Ocean Cay.....Chance of getting in ?

never_cruised

I've seen quite a few posts on here about the Ocean Cay stop being missed owing to conditions however it seems quite regular.

Looking today Seaside should have visited but is showing current location as Nassau.

Obviously safety is paramount so I understand the reasons but pretty gutting when you've looked forward to it since booking.

Edited by never_cruised

Haven't been to Ocean Cay w/ MSC.  But NCL has their own island, and in speaking from experience (and years of sailing with NCL and reading posts on that board)...seems like a 50/50 shot of making the island or skipping it.  Mostly due to it being a tender port vs. a dock.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Haven't been to Ocean Cay w/ MSC.  But NCL has their own island, and in speaking from experience (and years of sailing with NCL and reading posts on that board)...seems like a 50/50 shot of making the island or skipping it.  Mostly due to it being a tender port vs. a dock.  

It seems Ocean Cay has a different issue. They have a dock, but a very narrow entry channel. Seas need to be very cooperative. Unfortunately, the bigger ships (Seaside and Mera) are getting cancelled often. The seas have been exceptionally rough this season. It seems divina and Armonia are able to dock with more frequency. Of course, this could just be luck of the draw too. I know I am super excited for Ocean Cay and hope the seas calm down by April.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It seems Ocean Cay has a different issue. They have a dock, but a very narrow entry channel. Seas need to be very cooperative. Unfortunately, the bigger ships (Seaside and Mera) are getting cancelled often. The seas have been exceptionally rough this season. It seems divina and Armonia are able to dock with more frequency. Of course, this could just be luck of the draw too. I know I am super excited for Ocean Cay and hope the seas calm down by April.

I think Brett said winds less than 21 knots and currents less than 3 knots.

For those who don't live in Florida, we had a violent frontal passage that has gone through the state from west to east starting last night (Thursday).

We are talking violent thunderstorms, tornadoes and strong winds.

The passage left the west coast last night about midnight on its way east to the other coast and then out to the Bahamas.

It doesn't surprise me that ships stayed in port or canceled ports today. 

Ocean Cay's dock is open directly to the Atlantic Ocean.  No shelter from whatever the Atlantic is causing.  Very understandable that the sea conditions would cause a change in the itinerary.

For those on cruises that miss the port, it's unfortunate because this newly created island and its features (i.e. the laser show at night) was a highlight of my cruise on Meraviglia.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:31 PM, MrMike45 said:

We just got off the NCL Escape. We were able to go to Harvest Cay, but  tendered only because another NCL ship hit the pier and it was out of commission. We missed Costa Maya due rough seas and wind, the port was closed. Last week the Caribbean was very rough. On Friday the waves were hitting balconies on deck 11.

9 hours ago, hbe30 said:

We missed Costa Maya due rough seas and wind, the port was closed. Last week the Caribbean was very rough. On Friday the waves were hitting balconies on deck 11.

My Caribbean cruises for the last 3 years during December/January have experienced more windy weather and seas that are rough than they once did.  Temperatures have also not been quite was expected.

Can't be due to climate change.  Or could it be?