Does Southampton have any travel appeal there or nearby?

Doscervezasporfavor

It’s pretty obvious that to get the best choice in P&O cruises you have to get to Southampton. Since we’re in Ireland I normally discount it as an option as I’d never be comfortable booking a flight on the same day the cruise leaves/returns and don’t fancy the extra cost of a hotel near the port.

if you were giving tips to someone who doesn’t know much about the south of England, but is comfortable with flights and travel, what would your recommended way of doing a cruise starting in Southampton be? e.g. good places to bookend the cruise for a day or two.

I’m guessing people more than a comfortable day’s drive on the mainland UK may face similar concerns so there are probably plenty of options I just don’t know about.

51 minutes ago, Doscervezasporfavor said:

It’s pretty obvious that to get the best choice in P&O cruises you have to get to Southampton. Since we’re in Ireland I normally discount it as an option as I’d never be comfortable booking a flight on the same day the cruise leaves/returns and don’t fancy the extra cost of a hotel near the port.

if you were giving tips to someone who doesn’t know much about the south of England, but is comfortable with flights and travel, what would your recommended way of doing a cruise starting in Southampton be? e.g. good places to bookend the cruise for a day or two.

I’m guessing people more than a comfortable day’s drive on the mainland UK may face similar concerns so there are probably plenty of options I just don’t know about.

If you have a couple of days available then a nice hotel somewhere in the new forest is an ideal place for a short break.

We stay at the Holiday Inn on the waterfront in Southampton.  Best place to eat is right across the road at Gatehouse 1833.

Southampton has tons of history that you can see just by walking around.  The ferry to Isle of Wight is also right there. 

Southampton has a lot of history that is a good day out. 

Close by we have the historic docks at Portsmouth, the New Forest (Beaulieu etc), Winchester, Salisbury, Bournemouth all within a shortish distance. 

A couple of days on the Isle of Wight is always interesting. 

And, the biggest attraction of course... I live here😊

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you are flying into Southampton airport there is a train link to the city centre just a few minutes walk from the terminal. It also has taxis and car hire facilities for if you want to take up some of the suggestions made by the locals above that are a little further away.

It’s a very small airport so quick for baggage and easy to find your way around.

• Like 1

Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth is good for a day out, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose are the highlights, a nearby shopping centre is popular with out of town visitors and it's well linked to Southampton via train.

Southampton itself is an old walled city and some of this can still be walked, with visits to several museums on the way including the Bargate, Tudor House and the Sea City for a Titanic exhibition. The National Motor Museum in the New Forest is one of the attractions outside of Southampton but is a little more challenging to get to without a car but can be done.

Winchester, original capital of Wessex and England, also easily accessible by train, is good for a visit with a centralised shopping area all alongside the Cathedral which is one of the largest in Europe.  

Travelling a little further out, perhaps an hour by car, or again accessible by train you have the market town of Salisbury and home of yet more ancient attractions such as the Cathedral and of course nearby Stonehenge is a massive tourist attraction.

Plenty to do here and around just needs a little research.

• Like 1

Absolutely worth spending extra time in the Southampton area....its a wonderful area. So much so that after our first visit....day before going on a cruise.... which was an overnight stay in Brockenhurst  we now come down every year for at least a week and stay at a wonderful place in Brockenhurst....there really is so much to see and do and Brockenhurst has a really good train service and in the summer a really good sight seeing bus that takes you all over the New Forest....not to be missed. If you book an extra week you still won't see and do all that there is in the area

• Like 1

There is the Southampton Aviation Museum "Solent Sky" which most people have not heard about.  Southampton was more important than London for international travel and its fleet of Empire flying boats and invention of the Supermarine Spitfire connection.

Regards John

• Like 2

Thanks folks, it looks like there are plenty of options depending on whether we've one or more days to spare. I know I could have googled but the amount of info can be overwhelming and you can't beat some first hand advice.

I've been to Southampton airport once but it was a transfer on the way to Guernsey so I only saw the inside of it. It was a bit chaotic but small and convenient. Hopefully Flybe can keep that route running.

Our holiday options have just opened up in a good way so many thanks.

15 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We stay at the Holiday Inn on the waterfront in Southampton.  Best place to eat is right across the road at Gatehouse 1833.

Southampton has tons of history that you can see just by walking around.  The ferry to Isle of Wight is also right there. 

Gatehouse 1833 is now closed down.

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Gatehouse 1833 is now closed down.

Oh no!  That is a cryin' shame.  We were so impressed with the food (upstairs, not the Indian restaurant downstairs) that we went back a second night along with folks from our  cruise who were also staying at the Holiday Inn.  Absolutely wonderful food and quite a fabulous view of the harbor.  I sure hope it reopens.  We got to be friends with the owner and were treated like royalty.

5 hours ago, Doscervezasporfavor said:

Thanks folks, it looks like there are plenty of options depending on whether we've one or more days to spare. I know I could have googled but the amount of info can be overwhelming and you can't beat some first hand advice.

I've been to Southampton airport once but it was a transfer on the way to Guernsey so I only saw the inside of it. It was a bit chaotic but small and convenient. Hopefully Flybe can keep that route running.

Our holiday options have just opened up in a good way so many thanks.

There is a nice quiet pay for lounge at the far end upstairs, ideal for going home day. They do the usual snacks and drinks, newspapers etc but it is an oasis of calm and very reasonably priced imo. It is also only a couple of minute walk from the gates (but then so is everything in the airport😀) so you can sit there until just before boarding.

18 hours ago, Doscervezasporfavor said:

Highclere castle where Downton Abbey was filmed is near Newbury which isn't far from Southampton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Oh no!  That is a cryin' shame.  We were so impressed with the food (upstairs, not the Indian restaurant downstairs) that we went back a second night along with folks from our  cruise who were also staying at the Holiday Inn.  Absolutely wonderful food and quite a fabulous view of the harbor.  I sure hope it reopens.  We got to be friends with the owner and were treated like royalty.

Gatehouse 1833 had a pretty poor reputation locally for hygiene etc. 

We ate there once and it was good but not spectacular. 

Fortunately, there is plenty of choice for food in Southampton. 

Andy 

22 hours ago, Doscervezasporfavor said:

We've done a couple of 2 night stays in Southampton before a cruise and love the place.

Like the shopping centre and the history of the place. The Titanic museum is worth a visit and there is also a good aviation museum which isn't far from the terminal where the memorial for the Titanic is.

We really like Southampton and would happily stay there again just to visit (even with no cruise)

• Like 1

The new forest is just across the water from Southampton lovely villages, walks, wild ponies, motor museum,  many nice hotels that will organise the 20 minute drive to Southampton docks. Good for before a spring  or summer cruise.

We use Carey's Manor for a very good park and cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 8:00 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Gatehouse 1833 had a pretty poor reputation locally for hygiene etc. 

We ate there once and it was good but not spectacular. 

Fortunately, there is plenty of choice for food in Southampton. 

Andy 

I am sorry but have to completely disagree with your comment. which could be damaging  to the establishment which in my own opinion and to others here, is excellent.

https://www.kutis.co.uk/

I have nothing do to do with Kutis Royal Pier but would bring you attention,

That since Mr Kuti Opened Kuti's Royal pier as an Indian Restaurant from his Oxford Street Location in 2018 the Kitchen has had a Five star food Hygiene Rating rating from Southampton Council. (The Oxfords street venue also had 5 stars)

The Venue Kuti's has won many awards in 2019 including Best Spiced Restaurant in The South East and The Tiffin Award.

All of the meat is butchered by Eynon’s of St Clears in Carmarthenshire, Wales. They are a family run business, with butchery in the family since 1860. Eynon’s hand pick all of the products they send to us, meaning we receive the highest-quality cuts of meat possible. 

If you want to read more for yourself, click here to visit their website.

Kutis Royal Pier is the Building, run by Mr Kuti,  who is passionate about the Building and Southampton in General, who decided to use the upstairs as a Fusion Venture , with alternative food and named it Gatehouse 1833 . With  Kuti's The Indian spiced food downstairs. If they were not busy upstairs then you could order the Indian and consume upstairs admiring the views. Unfortunately the upstairs venture did not work, so The whole building is Now Indian, with possible functions being held upstairs while the downstairs restaurant continues to flourish.

There is a great terrace  upstairs with views overlooking Southampton Water. Together with other great rooms upstairs, one being the Bar/lounge area with a glass floor area.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18065802.kutis-brasserie-awarded-best-spice-restaurant-south-east/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d15007663-Reviews-Kuti_s_Brasserie-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

Kutis also sponsors many Local Charitable events.

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 11.21.46.png

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 11.22.01.png

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 11.25.46.png

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 11.06.52.png

Edited by Pennbank

2 hours ago, Pennbank said:

I am sorry but have to completely disagree with your comment. which could be damaging  to the establishment which in my own opinion and to others here, is excellent.

That since Mr Kuti Opened Kuti's Royal pier as an Indian Restaurant from his Oxford Street Location in 2018 the Kitchen has had a Five star food Hygiene Rating rating from Southampton Council. (The Oxfords street venue also had 5 stars)

The Venue Kuti's has won many awards in 2019 including Best Spiced Restaurant in The South East and The Tiffin Award.

All of the meat is butchered by Eynon’s of St Clears in Carmarthenshire, Wales. They are a family run business, with butchery in the family since 1860. Eynon’s hand pick all of the products they send to us, meaning we receive the highest-quality cuts of meat possible. 

Kutis Royal Pier is the Building, run by Mr Kuti,  who is passionate about the Building and Southampton in General, who decided to use the upstairs as a Fusion Venture , with alternative food and named it Gatehouse 1833 . With  Kuti's The Indian spiced food downstairs. If they were not busy upstairs then you could order the Indian and consume upstairs admiring the views. Unfortunately the upstairs venture did not work, so The whole building is Now Indian, with possible functions being held upstairs while the downstairs restaurant continues to flourish.

There is a great terrace  upstairs with views overlooking Southampton Water. Together with other great rooms upstairs, one being the Bar/lounge area with a glass floor area.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18065802.kutis-brasserie-awarded-best-spice-restaurant-south-east/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d15007663-Reviews-Kuti_s_Brasserie-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

Blimey,is your cheque and free grub voucher in the post,lol.

3 hours ago, Pennbank said:

So sorry to cause offence. 

Was only repeating what family and friends locally had said, it was not first hand experience. 

Andy 

47 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

So sorry to cause offence. 

Was only repeating what family and friends locally had said, it was not first hand experience. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Blimey,is your cheque and free grub voucher in the post,lol.

😄

Might be if I show Mr Kuti this post.  😉

No offence AndyMichelle.

Its just that I know that it is an excellent establishment, very clean and highly recommended serving good quality Ingredients. As the links show. Obviously as with any establishment it can have glitches now and again. 

https://www.kutis.co.uk/about-kutis-brasserie/

Edited by Pennbank
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

😄

No offence AndyMichelle.

Its just that I know that it is an excellent establishment, very clean and highly recommended serving good quality Ingredients. As the links show. Obviously as with any establishment it can have glitches now and again. 

It's funny how rumour spreads and we form opinions without any basis... 

I will think more carefully before spouting off... 

Andy 

31 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

😄

No offence AndyMichelle.

https://www.kutis.co.uk/about-kutis-brasserie/

I'm confused, are Kutis and Gatehouse 1833 the same? According to TripAdvisor Gatehouse 1833 is now permanently closed and served different food than Kutis. We're going to try Kutis ahead of our upcoming June cruise because of the good reviews we've previously seen.

2 minutes ago, kenhem said:

I'm confused, are Kutis and Gatehouse 1833 the same? According to TripAdvisor Gatehouse 1833 is now permanently closed and served different food than Kutis. We're going to try Kutis ahead of our upcoming June cruise because of the good reviews we've previously seen.

Same people, but it seems the experiment of serving European food upstairs didn't really work, so now it is all Kutis. 

Andy