DSC Amount?

roger001

D S C = Daily Service Charge

Basically a method to force* the guests to pay tips for the back scenes crew who do not get tips l  

* If not contested you pay that - you may remove some or all of it for your convenience but not without

forms being filled out.

Some concerns about the equity of distribution among the eligible crew.

NCL could do better here - - -

32 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

D- Discretionary

S- Service

C- Charge

The DSC is the automatic tips that are fully adjustable and completely discretionary.  In other words, you can pay as much as you want or don't want.  Just visit the customer service desk to make the adjustments.

I wish land resorts would do that with their "resort fees".  I stayed at a large chain, high end hotel at the edge of WDW property for a business conference.  With the hours we spent in conference rooms, I think I sat by the pool a grand total of 30 minutes in four days.  BUT, I still had to pay the $45/day "resort fee"!

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

Yea...I know it's out there somewhere if I'd just look harder.    But...what is the current DSC for both suites and no suites?  

6 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

$15/day/pp Non-Suite

$18/day/pp Suite

Just an update on the DSC fee.  I just went in to pay the DSC for my upcoming cruise next month; the fee was $15pp/pd, however, it's gone up to $17.25pp/pd.  I wasn't concerned with the increase, I know it happens pretty much every year, however, I was surprised that it listed the increased amount for my cruise.  I proceeded to pay the amount "owing" and was happy that they had grand-fathered the original amount as owing ($165 as opposed to $189.75).  

So, if you're already booked on a cruise, as long as you pre-pay the DSC, it should still be the lower fee.  

Sorry, no idea what the suite fee will be increased to but the outcome should be the same. 

18 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Just an update on the DSC fee.  I just went in to pay the DSC for my upcoming cruise next month; the fee was $15pp/pd, however, it's gone up to $17.25pp/pd.  I wasn't concerned with the increase, I know it happens pretty much every year, however, I was surprised that it listed the increased amount for my cruise.  I proceeded to pay the amount "owing" and was happy that they had grand-fathered the original amount as owing ($165 as opposed to $189.75).  

So, if you're already booked on a cruise, as long as you pre-pay the DSC, it should still be the lower fee.  

Sorry, no idea what the suite fee will be increased to but the outcome should be the same. 

What date is your cruise?  We leave on March 8th and its still $15.  I even added it to my cart and it is still the same.  

image.png.baee93a187cfae0948895575dd578818.png

Edited by Liljo22

My cruise is Mar. 29 on the Dawn.  I'm not sure when this change happened but it must have been today or yesterday since it's always shown as $15 up until now.   No worries for me since I always pre pay my DSC but if someone has decided to not pre pay they may end up being charged the higher price. That's how it's always happened before now.  

As I said, if you're already booked, you're fine, just pre pay and you'll get the lower rate. 

In your case, perhaps the change wasn't to take effect until end of March.  That would explain why you don't see any change on your reservation. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

9 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

My cruise is Mar. 29 on the Dawn.  I'm not sure when this change happened but it must have been today or yesterday since it's always shown as $15 up until now.   No worries for me since I always pre pay my DSC but if someone has decided to not pre pay they may end up being charged the higher price. That's how it's always happened before now.  

As I said, if you're already booked, you're fine, just pre pay and you'll get the lower rate. 

In your case, perhaps the change wasn't to take effect until end of March.  That would explain why you don't see any change on your reservation. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Changes the past few years have been on April 1st so since your cruise is during that date they may be increasing and haven't press released it yet.  $2.25 is a huge increase.  The industry standard has been a 3-4% increase but this is 15%.  

Can anyone else booked past April 1st confirm that it went up for their cruise?  

Just paid mine for Sept 2020 cruise - $15/pp/per day:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $15.00 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $210.00 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

7 hours ago, Love my butler said:

D- Discretionary

S- Service

C- Charge

The DSC is the automatic tips that are fully adjustable and completely discretionary.  In other words, you can pay as much as you want or don't want.  Just visit the customer service desk to make the adjustments.

Thank you for the correction D = Discretionary instead of daily

And for your convenience of course !

What part of discretionary do you not understand ?

I like to compare it to taxes - - -

How much did you earn last year ?

Send it in - will tell you how much you owe with discretion of course !

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:38 PM, GA Dave said:

I wish land resorts would do that with their "resort fees".  I stayed at a large chain, high end hotel at the edge of WDW property for a business conference.  With the hours we spent in conference rooms, I think I sat by the pool a grand total of 30 minutes in four days.  BUT, I still had to pay the $45/day "resort fee"!

Always felt the same.  Those hotel "resort fees" were something I never understood. But, they aren't optional.