Trip Insurance

dlwolf72

On 2/2/2020 at 8:34 PM, silentbob007 said:

I'd definitely shop for insurance rather than buy the one the cruise line offers.

We had no problem with RCI's policy when my mother needed surgery the day my cruise with DW left--I called in the cancellation to RCI the night before the cruise and established the claim, filed the documents and got paid within a month.

1 hour ago, taxatty said:

We had no problem with RCI's policy when my mother needed surgery the day my cruise with DW left--I called in the cancellation to RCI the night before the cruise and established the claim, filed the documents and got paid within a month.

They may be a decent option, but I think it is worth exploring policies and pricing. There are some easy shopping comparison sites to do this. 

I made a post about this and included lots of information about cancel for any reason  insurance in it, but someone moved it over to the “cruise insurance” board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730242-psa-do-yourself-a-favor-and-buy-cancel-for-any-reason-insurance/

Edited by ARandomTraveler

5 hours ago, taxatty said:

You got a refund under regular trip insurance because your mother’s Medical issue is a covered reason. But if you read the many posts being created about the current coronavirus issues, you’ll see plenty of people complaining about being denied boarding and not getting a refund because regular insurance doesn’t cover this issue, and many people didn’t buy any kind of insurance at all, though “cancel for any reason” is the only insurance that would actually pay a money refund in this case. Regular insurance as well as cancel for any reason insurance would also help pay for the additional hotel rooms people are having to pay for, and the airfare change fees to get home or re-route their original tickets so they can avoid China. 

Need another example, search “hurricane Maria” and you’ll likely find a lot of posts with similar complaints. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

You got a refund under regular trip insurance because your mother’s Medical issue is a covered reason. But if you read the many posts being created about the current coronavirus issues, you’ll see plenty of people complaining about being denied boarding and not getting a refund because regular insurance doesn’t cover this issue, and many people didn’t buy any kind of insurance at all, though “cancel for any reason” is the only insurance that would actually pay a money refund in this case. Regular insurance as well as cancel for any reason insurance would also help pay for the additional hotel rooms people are having to pay for, and the airfare change fees to get home or re-route their original tickets so they can avoid China. 

Need another example, search “hurricane Maria” and you’ll likely find a lot of posts with similar complaints. 

I just read a post over on Ask a Cruise Question and the poster was denied boarding because they flew through China. They will receive a refund for the cruise, but not for the air and hotel. The air, they used, so they really have no claim there, even with CFAR. The hotel they partially used and don't have a claim for the nights they used. No matter how we slice it no insurance policy is going to cover the myriad of "what ifs" that can crop up, at least not affordably.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I just read a post over on Ask a Cruise Question and the poster was denied boarding because they flew through China. They will receive a refund for the cruise, but not for the air and hotel. The air, they used, so they really have no claim there, even with CFAR. The hotel they partially used and don't have a claim for the nights they used. No matter how we slice it no insurance policy is going to cover the myriad of "what ifs" that can crop up, at least not affordably.

True- in that case the only thing insurance does for them is possibly give them a refund on the remaining hotel days and pay for the ticket change fee to get home early. 

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I thought those denied boarding were getting a FCC, not a refund.

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I thought those denied boarding were getting a FCC, not a refund.

The person in the thread I referenced is not sailing with Royal. ETA- just read that thread and they said they TA told them they would get the cost of the cruise back, but didn't specify what form it would take. They were going to be on Celebrity.

Edited by sparks1093

20 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The person in the thread I referenced is not sailing with Royal. ETA- just read that thread and they said they TA told them they would get the cost of the cruise back, but didn't specify what form it would take. They were going to be on Celebrity.

There is a thread here where someone was denied because they had been in contact with someone who was in China and is upset not to get a refund from RCL and only a FCC. Since the cruise is sailing, I wonder if insurance would kick in.

21 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a thread here where someone was denied because they had been in contact with someone who was in China and is upset not to get a refund from RCL and only a FCC. Since the cruise is sailing, I wonder if insurance would kick in.

It's one of the things being discussed in the thread and I personally don't see the insurance kicking in, the passenger was made whole with the FCC. That they don't like having the FCC because they can't use it isn't relevant. 

Edited by sparks1093

11 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's one of the things being discussed in the thread and I personally don't see the insurance kicking in, the passenger was made whole with the FCC. That they don't like having the FCC because they can't use it isn't relevant. 

I think that Royal will eventually give them a refund. They are effectively cancelling there cruise.

A FCC is not making them whole if you can't use it

Edited by cruisinfanatic

7 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I think that Royal will eventually give them a refund. They are effectively cancelling there cruise.

A FCC is not making them whole if you can't use it

They may wait until the FCC expires to do that, if they do it at all. I won't guess either way.

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

My particular cancel for any reason insurance policy would pay me a cash refund in this situation. It wouldn’t fall under the cancel-for-any-reason portion, but would be covered under the trip interruption rider that comes with it.

Edited by ARandomTraveler