Corona virus "exploding" in Italy today

HPSE81

From CNBC blog ...

"10:56 am: WHO says new cases in Iran and Italy are ‘deeply concerning’

While cases in China have slowed, the “sudden increase in new cases” outside of China is “deeply concerning,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, said at a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. Outside of China, there are 2,074 cases across 28 countries, including 23 deaths, he said. “What we see is epidemics in different parts of the world, affecting countries in different ways and requiring a tailored response,” he said. —Lovelace"

42 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I think people need to get a grip and stop listening to media hype, yes it's concerning but most people only have very mild symptoms.

if I listened to all I hear about travel, I wouldn't leave home.

tell that to the governments and companies that are shutting things down. I'm not worried about the virus specifically either - but I am worried about our upcoming cruise missing port stops, possibly getting cancelled, quarantines, flight cancellations, museums closing, etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I think people need to get a grip and stop listening to media hype, yes it's concerning but most people only have very mild symptoms.

if I listened to all I hear about travel, I wouldn't leave home.

well at least that one count for the calm column.  I’m still in the panic corner.  I don’t care if the symptoms are just mild, I don’t want exposure to the virus at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ebonybee said:

well at least that one count for the calm column.  I’m still in the panic corner.  I don’t care if the symptoms are just mild, I don’t want exposure to the virus at all.

I don't want to get quarantined for a month, not able to work, take care of my pet, separated from my husband.  

• Like 3

MSC has updated their Coronavirus travel restrictions today (February 24, 2020). Their Web Site now states this:

"We are denying boarding to anyone from high-risk areas:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a stateroom).

• Similarly, anyone who lives in, or has travelled to, from or through any of the following towns in central northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: Casalpusterlengo, Codogno, Castiglione d'Adda, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo, San Fiorano and Vò. These are the municipalities that are subject to quarantine measures put in place by the Italian health authorities. "

I wonder how many more locations will be included in the exclusion and how this will affect sailings leaving Italian ports. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2013cruiser2013 said:

MSC has updated their Coronavirus travel restrictions today (February 24, 2020). Their Web Site now states this:

"We are denying boarding to anyone from high-risk areas:

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a stateroom).

• Similarly, anyone who lives in, or has travelled to, from or through any of the following towns in central northern Italy in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access: Casalpusterlengo, Codogno, Castiglione d'Adda, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo, San Fiorano and Vò. These are the municipalities that are subject to quarantine measures put in place by the Italian health authorities. "

I wonder how many more locations will be included in the exclusion and how this will affect sailings leaving Italian ports. 

and which ports will be cancelled? we have 3 Italian ports....

29 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

People from infected areas are denied access to ships. This is the least they can do to protect others. But who pays for the cruise tickets of those people denied access. Do they get refunded by the cruise line?

Yes they do, that's what's happened so far. getting like the Italian cruise line will be banning Italians!!

13 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Yes they do, that's what's happened so far. getting like the Italian cruise line will be banning Italians!!

Imagine if the two major Italian cruise lines have to start banning Italians. That would be a sizeable portion of their higher level staff members, including the captains. Also, many, many of their passengers. 

MSC announced several weeks ago that they were not allowing new  crew members from China which was a good move. Quite a sticky wicket!  There were no Chinese owned ships in the Caribbean when the outbreak began, so the outbreak in Italy will be uncharted territory. We will see if they ban Italians.

8 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Just saw on a FB MSC group that the virus has now been found in Palermo. Officials are scrambling to try and find others that were on the same flight with this person. 

It is very hard for every body, passengers, crew members, officers, etc. The virus is spreading. We are supposed to board our MSC ship that goes through several ports in the Mediterranean and ends in Venice. This morning Spain reported having a whole hotel (about 1000 guests) quarantined in Tenerife. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

My sister works in Italy as an interpreter. She says that everything is quite calm there and nothing to worry about. I mean a few sick people wont make up a crisis. Dont be fulled my mass media and fake news

It depends on where in Italy.  My SIL is in the midst of all of this - only a few Km from lock-down.  I have had to find hand wash to send out - there is non in the shops no masks either - the shops have now been more or less cleared out of food.  All schools, uni churches restaurants have been closed. Even in Milan the Schools and Unis are closed my BIL is a lecturer and is now off.  My niece is a nurse there and I can assure you they are concerned. 

• Like 2

cruising in 2 weeks. If the majority of the ports deny cruise ships what do you think MSC will do? Cancel completely? they cruise to Rome (civi), Palermo Italy (confirmed case), Malta, Barcelona, Marseille france and Genoa (not too far from the lockdown towns).

I am having my doubts that Malta will allow a cruise ship from italy to dock soon, especially with the stop in palermo (coronavirus case) the day before malta . there is already reports there that the port workers are refusing to enter cargo ships from italy.

Edited by floridian1