Live Jewel 17th Feb 2020, A last minute change of plan.

kernow

2 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

I think I will have the Asian Soup, the pork chop and the hazelnut chocolate cake thanks!

Think I'm going for the fishcake and salmon, not sure about dessert😄

Good morning from the beach at Sir Bani Yas.

Last night on board was good. We went to the Diamond lounge about 7, it extends into the Vortex and was busy but there were seats available. Nothing to stop anyone walking in but the waiterdidask to see our seapass when we ordered. I usually other a Cosmo and it was a very good one🍸. We  then went onto dinner, nice tablemates and pretty good food. By the time we had finished it was after 10.30 (long dinner is no problem for us) and there was nothing on that appealed so we went back to the cabin. Hoping to stay up later tonight as it's the silent disco which is one of my favourites. 

There is free internet on the island but it doesn't seem good enough to post pics so I'll try again later.

• Like 2

Now some info on the island. Tender tickets were available to collect from 8am. We choose to get the 10-10.30 slot. It's beautiful weather today and calm seas so tender was lovely. Apparently they missed this stop last week as the sea was too rough. One thing I've noticed,  the weather in the Compass is completely wrong, temps are 25-30 everyday.

Some pics of the island, if anyone wants more info let me know.

20200218_080401.jpg

20200218_100354.jpg

20200218_100412.jpg

20200218_101338.jpg

20200218_101414.jpg

20200218_101838.jpg

20200218_101951.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kernow said:

Hi Julie We are sailing on the Jewel next week so following along. Love the shots of the island wasn’t sure what to expect. We should have been on a 10 day cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore this week but like you a long planned holiday was cancelled.

We fly out to Doha on Thursday for a few days with our son who lives there .

Im now looking forward to this holiday Thanks to your posts, it's taken a few days for everything to sink in. Happy cruising and thanks for posting.

6 hours ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Great photos thank you. Can you tell me if there was anywhere worthwhile for snorkelling on Sir Bani Yas? 

I honestly don't know but I didn't see anyone snorkelling. The sea was quite cold which I wasn't expecting so we only paddled. We were talking to a lady in the tender queue who said she had been swimming and once you got used to it, it was OK.

6 hours ago, ppcox said:

Hi Julie We are sailing on the Jewel next week so following along. Love the shots of the island wasn’t sure what to expect. We should have been on a 10 day cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore this week but like you a long planned holiday was cancelled.

We fly out to Doha on Thursday for a few days with our son who lives there .

Im now looking forward to this holiday Thanks to your posts, it's taken a few days for everything to sink in. Happy cruising and thanks for posting.

Yes, it's a shock when everything is changed last minute isn't it? I feel sorry for the people on the later Quantum cruises who still don't know what is going to happen. 

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday once you get here, we started to relax once we got to Dubai. Nice to get to spend some time with your son too. We are just docking in Doha as I write😀.

Dinner for us last night was in Giovannis. It's our favourite speciality restaurant and it didn't disappoint. The food was excellent and our server great, the best staff member we've come across so far. Quite a few of the staff on the ship seem to be just going through the motions doing their  job.

We had an 8.30 booking and there were only 3 tables already there, by the time we were on main course we were the only customers!

After dinner we listened to the singer in Schooner bar for a bit ( quite good) and then up to Vortex for the silent disco. They had security on the door preventing under 18s (do they always have this? Never noticed before). The disco started slowly but ended up being good fun. There was almost a fight on the dance floor at one point. There were one group who were very drunk (Brits unfortunately) and the 2 men' were jumping around on the dance floor taking up everyone's space. One of them fell into another guy who got angry and it almost came to blows. Not sure why they allow people to keep drinking when they get this bad especially when there are security around.

Some food pics

20200218_194554.jpg

20200218_194614.jpg

20200218_210056.jpg

20200218_210127.jpg

20200218_211113.jpg

20200218_211119.jpg

20200218_212256.jpg

Just got back after a few hours walking around Doha. What a nice place, it felt very safe, clean and friendly. There was a free shuttle from the terminal to the Islamic museum of art car park which took about 10 minutes.  There were taxis and people offering tours but it's another lovely day so we walked along the Corniche towards Souq Waqif, about a 15 minute walk. This was a lovely area, a big square and to the side a traditional souq which was great to walk around. Unlike some countries there was no one hassling you, the locals were chatty and friendly.

If you want to change money for local currency there is a counter in the terminal which will change any unused notes back at the same rate.

Some pics from our day

IMG_20200219_105913.jpg

IMG_20200219_113010.jpg

IMG_20200219_113912.jpg

IMG_20200219_114022.jpg

IMG_20200219_115804.jpg

IMG_20200219_120339.jpg

IMG_20200219_124614.jpg

IMG_20200219_130510.jpg

IMG_20200219_130650.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Great info and pics. Thank you. We'll be visiting Doha on a cruise in May and have bookmarked this to help with my planning

Be prepared for very hot weather in May🌞. When we were walking back today we saw a readout of 27 deg.  

• Thanks 1