Couple got on wrong ship

Crystal04

In our situation I typed pier 2 and meant Terminal 2. But the important point was that the couple used Princess transfer from pre-cruise hotel to ship and got out at first stop which was the wrong ship. And yes, this was their fault because they had the responsibility to pay attention to what was going on and where they were. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe some of the confusion is that Regal sails mostly from TERMINAL 2 not Pier 2 in Port Everglades.  Pier 2 is a different location from Terminal 2.  We are on Regal now and when we sailed out last Sunday, Caribbean Princess was docked at Pier 2 and Regal was docked at Terminal 2.  If you ask an Uber or Lyft to take you to Pier 2 when your ship is leaving from Terminal 2, there's a good chance your luggage will be going on a separate cruise...:classic_huh:  Ultimately, it is the passenger's responsibility to know where to board their ship.

port-map.jpg

Image courtesy of porteverglades.org

Edited by pablo222

Hope they made it to the correct ship and got their luggages.

"young couple"...we should give them the benefit of doubt...they may have been overly excited, could've been their first cruise, could've had something to drink, could've been on their honeymoon.

Lesson for the day: Always look at the name of the ship before boarding. 😊

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

For newbies arriving at Port Everglades:  there are large signs at each security booth with the location of each cruise ship.  The problem with that is terminals 2 and 4 are before the security booth on Eisenhower Blvd and the sign IIRC.

That was my recollection too but when I got to PE last Sunday I saw that I misremembered. If you are using the parking lot between Terminal 2 and the Convention Center then that driveway is before the checkpoint.  If you are planning to pull up directly to Terminal 2 or dropping luggage with the porters, then you need to pass through the security checkpoint.

I really see no way this can happen. I do not care if you enter the incorrect terminal. There is no way you can check in on the wrong ship. Even if they did not notice that your check in info is not correct. Nothing would be there for you to do so. No ships card. If its with the medallion, impossible. The very first scan of it shows all your info and your picture. Nothing would come up. If it is a ship that uses the ships room key card. You are asked to show it a few times before you board on your way to boarding. You would not have one.

A few years ago we were going on a TA on the Royal Princess.  it left from FLL.  While in line (we were a short ways just inside the building) we overheard an older woman talking to a port employee.  What we heard was that she was at the wrong place.  She was going on Royal Caribbean.  She must have told her driver she was going on Royal and he took her to Royal Princess.  She was by herself and had no luggage with her.  I assume she had handed it over to the longshoremen.  I'm guessing she was in her 70's or 80's.  Don't know what happened after that as our line was moving quickly.

2 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

One would want to believe that.

However, this may well be an untested codepath...

As soon as you go through the scanning. The very next thing they scan your medallion and check your passport. All your information and your picture comes up on their pad. 

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I really see no way this can happen. I do not care if you enter the incorrect terminal. There is no way you can check in on the wrong ship.

And, yet, OP was there and heard the couple in question say they were on the wrong ship.

• Like 2

We've only sailed out of FLL once. I told the Uber driver the name of the ship. When we got out and were going to enter the terminal I asked personnel there if I was at the right place for Caribbean Princess. Who says men don't ask for directions? In airports I have my wife to make sure I'm in the right place. 😋

• Like 1

Some years ago, a friend and I had spend the day out in port. There were two Princess ships in port that day (I don't remember now which ones).   Upon our return to the ship, we were busy laughing and chatting as we went through several checkpoints and it wasn't until we were ready to board that someone looked closer at our cards and realized we were about to get on the wrong ship!  We sure had a good laugh but when security found out out far we had gotten, they were not the least bit amused and after that all cards were carefully checked. 

Some years ago, a friend and I had spend the day out in port. There were two Princess ships in port that day (I don't remember now which ones).   Upon our return to the ship, we were busy laughing and chatting as we went through several checkpoints and it wasn't until we were ready to board that someone looked closer at our cards and realized we were about to get on the wrong ship!  We sure had a good laugh but when security found out out far we had gotten, they were not the least bit amused and after that all cards were carefully checked. 

Years ago my brother and sister in-law went on one of those party cruises and came back separately to the ship. There were two sister ships in port one going east and the other going west in the Caribbean. My sister-in-law got on the wrong ship and had all the employees trying to find her cabin as that ship had different cabin numbers. They finally figured it out just before we were to sail. Of course this was years ago when security wasn’t like it us now, but something we’ll never forget 

I could see this happening at the check-in counter ... but difficult to see how they could make it all the way to the ship. The check-in agent would see their boarding pass was wrong ... and, if they missed that, their cruise cards wouldn’t be in the file.  It’s much easier to see how, in a busy multi-ship terminal, luggage could occasionally be missed directed to the wrong ship.

2 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

I could see this happening at the check-in counter ... but difficult to see how they could make it all the way to the ship. The check-in agent would see their boarding pass was wrong ... and, if they missed that, their cruise cards wouldn’t be in the file.  It’s much easier to see how, in a busy multi-ship terminal, luggage could occasionally be missed directed to the wrong ship.

Correct. You would never get past check in.

33 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Correct. You would never get past check in.

But somehow they ended up past check in and getting on the ship only to get turned away when they take your picture and scan the medallion. So, it can and does happen. I wasn't near them at check-in, so I don't know what they did or didn't do.  I was only behind them on the gangway getting onto the ship.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:12 PM, mpk said:

Hmm..  embark with walk on luggage option is sounding better and better.   But it is a hassle of its own, a different hassle  🙂

it's glorious and getting off is so easy as well. just remember to plan for bringing home your trinkets 🙂 always takes extra space. 

28 minutes ago, Crystal04 said:

But somehow they ended up past check in and getting on the ship only to get turned away when they take your picture and scan the medallion. So, it can and does happen. I wasn't near them at check-in, so I don't know what they did or didn't do.  I was only behind them on the gangway getting onto the ship.

The only way is they some how some way they just walked past everyone and headed for the ship. That I cannot see either. If they had the medallion, no way. They block the entrance and you can only go to one of the people scanning the medallion before you are allowed to continue to the ship. Once scanned. Your info and picture pop up. Then you start your trek to the ship. Before you get to the ship. Your medallion is scanned once again. It then shows everyone in your room. Then and only then can you continue to the ship.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

The only way is they some how some way they just walked past everyone and headed for the ship. That I cannot see either. If they had the medallion, no way. They block the entrance and you can only go to one of the people scanning the medallion before you are allowed to continue to the ship. Once scanned. Your info and picture pop up. Then you start your trek to the ship. Before you get to the ship. Your medallion is scanned once again. It then shows everyone in your room. Then and only then can you continue to the ship.

You are completely assuming that everything with the medallion works properly, with no basis to do so.

If we had some empirical data from actual folks who tried to board the wrong ship, and were turned back by the

medallion, I might believe you.

But, as it is, you just keep repeating "this is the way it should work", therefore "this is the way it works"

You may have forgotten that the ocean implementers ran into tremendous difficulty when they tried to move

from a warehouse in doral to a ship ... apparently forgetting that ships are metal.

I just read here in the past week or so, how one needs to be careful using a medallion with a slot machine,

or when you cash out, the money may get posted to someone else's medallion.

Who would expect that?    It would be perfectly reasonable to expect that YOUR money goes to YOUR medallion...

Obviously a reasonable expectation isn't always implemented properly the first time...

Edited by pablo222

3 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

You are completely assuming that everything with the medallion works properly, with no basis to do so.

If we had some empirical data from actual folks who tried to board the wrong ship, and were turned back by the

medallion, I might believe you.

But, as it is, you just keep repeating "this is the way it should work", therefore "this is the way it works"

You may have forgotten that the ocean implementers ran into tremendous difficulty when they tried to move

from a warehouse in doral to a ship ... apparently forgetting that ships are metal.

I just read here in the past week or so, how one needs to be careful using a medallion with a slot machine,

or when you cash out, the money may get posted to someone else's medallion.

Who would expect that?    It would be perfectly reasonable to expect that YOUR money goes to YOUR medallion...

Obviously a reasonable expectation isn't always implemented properly the first time...

That is all well and good. Buy you are assuming it does not work correctly. Let's say it does not. The person scanning will not just  let them pass will they? I doubt it.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

That is all well and good. Buy you are assuming it does not work correctly. Let's say it does not. The person scanning will not just  let them pass will they? I doubt it.

Who knows.  A scenario -- a cruiser is sailing from the same port on the same date, but on a different ship...

Someone scans medallion, and info show up.

Cruiser continues onboard.

No one currently know if the above is possible, or not.

When princess was using the a-pass kiosk system, they would often have a towel over

the display, as passengers complained about other people seeing their photo.

So, whether you boarded depended entirely on the sound the a-pass system made.

I personally caused quite a bru-ha-ha when re-boarding with the a-pass system...

I had several cruise cards in my pocket, and I accidently used one from a cruise on

the same ship, about a month earlier.

The system happily let me board.

I was friends with the computer officer on board, and unfortunately, this caused

him some grief, as he should have purged the old data...

I felt badly, as I liked the guy.

And, who would ever imagine that a slot machine would cash out to the wrong medallion?

Certainly no one would ever anticipate that customers would be delighted by this.

Of course, one way to help prevent this would be to only accept cash into a machine if a medallion session was active.

21 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Who knows.  A scenario -- a cruiser is sailing from the same port on the same date, but on a different ship...

Someone scans medallion, and info show up.

Cruiser continues onboard.

No one currently know if the above is possible, or not.

When princess was using the a-pass kiosk system, they would often have a towel over

the display, as passengers complained about other people seeing their photo.

So, whether you boarded depended entirely on the sound the a-pass system made.

I personally caused quite a bru-ha-ha when re-boarding with the a-pass system...

I had several cruise cards in my pocket, and I accidently used one from a cruise on

the same ship, about a month earlier.

The system happily let me board.

I was friends with the computer officer on board, and unfortunately, this caused

him some grief, as he should have purged the old data...

I felt badly, as I liked the guy.

And, who would ever imagine that a slot machine would cash out to the wrong medallion?

Certainly no one would ever anticipate that customers would be delighted by this.

Of course, one way to help prevent this would be to only accept cash into a machine if a medallion session was active.

Guess we can no scenarios all day. As for the slot. Wen I played. I would scan the medallion for the first time and enter my pin. It would then indicate it was me every time I played. So I cannot see that happening either. No different than on any other ship when sticking in you room key card.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Guess we can no scenarios all day. As for the slot. Wen I played. I would scan the medallion for the first time and enter my pin. It would then indicate it was me every time I played. So I cannot see that happening either. No different than on any other ship when sticking in you room key card.

Wow.  There were a bunch of follow up posts from people who had the cash out to wrong medallion problem with the slot machines.

That you didn't certainly doesn't mean that the system is perfect.