest since we still have 12 days to decide under the last published policy (until it changes again).  I’m starting to feel less optimistic about the transatlantic now since it starts in the US.

I’m myself just home from urgent care with acute bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection.  It’s almost like the universe is trying to warn me.  😳

7 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Watching this develop with obvious great interest since we still have 12 days to decide under the last published policy (until it changes again).  I’m starting to feel less optimistic about the transatlantic now since it starts in the US.

I’m myself just home from urgent care with acute bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection.  It’s almost like the universe is trying to warn me.  😳

Oh no!  I was really hoping you would get to take the transatlantic with a minimum of stress.  My husband is sick with the same illness you have--two days now.  He rarely claims to be ill, so he has to be feeling really badly.  

15 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Oh no!  I was really hoping you would get to take the transatlantic with a minimum of stress.  My husband is sick with the same illness you have--two days now.  He rarely claims to be ill, so he has to be feeling really badly.  

I also rarely go down from illness... my husband dragged me - protesting - to CareNow, where the doctor agreed with my husband’s decision.

I’ll be watching tomorrow to see if either/both my client visits on Tuesday cancel - the am one is in the Philly suburbs where they now have cases, the pm one is in New Orleans where they don’t.  We are on “essential travel only” for the remainder of the month, but that’s based on client discretion, not mine.

2 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I'd seriously, if I were you, not go.  You don't want to get worse and please don't infect others.  

• Like 1

We are on an interesting route, as it’s 3000 miles in a straight line from Columbo to Australia, with a beautiful sunrise at 618 am and the same for sunset on the other side at 618 pm . All we see is water, birds and sun, so if think anyone on the ship knows what day of the week it is, it’s only because CNBC reminds us the world is going on strike until a vaccine is found. 
  From my perch out here, it looks like every citizen of every country needs to do a rotation 14 day self quarantine , close the borders, the schools, the stores, you name it, close it down for two weeks. 
it’s  that, or two years of always being behind the virus, . Trump had it right with China at the start, but didn’t (think) that one of the million Chinese residents that left Wuhan before the quarantine would get on a plane to Milan on his/way to Tehran to meet his friend getting on a cruise ship in California, why should he, he had a hunch. 
in any case, if your cruise is prior to April 1st, and in good conscience you do not go, and write to Seabourn once you have lost your money if insurance won’t cover it, I am pretty sure they will find a credit for you in the future. 
under the rules they put into place, it’s probably an insurance issue, but I wouldn’t fly around the world because you might lose your money, your health should always be more important.

They haven’t really brought up what type of compensation we will be getting, outside of the original 25% credit for the changed portion of the cruise, but at this stage, I’m guessing this cruise won’t be costing me very much once we’re done, and I’m not really sure if it will continue past Perth, where we hopefully get off. 
Australia seems to be handling the virus well, as they are tracking patients travels etc, but by the time we get there, things can change of course. 
  One has to believe that everyone will eventually cross paths with someone who met someone who crossed paths with a virus carrier etc, so if I was lord and master, I would pull a China plan and quarantine everyone for 14 days, starting the day we left the Seychelles, 7 days  ago, it’s the only way this stops. 
oh yeah, there’s an Indian themed dinner and dance party at the pool, happening tonight, but so many things to do beforehand. 
  Lastly, the staff has been scrubbing, washing , cleaning, sanitizing everything on the ship over the last few days, tables, walls, railings etc. As for the passengers, I’m trying to get the restaurant guys to change to staff serving vs self serving buffet, old habits are hard to change, but at least they are requiring everyone to sanitize their hands before entering , that’s a small first good step. 
 There are things Seabourn could start right away that would be appreciated by most on board, I started on them a couple days ago and they started yesterday with the salads. 
  Let’s face it, not all passengers got the memo on good hygiene yet, but they will from other passengers quickly. 

13 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

I'd seriously, if I were you, not go.  You don't want to get worse and please don't infect others.  

With all due respect, if I still have a respiratory infection in 43 days (when our cruise embarks) I’ve got bigger worries than whether or not to take a cruise.

i am cautious, but I think this is a bit ridiculous and extreme!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

With all due respect, if I still have a respiratory infection in 43 days (when our cruise embarks) I’ve got bigger worries than whether or not to take a cruise.

i am cautious, but I think this is a bit ridiculous and extreme!

I think the poster was referring to your possible business trips this week while you are ill.  I hope you feel better soon.