Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

IMO, the low number of reported cases in some countries is that they don’t have the testing facilities or test kits. My DIL is from South Korea and she said the test they do takes 10 mins with an 85% accuracy.  This is from Worldometers:

Coronavirus Testing: Criteria and Numbers by Country 

As of March 2, 2020

Country
Tests Performed  Tests per Million People 
Population

South Korea 
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
UK
Finland
Vietnam
Turkey
United States 
472*

* as of March 1. On March 2, the "Total tested" figure was removed from CDC's website.

5 minutes ago, ab21au said:

IMO, the low number of reported cases in some countries is that they don’t have the testing facilities or test kits. My DIL is from South Korea and she said the test they do takes 10 mins with an 85% accuracy.  This is from Worldometers:

Coronavirus Testing: Criteria and Numbers by Country 

As of March 2, 2020

Country
Tests Performed  Tests per Million People 
Population

South Korea 
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
UK
Finland
Vietnam
Turkey
United States 
472*

* as of March 1. On March 2, the "Total tested" figure was removed from CDC's website.

A very sad comment about the state of our healthcare under the current administration.

I wonder why so many here don't think we need some sort of change.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

A very sad comment about the state of our healthcare under the current administration.

Personally I think in AUS and USA we are told everything is fine, we know what we are doing etc just so that we will keep faith in them. Countries like Singapore, South Korea are doing what is necessary but then they have a different culture; different leaders, different people. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Paulchili, again I can’t/won’t comment on state of US healthcare system, other than to say it confirms my previous suspicions that the US is not testing as many people as elsewhere, but this article in Australia again points out that those most at risk are those with least access to healthcare 

https://apple.news/AeCUzJ58-RoqeDfcqeeoQrw

Edited by teamflames
Quoted incorrect name

4 hours ago, ab21au said:

Personally I think in AUS and USA we are told everything is fine, we know what we are doing etc just so that we will keep faith in them. Countries like Singapore, South Korea are doing what is necessary but then they have a different culture; different leaders, different people. 

Likewise this a personal comment, not relative fact to this thread.

Edited by koalapanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I just went down to my GP. This man is not prone to hysteria he is a complete straight shooter. He told us we would be downright crazy to travel and take a cruise now. He believes any form of non essential travel for anyone is plain crazy. He is someone who travels every year and he has cancelled all his upcoming trips.

With my asthma he said I would be dumb to contemplate travelling (still am 🤪).

He is convinced this virus is man made and weapons grade. As I said this man is normally so relaxed (we are in Port Douglas a small coastal town) and never worries about influenza (highly recommends the vaccine) etc. 
He believes the authorities are lying about what they know as they are determined not to create panic. He believes this virus was an attempt to make a more contagious version of the SARS virus.

He gave a list of reasons why he believes it is man made, I won’t bother to list them all and said that 5% of the genome has not been identified (first I have heard of that).
He is convinced it will spread dramatically in Australia. His secretary is normally the most relaxed person I have ever met, she was using tissues to pick up pens, constant using sanitiser etc. They had signs up banning anyone from entering who had been to any of the hotspot countries plus a host of others including Thailand and Cambodia. She told me despite that there have been people open the door to ask if they can be seen. She said they must go to a hospital but they must give the hospital advance notice so they can be prepared. I have asked her in the past if she gets sick working in a surgery and she laughed and told me she gets her flu shot but very relaxed and feels immune to most things. They were clearly not of that mindset today.

Certainly has changed our mindset but we will continue to wait and see what develops. Not helping that Sri Lanka and India are putting more restrictions in place. 

I am sitting out here in the Indian Ocean on the Sojourn reading about all the refund issues and anxieties of those who I gathered paid in full within the last three months. Out here, it’s a bit different, as we never quite know if the next port will take us or how the world tour will end up. The Maldives rejected us, seems 450 cruise passengers are more dangerous than 20000 airline ones, but on the ship, everyone is coping well without really knowing where we might end up. 
  I’m sure in six months time, Seabourn will do what it feels is in its best interest ( mollifying passengers) who fully paid and didn’t get the trip they wished for, but its really a small group of passengers, as everyone outside of 90 days has a choice to cancel on their own. If one doesn’t like the offer, they can walk. 
  We are in a difficult position, as we are in the middle of the Indian Ocean crossing our fingers that we have no issue in Sri Lanka, and it’s. To like it’s my dream safe house, but we have seven seas days to Australia after that, so if we have an issue after four sea days to get there, then either Australia is our next best friend or Seabourn will need to sign employment contracts with all of us. 
we do feel we’re probably the safest place in the world right now, with the good news being EVERYONE now wipes the gym machines spic and span , washes their hands every ten minutes and tries not to sneeze in your face with the threat of being thrown overboard if not. 
  Once Seabourn is done cleaning up their schedule , which I gather will occur when travel restrictions will abate and treatments around the world take over from fear, Seabourn can always modify their plans for those who didn’t get what they bargained, for, including us, but first we have to get to somewhere , not sure where that will be exactly, but if you’re going to suffer, There’s worse places to be right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, koalapanda said:

Likewise this a personal comment, not relative fact to this thread.

Hmmm... I see our posters' assessments of what they are being told as relevant.  I just spoke with a friend in Seattle, the center of quite a few cases in the United States.  She told me that they don't really know what is happening there.  There have been 9 deaths.  

52 minutes ago, westmount said:

We are in a difficult position, as we are in the middle of the Indian Ocean crossing our fingers that we have no issue in Sri Lanka, and it’s. To like it’s my dream safe house, but we have seven seas days to Australia after that, so if we have an issue after four sea days to get there, then either Australia is our next best friend or Seabourn will need to sign employment contracts with all of us. 

Pleased to hear you're having a great time and people are wiping down the gym equipment! Indeed sneezing on someone should be a keelhaul event so make sure to report any transgressors to the captain at once. 

When are you due in Sri Lanka? Because as of yesterday they are refusing to allow cruise ships to disembark anyone, they can dock, they can take on board supplies (and presumably new passengers) but nobody can get off. So if that was your last port of call then I'd anticipate a change and if you are continuing on, then you may get to see it from the port but that'll be it. Unless they change their minds again and the situation is more fluid than the water around the hull. 

I was thinking of a cruise next month just got this 

hope this helps someone

ANNOUNCING SEABOURN'S
BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE POLICY

The current climate of public concern regarding the global health situation makes us appreciate even more the professional skill, knowledge and judgment you bring to our partnership. We understand that many of your clients with future Seabourn bookings are quite naturally feeling pressure to make immediate decisions about maintaining or canceling their travel plans. Meanwhile, others are hesitant to make future bookings during the present uncertainty.

To coincide with our Global Partner Appreciation Event, and in order to minimize these concerns for you and your clients, Seabourn is introducing Book with Confidence, a temporary exception to our cancellation policy. We want to assure them that they have time to continue watching the situation but do not need to cancel right now. And they can book a future voyage with confidence that their non–refundable cancellation fees are not at risk.

Seabourn's Book with Confidence policy is valid now through April 30, 2020.

Coverage: All existing bookings and new bookings made now through April 30, 2020 for sailings departing between April 30th and October 15th, 2020.

Policy: Guests may cancel up to 30 days prior to departure and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit of any monies paid to Seabourn that are currently within the cancellation period.

The Future Cruise Credit is valid for bookings made within 90 days* for any published sailing departing prior to December 31, 2021.

We hope that this temporary change in our policy will help you maintain existing Seabourn bookings and possibly help you secure new ones to help your business thrive.

You can find the latest Health Travel Advisory information and helpful guidance on the News page of our website.

Divider

Edited by tinkky

1 hour ago, tinkky said:

hope this helps someone

ANNOUNCING SEABOURN'S

The current climate of public concern regarding the global health situation makes us appreciate even more the professional skill, knowledge and judgment you bring to our partnership. We understand that many of your clients with future Seabourn bookings are quite naturally feeling pressure to make immediate decisions about maintaining or canceling their travel plans. Meanwhile, others are hesitant to make future bookings during the present uncertainty.

To coincide with our Global Partner Appreciation Event, and in order to minimize these concerns for you and your clients, Seabourn is introducing Book with Confidence, a temporary exception to our cancellation policy. We want to assure them that they have time to continue watching the situation but do not need to cancel right now. And they can book a future voyage with confidence that their non–refundable cancellation fees are not at risk.

Coverage: All existing bookings and new bookings made now through April 30, 2020 for sailings departing between April 30th and October 15th, 2020.

Policy: Guests may cancel up to 30 days prior to departure and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit of any monies paid to Seabourn that are currently within the cancellation period.

The Future Cruise Credit is valid for bookings made within 90 days* for any published sailing departing prior to December 31, 2021.

We hope that this temporary change in our policy will help you maintain existing Seabourn bookings and possibly help you secure new ones to help your business thrive.

You can find the latest Health Travel Advisory information and helpful guidance on the News page of our website.

Divider

I’d call this more desperate than generous - certainly when compared to Viking.

I’m sure many passengers would like to get off in Columbo , tour the city sites in an ac vehicle and get back on the ship, but if we get embargoed, that would not surprise me. 
I think they just announced the Sri Lanka situation as we speak, so we just became employees. 
Hope they don’t run out of grey goose, we’re going to need it

2 hours ago, tinkky said:

hope this helps someone

ANNOUNCING SEABOURN'S

Divider

Hi tinkky, Are you able to indicate whether you received this as an email from Seabourn? I have checked the Seabourn website, and I can’t see any indication of this new temporary policy as yet. We have a booking in June, and we are trying to decide whether we want to go ahead. It would be great to have a bit more time to decide. Thanks

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I’d call this more desperate than generous - certainly when compared to Viking.

Isnt it wonderful that this generous "Book with Confidence" policy is announced to try keep travel agents happy to encourage new bookings.

Too bad it only allows you 90 days to make a new booking if you cancel

....oh, I forgot, if yout cruise departs before April 30 2020,  too bad for you, and PS: We massacred your itinerary too if youre on Sojourn, Encore...

Really ?? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zimflyer said:

Isnt it wonderful that this generous "Book with Confidence" policy is announced to try keep travel agents happy to encourage new bookings.

....oh, I forgot, if yout cruise departs before April 30 2020,  too bad for you, and PS: We massacred your itinerary too if youre on Sojourn, Encore...

Really ?? 

I noticed this “Global Partnership Celebrations” announcement was the same day as the itinerary changes announcement and made a very cynical F B post at the time stating it explains why there is such a lack of information coming out of Seabourn- they are too busy giving TAs Amazon coupons and free cruises to worry about paid up customers. I did delete it at the time but feel more vindicated as time passes.

1 hour ago, zimflyer said:

I can live with that one

1 hour ago, zimflyer said:

....oh, I forgot, if your cruise departs before April 30 2020,  too bad for you

That one however is a complete what the hell. 

2 hours ago, Aulight said:

Hi tinkky, Are you able to indicate whether you received this as an email from Seabourn? I have checked the Seabourn website, and I can’t see any indication of this new temporary policy as yet. We have a booking in June, and we are trying to decide whether we want to go ahead. It would be great to have a bit more time to decide. Thanks

I am a travel agent I suggest you call yours as I presume everyone got this from Seabourn