Taking Meds on a Cruise

RWolver672

I have always advised that when you go on a cruise, you should take your medicine in the original bottles so that if something delays your cruise, you are well prepared.  Having read the blog that one person has written who is on the Diamond Princess, it makes even more sense.  In it he states that many are either taking their meds every other day or have run out completely.  The ship  is doing everything they can to hand out medications but are having problems getting some kinds.  

I personally  take eight different meds.  I have an empty shaving kit that I take all of my meds in their original bottles.  (Ninety day supply).  It doesn't take up that much room.  Will I need that many?  Hopefully not.  I have a passport in case I have to fly home to the US.  Will I need it?  Hopefully not.  I also get trip insurance.  Will I need it?  Hopefully not.  

The Coronavirus is a freak thing that doesn't happen often.  So was the ill fated Triumph cruise.  If it can happen, it will.  I feel sorry for those that came unprepared for an extended cruise and have run out of or are having trouble getting their meds.  Better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

If it is a prescribed drug and is controlled it should be taken in the original bottle. Vitamins and such should not matter. If you have a daily pill container and do not want to take the bottle you shuld take a copy of the prescription.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

If it is a prescribed drug and is controlled it should be taken in the original bottle. Vitamins and such should not matter. If you have a daily pill container and do not want to take the bottle you shuld take a copy of the prescription.

The point I was making is that taking a copy of the prescription is not going to do you any good if the medicine is not available.  Those bottles do not take up that much space.  

28 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

This has been discussed and debated on numerous threads here on the Carnival boards. Here is link to just one. As you can see some take in original bottles, others in pill carriers. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2677993-bringing-meds-on-board/?tab=comments#comment-57918340

Which is why I posted what I did.  The ones that take theirs in just pill carriers are risking running out of their medications should something unforeseen happen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RWolver672 said:

The point I was making is that taking a copy of the prescription is not going to do you any good if the medicine is not available.  Those bottles do not take up that much space.  

Which is why I posted what I did.  The ones that take theirs in just pill carriers are risking running out of their medications should something unforeseen happen.

Didn't mean to quote as this is not directed at anyone. Just a mouse slip while clicking. My apologies.

I can understand where everyone is coming from, however, my opinion is that I cannot and will not pack for a 2 week holiday and expect to be able to pack for every possible scenario and disaster that may occur.

2 week holiday, I'm packing 3 weekly prescription med containers.

If the odds and past experience tells me that there is less than a 75% chance of this or that happening, then I'm not packing it.

At home, I've got 2 weeks of food and water supplies in case of earthquake, tsunami, volcano, or other natural disaster.

On vacation,,,, I'm risking it and 99 times out of 100, life will be good. If it happens to be that 100th time, so be it. Nobody lives forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

I have always advised that when you go on a cruise, you should take your medicine in the original bottles so that if something delays your cruise, you are well prepared.  Having read the blog that one person has written who is on the Diamond Princess, it makes even more sense.  In it he states that many are either taking their meds every other day or have run out completely.  The ship  is doing everything they can to hand out medications but are having problems getting some kinds.  

I personally  take eight different meds.  I have an empty shaving kit that I take all of my meds in their original bottles.  (Ninety day supply).  It doesn't take up that much room.  Will I need that many?  Hopefully not.  I have a passport in case I have to fly home to the US.  Will I need it?  Hopefully not.  I also get trip insurance.  Will I need it?  Hopefully not.  

The Coronavirus is a freak thing that doesn't happen often.  So was the ill fated Triumph cruise.  If it can happen, it will.  I feel sorry for those that came unprepared for an extended cruise and have run out of or are having trouble getting their meds.  Better safe than sorry.

Everybody does something different, Im no different. I used to take the bottles when I flew to port and leave them home when I drive. Now I just pack my meds in daily holders for a week more than I will be away. Have never been asked by TSA or the cruise line what I have in them. 

• Like 1

DD31 is on 3 seizure meds - 23 pills a day.  We put her meds in 7-day pill containers,  and I carry the paper that comes attached to the bag when I renew her meds on the cruise with us.   I also always carry an extra 2 weeks of pills with us, which I think I will now increase - just in case.  Very scary if it is a med that may not be easily accessible in another country - or formulated the same.

Edited by pe4all

I take an extra week supply of prescription meds in pharmacy labeled bottles - just in case of any delays.  Supplements are just carried in a pill minder.  If I run out of those, my life will not suffer like it would if I did not have my prescription meds.  I do carry some otc pain meds, stomach meds as well.

• Like 1

lf.thumb.jpg.abb56e58a99e88e309bc6c935de5785d.jpg I

I use an organizer like this.  Instead of putting one days worth in each bag, I use one bag for each medication, red for morning and blue for evening.  I put twice as many in as I would need for our vacation.  As I am packing them up I snap a picture with my tablet (which comes with me) of each numbered bag, along with one of the pills and the original bottle with the prescription showing on it.  I take 8 pills and vitamins in the morning and 7 in the evening.  Taking all those bottles for me would be a huge hassle and space waster.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:30 AM, RWolver672 said:

And if you lose the bag, your whole 90 day supply could be lost.  Pack some extra - maybe a week's worth - but not your full prescription.

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

And if you lose the bag, your whole 90 day supply could be lost.  Pack some extra - maybe a week's worth - but not your full prescription.

Exactly.  This is why I take extra, but not my entire supply.  Doesn't help me out when I am on my trip, but at least I know I have some on hand when I get home.

4 hours ago, billslowsky said:

What possible scenario would you lose something that big? 

12 hours ago, billslowsky said:

5 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Got it.  It's a shaving kit, not a steamer trunk.

That shaving kit never leaves my sight until we're in our cabin.  No different than bringing on a CPAP machine or expensive cameras or jewelry.

I'm starting to regret ever posting a simple suggestion that it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Here is a space saving solution, especially if you take meds that come in large bottles. Look at the receipt and info that comes with your prescription. Many pharmacies include an identical label to the one on the bottle and it is stapled to the paperwork. If not, ask your pharmacy to print one for you. Put the appropriate number of pills in a sturdy ziplock bag and apply the label. You will be in compliance, especially if you need to show them for any reason and they will be in a waterproof container. They will not be crushproof but you can deal with that in a variety of ways.

I always pack at least a weeks worth of extra meds but more is better than less.

Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want them to be crushproof, you can ask for a small labeled bottle at the pharmacy.  Then, just keep that bottle as your travel bottle.  Every vacation, toss in your needed meds plus some extra in case of getting stuck somewhere.  That way you can leave your main supply at home in its big botle.