Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

I believe in the US, passengers from the Diamond are still testing positive.   I will look for a link.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/6-hospitalized-for-coronavirus-after-three-more-15081587.php

Right now there is an MSC ship outside Ocho Rios that is reportedly being stopped from docking in Jamaica by authorities there (because of a sick crew member):

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/jamaica-refuses-accept-cruise-ship-21575235

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

This is good. I've been thinking the whole time that we need at least a few infected patients here as test subjects to study and work with. I am glad they are using the opportunity. 

52 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

I was just going to post this. You beat me to it 🙂 Here is the local article :

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/unmc-starts-clinical-trial-on-possible-coronavirus-treatment/article_e31f3f6d-9279-5a04-8720-7aff6f935c8b.html 

Hopefully several of these are going on through out the world (different clinicals on different drugs).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, crbnlvr said:

Sorry if this has been answered but I'm curious.... where did the repatriated passengers end up here in the states?

AFAIK they are in multiple locations, I want to say Texas and NE? 

There's a poster here who frequently knows exactly which facility is hosting how many patients, not going to call them out by screenname as I believe they're on the 'inside' / on the healthcare side and don't want to put them in a position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlyssaJames said:

AFAIK they are in multiple locations, I want to say Texas and NE? 

There's a poster here who frequently knows exactly which facility is hosting how many patients, not going to call them out by screenname as I believe they're on the 'inside' / on the healthcare side and don't want to put them in a position. 

You are correct. There were plans to move them from Travis AFB but a judge blocked it. I haven't heard an update. And I also read that some were in Omaha? 

1 hour ago, gritsnc said:

You are correct. There were plans to move them from Travis AFB but a judge blocked it. I haven't heard an update. And I also read that some were in Omaha? 

Omaha has 14 from the Diamond Princess. 2 have continued to test negative and will be released March 2nd. 12 are positive.

I think they can handle 30. There are 10 beds in Biocontainment unit and 20 beds in Isolation/National quarantine unit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Just saw a 4th passenger passed away. My prayers to their family.

Unfortunately I think the final tally will be 10 or more.  This is a vulnerable population and the death rate for older people is higher.  That’s why I don’t agree that they should have been kept in the ship.  They needed to get people away from each other. Easier said then done.  Emergency buildings.  They don’t need to be super elaborate places for the healthy.  Or on the ship , everyone locked in rooms and food prepackaged from outside. No deck time. But you can’t give them food that the crew could contaminate. 

the sick all needed to be moved out to proper containment. 

Edited by beltsbear
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

It gets worse for our fellow cruisers: Cruises who test postive must leave Travis AFB but have nowhere to go

The problem is that we don't have enough facilities in this country for people with this infection (think about that for a minute) and the feds are trying to put them into an abandoned mental facility.   The people who live next to the facility are objecting, and frankly it does not seem like a good idea to repurpose an old building as a level 4 containment unit without at least a little remodeling.   I think we are coming to the point where our harsh criticisms of how other countries have dealt with this (China, Japan) are about to haunt us.   We may have to ask the Chinese for some of their "Lego" hospitals that can be built in 10 days, soon.   (We should be asking them for their test kits since ours don't work but I digress.)

I don't know if there is any organization that can advocate for both the passengers and the public in this instance, partially because frankly I don't know what to do.   Putting them into a regular hospital is guaranteed to spread the infection, and it sounds like we don't have a lot of containment set up (yet.?)     I really feel for them as they are pariahs through no fault of their own (I see a trend here of 'blame the victim' for acting like normal humans during the ship quarantine) and wish I could think of a magic solution.   The ones who stayed in Japan are probably better off, unfortunately.

This virus is a beast, lets all be kind.

It actually doesn't need to be a level 4 containment facility, because all of the patients will already be infected.  Its a lot better than the Chinese putting patients in rows in large rooms like gymnasiums. It also keeps the patients outside of normal hospitals so they can continue to be used for normal patient load.

All they would need to to make green zones for food prep, staff break, changing rooms.  No visitors would be allow.  A mental health facility would have the most important features, the security elements to keep patients locked down.  I expect that this facility would be for those testing positive, but with relatively minor symptoms.  Saving the high level medical space for those with serious symptoms.

• Like 2

Omaha (Nebraska Medicine/UNMC) is getting a 15th passenger from the Diamond Princess. This person has tested positive, is a spouse of someone already in Omaha. They are coming from Travis Air Force base.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/health/th-traveler-positive-for-coronavirus-to-arrive-at-unmc-campus/article_650d7589-a910-5fac-b365-a1f8489aabc7.html  

OWH: With the new traveler's arrival, there will be 13 in the 20-bed quarantine unit and two receiving care in the separate, 10-bed Nebraska Biocontainment Unit. Thirteen of the travelers have tested positive for the disease, called COVID-19. Two have tested negative. If the two remain healthy, they could leave quarantine March 2.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

Forty five passengers who were allowed off Diamond Princess have developed symptoms including fever and will be asked to take tests for the virus, Japan’s health minister said Wednesday.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2020/02/26/At-least-45-allowed-off-Japan-coronavirus-cruise-ship-have-symptoms-Minister.html

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Forty five passengers who were allowed off Diamond Princess have developed symptoms including fever and will be asked to take tests for the virus, Japan’s health minister said Wednesday.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2020/02/26/At-least-45-allowed-off-Japan-coronavirus-cruise-ship-have-symptoms-Minister.html

Well that makes it pretty clear.  As the saying goes the experiment failed.

Wonder how the US is going to deal with those that stayed. Now that it appears that symptoms are developing even in those that completed the process.  Should see some confirmation in the next couple of days when they are actually tested.

Edited by npcl

On here several mentions of how the diamond passengers badly affected were elderly. Just an update from Germany.  Their latest case is a 25yr old man from italy who was diagnosed yesterday and is now critical. One report has stated he had no underlying health issues  although i cant see how that would be known by the press.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, npcl said:

Wonder how the US is going to deal with those that stayed. Now that it appears that symptoms are developing even in those that completed the process.  Should see some confirmation in the next couple of days when they are actually tested.

A lot on here saw that coming.  Hope most kept themselves inside as much as possible as was requested, however, we know from following their twitter feeds some thought they knew better.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

On here several mentions of how the diamond passengers badly affected were elderly. Just an update from Germany.  Their latest case is a 25yr old man from italy who was diagnosed yesterday and is now critical. One report has stated he had no underlying health issues  although i cant see how that would be known by the press.

correction the bbc just corrected this to say a 47yr old is critical 25yr old just ill

7 hours ago, npcl said:

Diamond Princess will go down in textbooks as what NOT to do and I don't know how anyone cannot admit it was a failure.  It was an success story though in how to pass that virus to the most people possible in a small space.

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Mark Jorgensen (husband of Jerri and friends of the KHTS Radio couple) tested positive today....

image.thumb.png.212f109b39c0e3d9b4c7d006b58b1dd7.png

so as I recall that leaves one more left then from the two "shared" cabins....be almost impossible for that 4th person not to get it.

• Like 1

With it blowing up in Italy.  I wonder how many shipyards, etc will be bidding on cleaning the Diamond Princess?  Their might be pressure or flat out denials by various gov'ts allowing the ship to be cleaned in their jurisdiction.

25 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

so as I recall that leaves one more left then from the two "shared" cabins....be almost impossible for that 4th person not to get it.

She is in Omaha and so far has tested negative. Hope it continues. She could be released March 2nd.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1