DIY Ocean Medallion Bracelet

history_bits

Hi everyone! 

For something a bit different I thought I'd share a little pre-cruise craftiness. 😊

Mom and I are sailing on the Crown on February 25th and I kept debating whether or not I wanted to purchase a clip or sports band for my medallion. We were on the Regal last year (loved it!) and the lanyard was fine most of the time but I hated wearing it in the evenings when we went to dinner, have drinks, or for a show or music. 

I'm not usually very vain, but if I'm putting in the effort to look nice for the evening (which I do when I cruise) I couldn't help but feel that the ol' lanyard cramped my style and I usually just carried it in my hand.

I looked at the nice bracelets and couldn't bring myself to spend that money, especially with the Canadian conversion rate.

I was waiting for my coffee to brew the other morning and started playing with my old Medallion which I just keep on the fridge as a magnet. Then it hit me! Couldn't I just make something myself?

I hit Michael's after work today and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my results. Fimo modeling clay, super strong magnets, pre-made bracelets and some Swarovski crystals later I'd say not too shabby. $30 Cdn and I still have two magnets and most of the Fimo left.

Clearly handmade but I'm pleased. Wouldn't wear them for strenuous activity, but I think they'll make my evenings a little classier.

20200131_223252.jpg

20200131_223506.jpg

20200131_223541.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, poongie40 said:

That looks great!  But I'm curious.... can we put the medallion in a small purse like old key cards?  I never used a lanyard.   

It's just a sensor, really. You can carry it and use it how you like. You might have to take it out and tap a sensor from time to time, like to pay at a bar, but for the most time, you could just carry it in your pocket.

I just don't usually have pockets in my dresses for dinner, hence the bracelet. 

I did put it in my bra once, but that only works for opening the door. You don't want to be rummaging around in there to pay for a drink. lol 😂🤣 🤫

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:40 AM, CineGraphic said:

Now you can open a shop on Etsy, and sell them

I wish someone would open a shop for unique medallion jewelry. We arent fans of what's offered. My husband is a jewelry maker and he has been trying things out. The problem is the medallion is just barely too big for most jewelry findings. 

• 1 year later...

Does the medallion have a magnet in it?  I read somewhere  that in a “brochure” someone read that they are not okay for pacemaker, or other implantable devise users to use?  Anybody know about this?  Seems weird. 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:58 PM, history_bits said:

Hi everyone! 

For something a bit different I thought I'd share a little pre-cruise craftiness. 😊

Mom and I are sailing on the Crown on February 25th and I kept debating whether or not I wanted to purchase a clip or sports band for my medallion. We were on the Regal last year (loved it!) and the lanyard was fine most of the time but I hated wearing it in the evenings when we went to dinner, have drinks, or for a show or music. 

I'm not usually very vain, but if I'm putting in the effort to look nice for the evening (which I do when I cruise) I couldn't help but feel that the ol' lanyard cramped my style and I usually just carried it in my hand.

I looked at the nice bracelets and couldn't bring myself to spend that money, especially with the Canadian conversion rate.

I was waiting for my coffee to brew the other morning and started playing with my old Medallion which I just keep on the fridge as a magnet. Then it hit me! Couldn't I just make something myself?

I hit Michael's after work today and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my results. Fimo modeling clay, super strong magnets, pre-made bracelets and some Swarovski crystals later I'd say not too shabby. $30 Cdn and I still have two magnets and most of the Fimo left.

Clearly handmade but I'm pleased. Wouldn't wear them for strenuous activity, but I think they'll make my evenings a little classier.

20200131_223252.jpg

20200131_223506.jpg

20200131_223541.jpg

How did you make that?
My problem is that I have to have something nickel-free.

16 hours ago, muffin said:

Does the medallion have a magnet in it?  I read somewhere  that in a “brochure” someone read that they are not okay for pacemaker, or other implantable devise users to use?  Anybody know about this?  Seems weird. 

It's in the Princess info...standard disclaimer (likely required by lawyers/insurance). Will the tiny magnet interfere w/pacemakers? Who knows?

• 4 months later...

I bet you could, but I think it might be quite a large charm, and could dangle and hit things?  I haven’t seen an actual medallion yet, but I think  they are a bit larger than a quarter in diameter and a bit thicker than a couple  of quarters.  Am I correct?

others have mentioned buying colour coordinated holders on Amazon….plastic. I’m not sure what the true purpose is of the holders, but somebody can tell us I am sure.  Happy creating! 

To muffin and others worried about the medallion and a pacemaker. I have a pacemaker and it advised that we keep magnets away from the pacemaker. Phones should be used on the opposite ear, not laid on your chest, and you should not walk thru a metal detector. With the medallion it is safer to keep it on your wrist, on the opposite side of the pacemaker then wearing it around your neck. They also make a holder that attaches to your watch which holds the medallion. Look on Amazon!