Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

56 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So it is okay if they die because they are elderly? Their life is worth less? The Mom who is concerned may be elderly.

Sorry that you can not abide by an opinion other than your own but I am not going away. 

The problem is your "Opinion" is to be overdramatic.

What is it that you get out of fearmongering?

Thank you all for your thoughts on this situation.  I was able to talk my mom down last night after she spoke to their doctor.  The doc told her "I've told you since he (husband/dad) has gotten sick to avoid busy enclosed spaces... which would be like a cruise.  HOWEVER - that's also like a grocery store, costco, etc.  So I am not going to tell you not to go on the cruise."  We have convinced her to come along on the cruise!!!  So happy - as is my 9 year old that was looking forward to spending quality time with her grandma.  Thank you guys again for all your info - It was used to help dispel the misinfo that she was thinking. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

What do you get out of minimizing a serious situation? Are you in the travel industry? 

No I am with the normal people that don't panic when there is nothing to panic about.

I can be informed without hysteria. I cruise in three days and I'm not worried even a little bit.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

No I am with the normal people that don't panic when there is nothing to panic about.

I can be informed without hysteria. I cruise in three days and I'm not worried even a little bit.

Not even a little bit? Normal people would be concerned. Sounds like you  are in denial because your cruise is in three days. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Not even a little bit? Normal people would be concerned. Sounds like you  are in denial because your cruise is in three days. 

FWIW I'm with you on this. "Normal people" can have reasons for concern too. Everyone should evaluate the situation in view of their own circumstances. While I wouldn't be worried about cruising now I can see how some people would be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Mary- I am on your same sailing.  Hope you make it!  DH and I are always paranoid about getting a cold or Noro on the trip (has happened to us a few times), but we just try to be vigilant now (wash hands lots, etc).  I think we all will be ok 🙂

I will definitely be there!  It remains to be seen if I am sailing solo or with a friend 😀  I understand the worry (and I do travel with Clorox wipes) but I take reasonable precautions and so far so good... never got sick on a cruise yet.

To the OP, I’m happy for you all that she decided  to go on the cruise.

I would go on a cruise right now.  I have a cruise booked for November and if things get out of hand and there is great threat I simply won’t go. I wouldn’t worry about the lost $ as they are spent anyway I just wouldn’t want it to cost me to get a potential deadly virus.

I hope it fades away by November though as I am really looking forward to it.  Just be clear I too would be more concerned of being delayed getting off versus catching the virus.

Edited by #55worktoplay

1 hour ago, #55worktoplay said:

To the OP, I’m happy for you all that she decided  to go on the cruise.

I would go on a cruise right now.  I have a cruise booked for November and if things get out of hand and there is great threat I simply won’t go. I wouldn’t worry about the lost $ as they are spent anyway I just wouldn’t want it to cost me to get a potential deadly virus.

I hope it fades away by November though as I am really looking forward to it.  Just be clear I too would be more concerned of being delayed getting off versus catching the virus.

Well just don't look up how many deaths in USA this flu season ...and that is not out of hand or head in the sand .

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Ok sure that’s why.  🙄

concerned about what exactly? No confirmed cases in Florida, people in China can’t go anywhere and people that have been to China and are in the US are past the 14 day incubation period. 

Sorry that I look at it from a rational perspective. My only concern is making sure no one catches a cold before we board. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trajan said:

I never said Disney. People just keep assuming.

Actually, I spelled out "touristy spots" TWICE and just used Disney as an example....

You're WAY more likely to get sick going to standard touristy spots in Florida than on a cruise.... how often do you see Disney or any other tourist place disinfecting every single handrail, toilet, table, etc.?   

I've never seen any hotel or TOURISTY SPOT go around cleaning and disinfecting the way I do on a cruise ship.  

To the OP...so glad that your Mom has decided to sail. We just sailed Harmony on the Feb 9 sailing. Excellent, wonderful cruise. Harmony has hand washing stations everywhere...literally everywhere...there's a sink outside the Park Cafe even right there in Central Park, up at Mini-bites, etc etc. I am a firm believer in being aware of what I touch (watch out for the handrails, avoid idly running my hands along surfaces, etc) and then what I do with my hands (DON'T touch my face, etc) and regularly washing my hands using a thorough and proper hand washing technique.

We survived a whole week without catching anything...I'm sure that your family can too. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

To the OP...so glad that your Mom has decided to sail. We just sailed Harmony on the Feb 9 sailing. Excellent, wonderful cruise. Harmony has hand washing stations everywhere...literally everywhere...there's a sink outside the Park Cafe even right there in Central Park, up at Mini-bites, etc etc. I am a firm believer in being aware of what I touch (watch out for the handrails, avoid idly running my hands along surfaces, etc) and then what I do with my hands (DON'T touch my face, etc) and regularly washing my hands using a thorough and proper hand washing technique.

We survived a whole week without catching anything...I'm sure that your family can too. 🙂

15 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Actually, I spelled out "touristy spots" TWICE and just used Disney as an example....

You're WAY more likely to get sick going to standard touristy spots in Florida than on a cruise.... how often do you see Disney or any other tourist place disinfecting every single handrail, toilet, table, etc.?   

I've never seen any hotel or TOURISTY SPOT go around cleaning and disinfecting the way I do on a cruise ship.  

?? You are putting the cart before the horse. They don’t do all that extra cleaning and the problems gone. They do all that extra cleaning because the problem of viral infections is so persistent on cruise ships that if they don’t it will get truly out of hand. We all know of outbreaks on ships that supposedly have these great washing routines.

And re touristy spots, no offence but you sound nuts. I was simply referring to your and a previous posters comment about Disney. Didn’t mean to bug you.

And apologies for any confusion, quote from Anita Latte is posted by mistake. I tried editing it out without messing up the rest of the post but my iPhone skills are not so hot.

Edited by trajan

58 minutes ago, trajan said:

?? You are putting the cart before the horse. They don’t do all that extra cleaning and the problems gone. They do all that extra cleaning because the problem of viral infections is so persistent on cruise ships that if they don’t it will get truly out of hand. We all know of outbreaks on ships that supposedly have these great washing routines.

The reason that cruise ships have viral outbreaks is because of the PASSENGERS, not because there is something inherent in cruise ship design that makes them spew viruses everywhere.  People are nasty creatures with horrid personal hygiene and they spread their germs everywhere because they're too lazy to wash their hands or sneeze/cough into their elbow like civilized beings.

Cruise ships are also required to REPORT when sicknesses spread to a certain percentage of their guests, and the only way they have knowledge of that is because their passengers are limited to one medical facility -- that's never the case with any land-based touristy spot / hotel / resort / whatever. 

Every single fall, usually in November, at least one elementary school in my town will shut down unexpectedly for several days in a row because a gastrointestinal virus has started spreading to a significant number of people and they take time off to stop the person-to-person spread and disinfect the facility.  Does this mean we should shut down all schools everywhere?  Nope.  Just means we need to teach the kids to wash their hands better. Illnesses will spread everywhere, not just on a cruise ship.

The fact that we don't have more sickness on cruise ships is a testament to how well they keep up on the cleaning process, because the ships aren't the problem -- the people (passengers) are.  And since they can't control the behavior of the people no matter how hard they try (washy-washy!), the cruise lines affect the environment that is under their control.  

Land-based entities have no incentive to keep things clean, because they don't have to report illnesses or even keep records on them.  But people pick up viruses in those places every single day and spread them everywhere, make no mistake about it.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

Just means we need to teach the kids to wash their hands better.  

Few people wash their hands properly in my observations. Soap is a surfactant and it only works if you give it time and rub it all over your hands vigorously to lift whatever has stuck to your hands and then be able to rinse that off. The employees must wash their hands for 20-30 seconds signs everywhere...most people don't...it's about the equivalent of singing Happy Birthday to yourself or the ABC song.

We all should look like surgeons if we are washing our hands properly and getting the soap all over properly.

• Like 1

Just now, Anita Latte said:

Few people wash their hands properly in my observations. Soap is a surfactant and it only works if you give it time and rub it all over your hands vigorously to lift whatever has stuck to your hands and then be able to rinse that off. The employees must wash their hands for 20-30 seconds signs everywhere...most people don't...it's about the equivalent of singing Happy Birthday to yourself or the ABC song.

We all should look like surgeons if we are washing our hands properly and getting the soap all over properly.

GURL, you are preaching to the choir here!  SOOOOOO disgusting seeing people come out of a stall, trickle some water over their fingertips, and walk out the door.... why do they even bother?   BLECH!  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:41 PM, Lostdave_98 said:

Passport information...
When they scan your passport, they know where you have been.

If you travel on multiple passports they will want to see the other passports.

Not all passports from all countries are scannable, correct?

Cruise line has no way to know that you have more than one passport.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, twangster said:

China to Australia is around 7,400 km.  China to Alaska is 7,100km.

So if proximity is a concern, the U.S. is more at risk.

Australia has 15 cases

Canada has 7 cases

U.S. has 15 cases.

US has more than 30 cases

Those 14 cases are neither in DP column nor in Japan column nor in USA column, it seems. I cud be wrong.

7 hours ago, BeachChik said:

Still at it huh.

The people that died were over 80 years old and no doubt had other medical issues.

Something like 20,000 have died from the flu since October. Are you running around like a crazy person about this too?

Is it? The Chinese doctor who blew the whistle on coronavirus was under 40 and in perfectly good health. He's now dead. Go ahead and explain this.

21 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Is it? The Chinese doctor who blew the whistle on coronavirus was under 40 and in perfectly good health. He's now dead. Go ahead and explain this.

Reading comprehension is important.  Try to keep up.

This conversation was about the TWO ELDERLY PEOPLE on the Diamond Princess who died.  

Nobody is saying that nobody under the age of 80 has died from this.  JUST THOSE TWO PEOPLE.

However, INFLUENZA has killed WAAAAAAAY more people worldwide than coronavirus. 

Got it?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Keep wearing your tinfoil hat. And don’t leave your house because you are at risk every time you do. A bus could run you over, you could get in a car accident, you could come into contact with someone with Ebola. 🤷‍♀️ 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

“The report by the CCDC shows the province's death rate is 2.9% compared with 0.4% in the rest of the country.”

“It finds that 80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and only 4.7% as critical. The number of deaths among those infected, known as the fatality rate, remains low but rises among those over 80 years old.“

“You can study only the cases you find, and other scientists have estimated there could be 10 times as many people infected as are ending up in the official statistics. That means the overall death rate is likely to be lower than the one reported in this study. “

https://www.washingtonpost.com

“But the virus’s destructive potential has overshadowed one encouraging aspect of this outbreak: So far, about 82 percent of the cases — including all 14 in the United States — have been mild, with symptoms that require little or no medical intervention. And that proportion may be an undercount.”

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/coronavirus-severe-seniors.html

"The data coming out of China continues to say that the people who are at higher risk for severe disease and death are those who are older and with underlying health conditions,” 

• Like 2