Refunds from Oceania

stageberglaw

Scheduled with Oceania for March 4 trip starting in Singapore and supposed to end in Hong Kong.  Oceania changed itinerary with offer of 25% refund and 25% credit on another trip. New plan does not work as Thailand (three stops) won't accept boat.  I have demanded a full refund with no favorable response. We are not going on this trip, and will pursue what legal rights we have.  Anyone else with same problem?

Edited by Host Kat
Changed thread title to Refunds from Oceania

17 minutes ago, stageberglaw said:

Scheduled with Oceania for March 4 trip starting in Singapore and supposed to end in Hong Kong.  Oceania changed itinerary with offer of 25% refund and 25% credit on another trip. New plan does not work as Thailand (three stops) won't accept boat.  I have demanded a full refund with no favorable response. We are not going on this trip, and will pursue what legal rights we have.  Anyone else with same problem?

also wondering if this could qualify for a class action suit

Thousands of people have the same problem, You will not get full refund so try to understand Oceanias and every other cruise lines position..I suggest you try insurance..or try to negotiate something for 2021

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

also wondering if this could qualify for a class action suit

Unfortunately, the fine print in the "Terms and Conditions" that govern these trips, you wave your rights to pursue a class action.  The U.S. Supreme Court has approved of these class action waivers.

9 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Thousands of people have the same problem, You will not get full refund so try to understand Oceanias and every other cruise lines position..I suggest you try insurance..or try to negotiate something for 2021

Jancruz1

yes it's not Oceania's fault but surely they can be a little more accommodating...full refund in the form of a future cruise credit would be a reasonable response

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, stageberglaw said:

If you booked with a credit card that covers cancellation it would not be a problem  up to $20K

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stageberglaw said:

Unfortunately, the fine print in the "Terms and Conditions" that govern these trips, you wave your rights to pursue a class action.  The U.S. Supreme Court has approved of these class action waivers.

But are you saying (based on your call sign) we may be able to take legal action?

Because of this latest virus , things are rough in the cruise industry. I suspect new bookings are down by at least 20% or more. This leaves the industry and its customers in a new place. So, the solution for booked cruises may be not meet anyone’s normal standards. 

• Host Kat changed the title to Refunds from Oceania
1 hour ago, eldaradoe said:

But are you saying (based on your call sign) we may be able to take legal action?

No legal action in a court per the ticket contract (unless for personal injury).

No class action per the ticket contract

Disputes must be settled by binding arbitration in Miami of course...

Unless Oceania cancels the cruise you will not get a refund or even an 100% FCC.  That may change especially considering the number of countries refusing cruise vessels (all but Singapore which is encouraging it)

Edited by PaulMCO

I believe you can sue anyone at any time regardless of what the contract says.  Doesn't mean you will win, but it might not hurt to try.  Look at the guy that dropped his granddaughter off Royal Caribbean.  

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

I believe you can sue anyone at any time regardless of what the contract says.  Doesn't mean you will win, but it might not hurt to try.  Look at the guy that dropped his granddaughter off Royal Caribbean.  

That may not be the best example, as the idiot in question is presently out on bond for negligent homicide

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/us/grandfather-cruise-ship-death.html

He was obviously 100% to blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

9 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

That may not be the best example, as the idiot in question is presently out on bond for negligent homicide

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/us/grandfather-cruise-ship-death.html

He was obviously 100% to blame.

I have no idea what that would have to do with this unless the grandfather worked for Oceania....OMG how crazy this world is

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

That falls within the Ticket contract as personal injury...  unfortunately...

22 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

yes it's not Oceania's fault but surely they can be a little more accommodating...full refund in the form of a future cruise credit would be a reasonable response

Reasonable to who????

Jancruz1

• Like 2

I agree that this is not the cruise that was purchased previously I am a physician and think that this cruise is of significant risk to passengers, crew and the general public upon passengers return home. The risk is not only of infection but of signifiant infrastructure chaos related to potential for cancelled flights, further restrictions to those who have been in Singapore and risk of quarantine. All other cruise lines other than Oceania and Regents have cancelled this itinerary. 

All of our flights to and from the ship have been cancelled due to cancellations of our flights through and out of Hong Kong. This is a major deviation of itinerary with a change in disembarkation port and a significant increased health risk. They refuse to advise us what their plans are. Their screening techniques have now been shown to be infective for coronavirus. Every other cruise line has coronavirus updates on their web site but not Oceania. We are in the process of looking into what our legal options are under the circumstances. The American public also needs to now that people are being financially pressured into embarking on a cruise that may bring them back to the US with the ability to infect others. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, irr said:

I agree that this is not the cruise that was purchased previously I am a physician and think that this cruise is of significant risk to passengers, crew and the general public upon passengers return home. The risk is not only of infection but of signifiant infrastructure chaos related to potential for cancelled flights, further restrictions to those who have been in Singapore and risk of quarantine. All other cruise lines other than Oceania and Regents have cancelled this itinerary. 

All of our flights to and from the ship have been cancelled due to cancellations of our flights through and out of Hong Kong. This is a major deviation of itinerary with a change in disembarkation port and a significant increased health risk. They refuse to advise us what their plans are. Their screening techniques have now been shown to be infective for coronavirus. Every other cruise line has coronavirus updates on their web site but not Oceania. We are in the process of looking into what our legal options are under the circumstances. The American public also needs to now that people are being financially pressured into embarking on a cruise that may bring them back to the US with the ability to infect others. 

yes I agree 200 % .....at this point their decisions to me as a business owner makes absolute no sense.

1 hour ago, irr said:

Again you like to rattle stuff without facts. 

1) FACT 1 -- All other cruise lines other than Oceania and Regents have cancelled this itinerary.   Crystal has not cancelled.  Symphony just left and is doing a Singapore to Singapore cruise..   Serenity is also schedule to port in Singapore.  Crystal did offer 100% FCC for those that did not want to go.  But they are still cruising with 200 happy cruisers.

2) FACT 2 - Oceania does have a section on their web site.  So does Regent..  The links are at the bottom of their homepage.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

I do agree with one item that Oceania should bend and provide an FCC for customers that feel uncomfortable going.  That just makes good business/customer relations sense. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Again you like to rattle stuff without facts. 

1) FACT 1 -- All other cruise lines other than Oceania and Regents have cancelled this itinerary.   Crystal has not cancelled.  Symphony just left and is doing a Singapore to Singapore cruise..   Serenity is also schedule to port in Singapore.  Crystal did offer 100% FCC for those that did not want to go.  But they are still cruising with 200 happy cruisers.

2) FACT 2 - Oceania does have a section on their web site.  So does Regent..  The links are at the bottom of their homepage.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

I do agree with one item that Oceania should bend and provide an FCC for customers that feel uncomfortable going.  That just makes good business/customer relations sense. 

Oceania hasn't updated that since the 12th and the fact is they are not offering a fcc .... What else can be said

Oceania wants to update you on the status of our scheduled cruises to Asia this year. Out of an abundance of caution and as a result of the uncertainty surrounding port entry and berthing availability in various destinations in Asia, Oceania Cruises has made the prudent decision to cancel all voyages in Asia through June 2020. Our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is uncompromising and always our number one priority. Accordingly, the following sailings have been cancelled:

• Nautica March 4, 2020 roundtrip Singapore
  • Nautica March 18, 2020 Singapore to Tokyo
  • Nautica April 3, 2020 roundtrip Tokyo
  • Insignia April 9, 2020 Cape Town to Singapore
  • Nautica April 13, 2020 Tokyo to Singapore
  • Nautica May 1, 2020 Singapore to Dubai
  • Insignia May 9, 2020 roundtrip Singapore
  • Insignia May 24, 2020 Singapore to Tokyo
  • Insignia June 11, 2020 Tokyo to San Francisco

The Nautica May 19, 2020 voyage from Dubai to Rome will operate as planned.

All guests on cancelled sailings will receive a 100% refund of the cruise fare paid along with a Future Cruise Credit, valid for any 2020 sailing, equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid to recognize their patience and understanding with this evolving situation. The Future Cruise Credit must be utilized for a 2020 voyage

Jancruz1

• Like 2

Oceania wants to update you on the status of our scheduled cruises to Asia this year. Out of an abundance of caution and as a result of the uncertainty surrounding port entry and berthing availability in various destinations in Asia, Oceania Cruises has made the prudent decision to cancel all voyages in Asia through June 2020. Our commitment to the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is uncompromising and always our number one priority. Accordingly, the following sailings have been cancelled:

All guests on cancelled sailings will receive a 100% refund of the cruise fare paid along with a Future Cruise Credit, valid for any 2020 sailing, equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid to recognize their patience and understanding with this evolving situation. The Future Cruise Credit must be utilized for a 2020 voyage

Jancruz1

Thank you for sharing this. I hope the airlines will be understanding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

42 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Where did this come from?  It is not on Oceania’s web site.