Shareholder benefit questions

uCruiser

1. Is the OBC for each 100 shares? Meaning, if you own 200 shares you will get 2x OBC? I just saw that somewhere, but that's not how I understand it.

2. If you don't spend the OBC during the cruise, is it lost or will they credit it to your credit card?

3. Can you use the OBC towards a drink package?

That's it for now 🙂

Thanks

1 minute ago, uCruiser said:

1. Is the OBC for each 100 shares? Meaning, if you own 200 shares you will get 2x OBC? I just saw that somewhere, but that's not how I understand it.

2. If you don't spend the OBC during the cruise, is it lost or will they credit it to your credit card?

That's it for now 🙂

Thanks

Unfortunately it is just one benefit.  Meaning 100 shares or 1000 shares equals the same OBC. The OBC is just for that particular cruise but there is no limit on the number of cruises you can take in a year and receive the OBC.

28 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Unfortunately it is just one benefit.  Meaning 100 shares or 1000 shares equals the same OBC. The OBC is just for that particular cruise but there is no limit on the number of cruises you can take in a year and receive the OBC.

And it is not refundable, so you have to use it by the end of the cruise.  It can be applied to anything on your Sail and Sign card, including gratuities.  If you don't think you your charges will equal or exceed your credit, don't prepay your gratuities.

And only 1 person per cabin gets the OBC, even if both or all of you each own 100 or more shares.

You can use it toward the drink package if you purchase it after you board the ship, but it's less expensive if you purchase it before you board.

Here's the link with all of the details:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

Edited by Garth2
additional info

8 hours ago, uCruiser said:

That's it for now 🙂

Thank

Shareholder OBC is,

1. 14 days or longer $250.00

2. 7 to 13 days.          $100.00

3. 6 days or less.        $50.00

You can request the benefit until sometime this summer when the program expires. Then a Carnival will renew the program for the second half of summer on. Hope this makes sense.

You can go on line and download the ‘’Carnival shareholder benefits’’. The info gives you all the Carnival Corp lines and where to send your requests. OBC is good on all Carnival lines

1 minute ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Hmm... I don't see anything requiring me to hold the stock for any length of time. I might just pick up 100 shares in my day trading account to get the credit and then dump the stock. 

There's certainly nothing preventing you do do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HillBilly Bob said:

I have earned a 47% increase...why would you dump a winner?  

Exactly, Nice Dividend to at $0.50 per share 4 x a year.

I have 200 Shares that is buying me a few dividend shares a year, been averaging two 8 days cruises a year so that's an additional $200.00  in my pocket.

With the Price down last year I got over $600.00 + between dividends and OBC as well as owning the stock.

Good time to buy if anyone is looking good a buy and hold stock if you know the risks.

In the past year it was up to just under 60 per share.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 3

To those who day trade CCL, I am curious as to how you could show that you own the shares at the time you book your cruise?

When you request the OBC, you need present proof of ownership, I assume Carnival confirms ownership at the time of booking the cruise, although I do not know that for a fact.

I have always used my most up to date monthly broker statement for ownership which is consistent with Carnival's guidance.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Fir

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

To those who day trade CCL, I am curious as to how you could show that you own the shares at the time you book your cruise?

Not a daytrader, but first time I recieved the OBC, I did not own the stock at the time of booking. 

For example. I booked the cruise in January. Bought the stock in May. Submitted the stockholder OBC in June. Cruised in November.  

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

When you request the OBC, you need present proof of ownership, I assume Carnival confirms ownership at the time of booking the cruise, although I do not know that for a fact.

I have always used my most up to date monthly broker statement for ownership which is consistent with Carnival's guidance.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Doesn't seem to require you own it at booking or sailing (just at the time of the request). I'll try sending them a statement of position first and if that doesn't work, I'll just make sure I'm holding the stock at the end of a month.

16 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

We always use our OBC for a wonderful last night in the Steakhouse.  It's a great finale to our cruise.  

interesting, I never allocated OBC to a specific event. I just know it's gone when we depart

I use the trade confirmation. as long the document shows your name and the shares, they should take it. I think they tell you to black out the rest of the personal information.

I usually buy it and will sell it a day or two later, or maybe that same day if I want to. just with a modest gain to take (used to try and gain enough to pay the transaction fee, but those are now gone in my Ally account) plus the OBC (nontaxable gain effectively). I make sure I stay away from known events (earnings releases or dividends). I will not own it at booking because we book up to 2 years in advance for some of our vacations, so somewhere between 6-9 months out I will execute the trade. as long as the sail date is within the the approved horizon you are golden. sometimes they will even apply it past the window if the associate doesn't care too much (that has happened on accident when we have had multiple cruises booked).

11 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

I have earned a 47% increase...why would you dump a winner?  

I'm pretty ignorant about stocks, so please excuse any stupidity herein, but...

Looking at the 5 year stock price of CCL, it was $45.46 back in mid January 2015. So $100 shares would cost $4546. On January 1, 2020 (to avoid any coronavirus drop which one could argue is an aberration) it was worth $5870, which an online calculator tells me is a 5.25% rate of return, including reinvestment of dividends. Let's say you take two 7 day cruises a year, which nets you another $1000 in OBC  bringing the total value to $6870, or an 8.61% rate of return.

If you invested in the S&P500 over the same time period, your return would be 12.2% including reinvestment of dividends. Which makes me question whether it is really a winner for those holding it over the long term. If you had your money in SP500 for that time it would be worth $8092 now. Meaning you'd have had to take 23 seven day cruises over 5 years, getting $100 OBC each time, to have better return than just putting it in the S&P500.

But I may be way off base here, because as I said I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

I own about 125 shares in my Roth IRA and another 100 in my wife's Roth.  The dividends are nice, the OBC is nice, the overall rate of return is not so nice.  Yes, we could do better.  However, because we are both retired, income is more important to us than overall rate of return.  CCL is one of many dividend paying issues that are providing us with an income stream we can live on.  The OBC is a "discount" on our cruise habit.  And yes, DW will be cruising without me next month.  That is why we both own 100+ shares.

Everyone's situation is different.  You need to do what is best for you.  Many people will tell you that you could do better, but if it works for you, it works.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, skiorcruise said:

The OBC is a "discount" on our cruise habit.  And yes, DW will be cruising without me next month.  That is why we both own 100+ shares.

Another option (if interested), is that if you had a join account (taxable investment account, obviously not an IRA), you could own the 100 shares jointly. if either one of you cruises you could get the credit.

However, with two accounts, if you ever booked yourselves in different cabins, you can each get the OBC this way (although retired couple probably don't have young kids to tow with you, but maybe grandkids?)

I think you are smart to focus on the "cash" returns of the dividends and OBC, if you dont need to touch the principal invested, then the total return is not as important.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:23 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm pretty ignorant about stocks, so please excuse any stupidity herein, but...

But I may be way off base here, because as I said I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Nope, you got the gist of it just fine. understanding stocks doesnt mean you know which one will be winners though 🙂 that's part of my problem, my crystal ball is cloudy.