Caribbean Princess gift shop - any must buys?

WallyNDiane

On an upcoming B2B2B we will have AU $1,450 in OBC. We have free gratuities, free WiFi, free beverage package so the OBC is all available for whatever we want. I can't think of anything I would want to spend it on in the onboard shops...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

I am deciding on how much $ to spend on Princess Gift cards to pay for on board purchases. I don't want to overspend on cards however. 

Are there any items in the gift shop that are at fair value and that are really nice? 

Liquor or cigarettes are the only deals on board any cruise ships these days. Whatever you do don't buy any of that Effy jewelry. All the cruise lines have that franchise on board as well as department stores on land.  I have read so many complaints about stones falling out and chains breaking. It's an ordeal to get it fixed. Some refer to it as iffy jewelry. Something that says the name of the ship you are sailing is about the only thing that you can't get at home.  A picture always makes a nice souvenir.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WallyNDiane said:

I am deciding on how much $ to spend on Princess Gift cards to pay for on board purchases. I don't want to overspend on cards however. 

Are there any items in the gift shop that are at fair value and that are really nice? 

What is the perceived benefit of getting gift cards ahead of time? If you lock money on a gift card, you might be compelled to spend it (even if it doesn't make sense). If you just get on the cruise and spend whatever you like and pay then and there, it's the same, but you don't have the perceived pressure of having to use up whatever credit you have. 

• Like 1

I can get either discounted groceries or gas if I buy gift card at a Giant Eagle supermarket. A friend of ours pays for their entire cruise via these gift cards. The supermarket offers $.10 discount for every $50 spent. They double that offer numerous times per year. 

Just trying to save some bucks, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks to all who commented.

Towards the end of the cruise and on sea days, Princess will have "sales" in one or more of the Lower Dining Rooms. You can find watches, hats, jewellery, wraps, jackets, tshirts, beach bags, some nice bags with the Princess logo, and other goodies for around $10 and less. One cruise I picked up a few nice lightweight front zip summer jackets with some gold designs on the front.