Cruise Critic Community
Smokeyham

Recommendations for Year-Round Travel Insurance?

Hello,

In the past I have bought trip/travel insurance on a trip-by-trip basis.   Since retiring I am hoping to travel more, including hopefully a round the world cruise.

Can I get your recommendations for where to look for travel insurance that will cover me for anywhere/anytime, so I can have that issue covered?  I would like to have coverage for "Cancel for Any Reason."

Thanks for any recommendations.

So you're talking about both cancellation insurance and travel medical insurance?

I don't think you're going to find "cancel for any reason" insurance that's open-ended.  It would almost certainly always be tied to the cost of a particular cruise.  I can't comment on the medical, although I know that there's year-round medical evacuation insurance available to you Americans.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

So you're talking about both cancellation insurance and travel medical insurance?

I don't think you're going to find "cancel for any reason" insurance that's open-ended.  It would almost certainly always be tied to the cost of a particular cruise.  I can't comment on the medical, although I know that there's year-round medical evacuation insurance available to you Americans.

Thanks Wendy,

Yes, I was hoping to purchase one policy that would cover all contingencies.

Try Travel Guard for an annual policy.  It covers you for all travel beyond, I think, 150 miles from home.  It does have limits and will not cover you for full cancellation of a cruise, for example.  

As long as you understand that it is not without limits and for losses beyond those limits you are self-insured, it may work for you.  I figure that what I have saved by not buying cruise and air line's insurance over the years has been well worth it.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, SargassoPirate said:

As long as you understand that it is not without limits and for losses beyond those limits you are self-insured, it may work for you.  I figure that what I have saved by not buying cruise and air line's insurance over the years has been well worth it.

Hindsight is twenty twenty, for me.  I've always bought insurance, even when I was in my 50's.  But now in my 70's I am going to have to self-insure about half of my world cruise.  I could have paid for the damned thing with the premiums, but I always felt like it was tempting fate not to buy it.  Of course, I never travel without travel medical insurance.

Geo Blue offers US citizens health coverage outside the US for extended periods, like a subscription. They will also consider relocating you back home if they consider it necessary. Med Jet offers medical repatriation back to the US based on your decision, not theirs, but doesn’t offer any medical coverage abroad. Med Jet is on a subscription basis too. I believe, but am not sure, it’s only available for US citizens.  Depending on how long you’ll be away, they are relatively affordable. 

Neither one covers cancellation, missed ports, etc. 

Yes, some insurance companies have a "per trip" maximum day allowance...we used GeoBlue and MedJet for the years we've traveled a lot. "18 we did a World Cruise and several other trips...GeoBlue was the only one that worked out for those long trips.  We always have MedJet active. WE want to be in control of where we get our medical care. A "hospital" in some third world countries only has to have 1 doctor. Most medical insurance policies, when you read the fine print, says it will send you to the nearest appropriate medical facility...I want to be in charge of where that is.